Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 15 2013, 01:08 PM   #1
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
First World Problems

So this is my most lamest ever first world problem:

At the end of last winter my heater had some huge problem and I got repair guy out to fix it. He charged me 80.00 to do this and when he was done he whipped out his trusty Carbon Monoxide tester and informed me that the heater had FAILED. But, don't worry, we weren't all brain damaged from blasting the thing all winter long, it's just that accepted government rate for monoxide exuding from home heaters was now 0% and my .01% reading meant he had to rip the guts out of the thing to make it unusable BY LAW and how would I like to pay the 80.00. So 1080.00 later I had a new heater. And tonight it was finally cold enough to turn it on.

I have been sitting in the same seat to watch the telly since I moved into this house, sitting in the same seat MY SEAT sucking down the carbon monoxide because this seat is facing the heater and that's why it's my seat, because it is the warmest. Well tonight I popped in a movie I hadn't seen in years (Igby Goes Down, mysteriously Sarandon has become hot since I last watched this ?!) and settled in front of the glorious heat and.. wtf. The fan is now on bottom of the new heater and all the freaking air is blasting into my face!! It is horrible. It is actually blowing hot air like a jet at me in my personal warmest seat and has now rendered my seat unusable. Yes actually unusable. So unusable that no one else will ever want to sit in this seat during the winter and I will be reduced to fighting over the other seats like a common child.

So what's your dumbest first world problem. Please, no posting about your terminal illness, this is for shallow people only.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: First World Problems

The left headphone for my Ipod has stopped working meaning that I will have to BORROW some headphones off my housemate as there is no way I am going running this evening without musical accompaniment.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 01:55 PM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

You will get your housemate's ear germs. His WAX and ear hairs will enter your ears.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan (US Army Officer)

I have my own room and free wi-fi internet, but the internet sucks and is slow and therefore I have problems on Skype when I want to see/talk to family back home. Even though it is free, I have regular internet at my duty work place (but restrictive on certain websites), free phone calls back to the states, I still get pissed about not being able to Skype very well.

I still consider this a first world problem even though I'm in a third world country since it is internet (I bet the Afghans right outside the wire have better internet than we do )
Old April 15 2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
You will get your housemate's ear germs. His WAX and ear hairs will enter your ears.
I know but the earliest I'll be able to drive to the shops to buy some more is tomorrow. TOMORROW.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:19 PM   #6
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I haven't played Facebook Scrabble since EA Games bought it and made it look like Words With Friends, because the color scheme is so ugly it hurts my eyes.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
ITL
Vice Admiral

I have a USB mouse that sometimes freezes. I have to lean over and UNPLUG it. And then PLUG IT BACK IN AGAIN to make it work.
Old April 15 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

I have to flip my USB sticks three times before they'll go into the damn socket
Old April 15 2013, 02:42 PM   #9
not
Lieutenant Commander

"this is for shallow people only"....perfect! I need to get to 50 posts to get rid of the "50 posts message and frankly, I forgot what it is for but I'm at 49
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
not
Lieutenant Commander

NOW 50! Magic happen!!
Old April 15 2013, 02:53 PM   #11
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
Yeah...I know it's probably just confirmation bias, but it really does seem that I try the wrong side every fucking time. I do the exact same thing when I try to connect my insulin infusion set to my body.

Maybe there is actually something about a USB design that does cause people to attempt to put it in the wrong way up more often than not? Some quality that is on the bottom of the USB that we usually associate with being on the top of things.

View my art!
Old April 15 2013, 03:27 PM   #12
ByrdMan
Commodore

View ByrdMan's Twitter Profile

I've been having trouble setting up a VPN connection with my new laptop, so today I actually had to put on pants and drive into the office.
ByrdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 03:34 PM   #13
not
Lieutenant Commander

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
Yeah...I know it's probably just confirmation bias, but it really does seem that I try the wrong side every fucking time. I do the exact same thing when I try to connect my insulin infusion set to my body.

Maybe there is actually something about a USB design that does cause people to attempt to put it in the wrong way up more often than not? Some quality that is on the bottom of the USB that we usually associate with being on the top of things.
A paint pen is your friend. A dot of silver paint or any color that contrasts will make your life less 1st world. I also mark what any connection device is used for.
Old April 15 2013, 03:41 PM   #14
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^But then what would we have to bitch about?

View my art!
Old April 15 2013, 03:54 PM   #15
ITL
Vice Admiral

*sad sigh*

Everyone has USB sticks that look the same no matter which way round they are except me. I can't even bitch about that.