Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 15 2013, 04:55 AM   #121
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Re: Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
And despite Mr. Fandango's still bizarrely angry comments about the people who suggested it as an explanation, I specifically said multiple times that the show wouldn't actually follow the laws of physics like the showrunners claimed even when things were finally explained (see the first link above). I said it would be a piecemeal hybrid of scientific terms, pseudoscience, and pure magic just like Lost.
Why should I give a damn what some random person on the Internet said on a message forum? My "anger" was aimed at the actual people who matter and what they said, and that's the brunt of what I've had to say on the subject. Your words/predictions had/have/will have absolutely no meaning or weight whatsoever despite your apparently lofty opinion of yourself.

So yay, you guessed it would be magic just like everyone else with half a brain did. Good for you. In no way, shape, or form does that not mean the showrunners didn't blatantly lie to us, nor is that an excuse to forgive them for being so full of shit. Especially considering the "quality" of the show. If it were good or compelling, it could at least be forgiven. I just wanted to stick with it long enough to see if they'd surprise me by actually living up to their bullshit.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 11:10 AM   #122
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Mister Fandango

"Your words/predictions had/have/will have absolutely no meaning or weight whatsoever despite your apparently lofty opinion of yourself."

You are talking about yourself.

And, in the future, you should really avoid getting emotionally involved to the degree you did in a show you (I assume you are included in the "everyone with half a brain" category) could clearly see you will not like.
Old April 15 2013, 03:34 PM   #123
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
And despite Mr. Fandango's still bizarrely angry comments about the people who suggested it as an explanation, I specifically said multiple times that the show wouldn't actually follow the laws of physics like the showrunners claimed even when things were finally explained (see the first link above). I said it would be a piecemeal hybrid of scientific terms, pseudoscience, and pure magic just like Lost.
Why should I give a damn what some random person on the Internet said on a message forum? My "anger" was aimed at the actual people who matter and what they said, and that's the brunt of what I've had to say on the subject. Your words/predictions had/have/will have absolutely no meaning or weight whatsoever despite your apparently lofty opinion of yourself.
Apparently you did give a damn about the opinions of random people on the internet when you made this post directed at sojourner "and people like him" which was not only in your usual weirdly out of place hostile style but factually incorrect.

sojourner wrote: View Post
And individuals like you said that it would be perfectly reasonable once we learned the reasons behind it.
I'm not sure who these people "like me" are. as I was one of the first people to say "magic" in this thread.
That passage wasn't directed at the showrunners, that was a criticism of people in the thread. And that's the misconception you were making that I was correcting with quotes right from when the show started.

So yay, you guessed it would be magic just like everyone else with half a brain did. Good for you.
No, clearly you're not angry or anything. Try harder to be convincing. I love how you turn the thing around that you just claimed we weren't saying and make it into an insult when we point out that we had been saying it all along. Well done.

The only reason I even responded was because you started getting self-righteous again and misrepresenting what people had said. Otherwise I wouldn't even have cared.

In no way, shape, or form does that not mean the showrunners didn't blatantly lie to us, nor is that an excuse to forgive them for being so full of shit. Especially considering the "quality" of the show. If it were good or compelling, it could at least be forgiven. I just wanted to stick with it long enough to see if they'd surprise me by actually living up to their bullshit.
Relax, you'll live longer.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 03:39 PM   #124
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I wasn't the one waving my dick around, telling other people to basically shut up because I, and I alone, predicted the reality of the show and in my delusional mind decreed that it held more weight than what the showrunners have said. And by doing so, I have *negated* what the showrunners said, for I am Locutus of Borg, and I am the all-powerful random internet person who's voice is the only one that matters. <waves hands around>

I was bitching about the show and, more specifically, the lies the showrunners said about it. So no, I wasn't talking about myself. If anything, I was venting frustration at the show, not holding my personal opinion up high and decreeing that since I said something, nothing else anyone who matters said.

And as I said, I only stuck with the show up to this point simply to see if they would live up to those lies and somehow surprise me by having a plausible reason for the blackout. They didn't. So I vented. Deal with it.
Old April 15 2013, 03:40 PM   #125
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Go fuck yourself, troll. Just because your name is green doesn't mean you're not an asshole.
Old April 15 2013, 04:20 PM   #126
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

You're precious.

I never told anyone to shut up, "basically" or otherwise.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 06:38 PM   #127
tighr
Commodore

Soo.... back to the thread.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
You have to consider that the title of the show is "Revolution", which implies that an actual revolution needs to take place at some point during the course of the series.
The existence of the Monroe Republic would seem to support that point.
And one of the differences between this show and a show like "The Walking Dead" is that by placing emphasis on a background story involving a Revolution, you essentially give the show an endgame. This show inevitably must build towards that Revolution and the conclusion of that Revolution. Walking Dead could go on forever, and there are infinite stories that could be told.

To compare it to Star Trek, that's one of the differences between TNG and Voyager... Voyager was trying to get home, and that had a finite (though nebulous) point at which the show would end. TNG could have conceivably gone on for eternity, had there been stories to support the episodes and cast members who wouldn't age (and you could always swap out cast members like on ER, or like any of the long running daytime soap operas). Even DS9 qualifies, because the Dominion War was merely a story arc in the overall story of a space station called "DS9". We could have had a season 8 after the war ended. But once Voyager gets home, the story of "Voyager getting home" is over. Any Season 8 would have had to have a new plot.
Old April 15 2013, 08:08 PM   #128
Tom
Rear Admiral

Well maybe its a good thing we don't know how the nanites actually work, otherwise we would have to worry about some idiots in our world making and using them. LOL

i don't buy that they absorbs energy (where would it go from there otherwise?) but more than likely dissipates electric fields some how, almost like a constant EMP.
Old April 15 2013, 09:50 PM   #129
Neroon
Mod of balance

Go fuck yourself, troll. Just because your name is green doesn't mean you're not an asshole.
Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM

You're precious.

I never told anyone to shut up, "basically" or otherwise.
That underlined portion really doesn't help matters, either.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 11:13 PM   #130
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Due to the NBC news coverage of the Boston bombing Revolution is being preempted tonight: https://twitter.com/TVGuideMagazine/...15656045133824
Old April 23 2013, 08:42 AM   #131
Yoda
Rear Admiral

So.. after the fall of civilization, with no power... a woman rises to power to rule Georgia. Oh and she also banged General Matheson... Really guys?
Old April 23 2013, 02:24 PM   #132
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Every time I see this woman I still can't believe how bad her hair cut was on 24.

Why couldn't a woman come to power?

Georgia seems to be based on technology, finance and trade rather than military oppression.

She created an economy.

Matheson is still taking tribute/taxes in perishables from the farming communes.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 02:42 PM   #133
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Can a women even come to power in Georgia as it is now? Without the worldwide apocalypse...? Have they had a female governor? Senator? Christ... I'm looking at the current list of congressmen... thought maybe I had a winner... a "Lynn". But nope, just a dude named "Lynn". It looks like they had a couple in the past in Dem districts, but c'mon.

Throw in the total collapse of the society that is still very much working towards equality and...? Woman President and people leisurely shopping for hats? I'm gonna have to disagree with their speculative fiction on this one, sorry.
Old April 23 2013, 10:41 PM   #134
Marten
Captain

Perhaps they knew eachother pre-blackout? There is really no way of two leaders in a blacked out world to get to know each other to the point where they can let one another down on a personal level. That they'd ever meet in person seems like a stretch.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 12:39 AM   #135
tighr
Commodore

Yes, because having a female President in a post-apocalyptic future is more unbelievable than quadrillions of nanites that stop electricity, we breathe them, and they cure cancer. Got it.

Glad everyone pointed that out, otherwise my disbelief would have stayed suspended.