Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 10 2013, 06:58 PM   #61
Opus
Commodore

Re: Into Darkness ties to Star Trek XIII?

Last weekend I was in Berlin, Manchester, Lisbon, Bethlehem, Dublin, and even Springfield. I wasn't jet setting - I was in New Hampshire!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 10:29 PM   #62
WarpFactorZ
Captain

But all those places are called Berlin, New Hampshire; Manchester, New Hampshire; Dublin, New Hampshire, etc.... The analogy of different planets having the same name falls apart if you consider the ENTIRE name of the planet. Generally, the nomenclature is "Star Name"+"Planet Number" (Ceti Alpha V, Sol III, etc...). Presumably "Delta Vega" should really have been "Vega Delta" (fourth planet of Vega), which pretty much restricts how many planets can have that name. Unless you want to argue that "Delta Vega" was a famous figure in Federation history, and it really doesn't refer to any particular star system.

Of course, whoever wrote WNMHGB probably had no forethought about what they were writing, anyway ("James R Kirk"), so that's excusable. And I agree the name was simply co-opted for reference-sake in ST09. But really, they should just have picked a better name -- perhaps one of the moons of Vulcan, considering it was in visible range of the planet (but Vulcan had no moon -- until TMP showed it to have several -- so...). Calling it Delta Vega really makes as much sense as calling it Mars.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:17 PM   #63
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Opus wrote: View Post
Last weekend I was in Berlin, Manchester, Lisbon, Bethlehem, Dublin, and even Springfield. I wasn't jet setting - I was in New Hampshire!
What's the matter? Couldn't make it to Milan? Jeez.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 06:11 AM   #64
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
But all those places are called Berlin, New Hampshire; Manchester, New Hampshire; Dublin, New Hampshire, etc.... The analogy of different planets having the same name falls apart if you consider the ENTIRE name of the planet. Generally, the nomenclature is "Star Name"+"Planet Number" (Ceti Alpha V, Sol III, etc...). Presumably "Delta Vega" should really have been "Vega Delta" (fourth planet of Vega), which pretty much restricts how many planets can have that name. Unless you want to argue that "Delta Vega" was a famous figure in Federation history, and it really doesn't refer to any particular star system.

Of course, whoever wrote WNMHGB probably had no forethought about what they were writing, anyway ("James R Kirk"), so that's excusable. And I agree the name was simply co-opted for reference-sake in ST09. But really, they should just have picked a better name -- perhaps one of the moons of Vulcan, considering it was in visible range of the planet (but Vulcan had no moon -- until TMP showed it to have several -- so...). Calling it Delta Vega really makes as much sense as calling it Mars.
"James R. Kirk" is not an example of bad forethought in WNMHGB, since that was the first episode written with that character. Nor is Delta Vega an example of bad forethought. By the way, the author was Samuel A. Peeples.
Old April 11 2013, 07:00 AM   #65
WarpFactorZ
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
"James R. Kirk" is not an example of bad forethought in WNMHGB, since that was the first episode written with that character. Nor is Delta Vega an example of bad forethought. By the way, the author was Samuel A. Peeples.
The "James R Kirk" issue is really irrelevant, and that can be excused as a "growing pain". I also didn't say it was "bad forethought," I said the writer didn't know what he was doing insofar as TOS "history" is concerned (irrespective of *who* the author is).

The "Delta Vega" point is different than Kirk's name, however. It establishes a location for the action -- which is near "where no man has gone before." To later suggest DV is right next door to Vulcan is bad planning. I could have believed it was some largely uninhabited planet near Vulcan (name withheld), or a moon of Vulcan, but the chosen route was just bad writing.

Lastly, why isn't Scotty the least bit concerned that Vulcan was destroyed, if "Delta Vega" is within earshot of the planet?
Old April 11 2013, 11:35 AM   #66
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Of course, whoever wrote WNMHGB probably had no forethought about what they were writing, anyway ("James R Kirk"), so that's excusable.
The "James R Kirk" issue is really irrelevant, and that can be excused as a "growing pain". I also didn't say it was "bad forethought," I said the writer didn't know what he was doing insofar as TOS "history" is concerned (irrespective of *who* the author is).
Okay.
Old April 11 2013, 01:02 PM   #67
Jeyl
Commodore

Lastly, why isn't Scotty the least bit concerned that Vulcan was destroyed, if "Delta Vega" is within earshot of the planet?
Because Earth is the center of the universe and the only thing that matters.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 09:43 PM   #68
publiusr
Commodore

If you take a look at the front of the nacelles, they look like Transwarp nacelles.

I am going to go on a limb and say this is JJ's Excelsior.

Knowing JJ's version of Kirk being played recklessly by Pine, I can hear Pike saying:

You splashed down not one, but two new starships, Kirk?

Frankly, I think we see Khan in the next film, with a reveal at the end--something to hook the audience as was done with Empire strikes back or Nick Fury at the end of the Marvel movies leading up to Avengers.

That seems to be the direction things are heading in by the feel of things
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 09:55 PM   #69
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
If you take a look at the front of the nacelles, they look like Transwarp nacelles.
what exactly is a transwarp nacelle?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 10:19 PM   #70
publiusr
Commodore

From the excelsior in STIII TSFS
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 11:47 PM   #71
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No, there's nothing special about the nacelles on Excelsior except in fanon. Abrams's artists wouldn't bother to incorporate that kind of thing into a design.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 12:19 AM   #72
WarpFactorZ
Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
No, there's nothing special about the nacelles on Excelsior except in fanon.
Nonsense. The Excelsior was designed as an experimental transwarp vessel. So by inference, the nacelles -- unlike anything we'd seen before -- must have been for transwarp purposes.

What *is* fanon is the association of the failure of transwarp technology with Scotty's sabotage. There's no reason the technology shouldn't have succeeded, based on what was seen in STIII.
Old April 15 2013, 12:22 AM   #73
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The Excelsior was designed as an experimental transwarp vessel. So by inference...
"So by inference" = fanon. Nothing more.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 12:22 AM   #74
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

What *is* fanon is the association of the failure of transwarp technology with Scotty's sabotage. There's no reason the technology shouldn't have succeeded, based on what was seen in STIII.
Maybe Scotty went on sabotaging transwarp vehicles for quite some time.
Old April 15 2013, 12:25 AM   #75
WarpFactorZ
Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
The Excelsior was designed as an experimental transwarp vessel. So by inference...
"So by inference" = fanon. Nothing more.
Bullpucky. The ship was introduced as having "transwarp drive." Anyone with two bits to rub together would figure the engines were transwarp.