Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate the comics
Excellent 5 14.71%
Above Average 13 38.24%
Average 10 29.41%
Below Average 2 5.88%
Poor 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 15 2013, 01:38 AM   #256
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
^ I'm glad that they came to that realization. I dropped after the first arc, based on "Where No Man Has Gone Before", which I felt was a a big "meh". I didn't care to read more like that. Maybe I'll give the title another look post-Darkness. That the would seem to be a good point to jump on.
I've suggested to people that they give the Tribbles story a try. I forget the issues, might be #11 and #12, but it's in the third collected volume along with the redo of "The Return of the Archons." "The Truth About Tribbles" was fun, in an entirely different way than "The Trouble With Tribbles." (Though David Gerrold received a credit for "Trouble" in "Truth," there's nothing in common between the two stories except for the Tribbles.)

The fourth volume has "The Redshirt's Tale" (a look at life aboard the Enterprise from the redshirts' perspective) and the Mirror Universe story.

As for jumping into the monthly comic, yeah, "After Darkness" looks like a good jumping-on point.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:37 AM   #257
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

QUOTE=Caretaker;7941007]It was fun seeing alternate reality Kor again. I can't remember if he wore the helmet in the Nero comics.[/quote]

No he didn't have a helmet on in it.

Christopher wrote: View Post
^There probably won't be any mention. The whole "This affair is classified" bit at the end is probably their way of explaining why the events of this story won't be referenced in the movie.
I still think we're going to get an abridged explanation about what happened on Phaedus IV just becuase Starfleet letting the Klingons get away with it and basically covering it kind of matches up with the Unforgivable crimes Harrison is POed about and would also explain why he goes to Qo'nos of all places.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The fourth volume has "The Redshirt's Tale" (a look at life aboard the Enterprise from the redshirts' perspective)
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:45 AM   #258
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Is Abramsverse-Kor supposed to be the Klingon played by Victor Garber in the ST XI deleted scene? The one where he interrogates Nero?
Old April 15 2013, 02:48 AM   #259
Christopher
Writer

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I still think we're going to get an abridged explanation about what happened on Phaedus IV just becuase Starfleet letting the Klingons get away with it and basically covering it kind of matches up with the Unforgivable crimes Harrison is POed about and would also explain why he goes to Qo'nos of all places.
It seems unlikely to me that the film would be motivated by events that Kirk & crew took part in themselves, rather than some unfamiliar events they'd need explained to them so that the audience could be cued in too. I suspect the events on Phaedus were meant more as one instance of a larger pattern of Starfleet behavior, and it'll be a different instance that will provoke the events of the film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 05:16 PM   #260
Paris
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Is Abramsverse-Kor supposed to be the Klingon played by Victor Garber in the ST XI deleted scene? The one where he interrogates Nero?
Those scenes were in 2233, so if it was Kor, that would make him a hell of a lot older in the jjverse than in the prime U. Anything's possible though...
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 05:23 PM   #261
Christopher
Writer

^No, the Rura Penthe interrogation scene is set just before Nero's escape in 2258. However, he shoots his interrogator, perhaps fatally, during his escape.

Old April 15 2013, 06:26 PM   #262
Paris
Fleet Captain

^My bad. I could have sworn they were in 2233. It would be cool if Garber was Kor. He did a great job in that deleted scene
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 12:30 AM   #263
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Paris wrote: View Post
^My bad. I could have sworn they were in 2233. It would be cool if Garber was Kor. He did a great job in that deleted scene
Well in the Nero comic Kor did show up in 2333 as the leader of the Klingons that captured the Narada.
Old April 16 2013, 01:00 AM   #264
Pauln6
Commodore

I hope they re-use some of the 'established' villains more than once.

I prefer longer stories but the Redshirts Tale was by far the strongest single shot story. A really good read.

I was disappointed in the conclusion to Countdown to Darkness. It was an interesting build up and then a tease but they may resolve it properly after the movie which would be fun.

Is a movie adaptation planned? There will be a conspicuous gap in the narrative if not.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 01:28 AM   #265
The Wormhole
Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Is a movie adaptation planned? There will be a conspicuous gap in the narrative if not.
Nothing announced yet. I say yet since the Trek XI adaptation wasn't released until 2010.
Old April 16 2013, 03:16 AM   #266
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Paris wrote: View Post
Those scenes were in 2233, so if it was Kor, that would make him a hell of a lot older in the jjverse than in the prime U.
Actually when we first meet Kor, we have absolutely no idea how old he is. I'm not aware of any mention of his age anywhere in an episode.
Old April 16 2013, 04:46 AM   #267
Christopher
Writer

Actually when we first meet Kor, we have absolutely no idea how old he is. I'm not aware of any mention of his age anywhere in an episode.
In "Blood Oath," Odo says that Kor "must be a hundred years old" and Koloth is "probably a hundred and fifty years old," but those are rough at best, seeing as how the episode is 103 years after "Errand of Mercy."

Old April 16 2013, 11:12 PM   #268
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ But nobody confirms it, do they? So Odo could simply have got it wrong.
Old April 17 2013, 12:03 AM   #269
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Well the third trailer kills the "The mystery ship might be April's Enterprise Theory".
Old April 17 2013, 02:47 AM   #270
yenny
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Well the third trailer kills the "The mystery ship might be April's Enterprise Theory".
If the link works? This is what April ship may have look like.

http://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/3d08.jpg
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote