RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 580
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 14 2013, 08:27 PM   #16
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Bieber hopes Anne Frank would have been a fan

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
You're right. You must address the threat that is Justin Bieber. You must stop him before he signs any more historical guest books. Heaven help us if Thomas Jefferson becomes a belieber. Go! Don't wait for me here! You have a world to save from pop fandom! Let your voice ring from the mountaintops!
Thank you for trying to save me from myself with the magic of sarcasm.
Well, I am a magical being filled with mystery and wonder.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 08:44 PM   #17
lennier1
Commodore

junxon wrote: View Post
normal teenagers don't have their monkey confiscated by german officials
And as usual with our government employees, those idiots held up the wrong monkey and let the other one pass.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 08:46 PM   #18
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

You're right. You must address the threat that is Justin Bieber. You must stop him before he signs any more historical guest books. Heaven help us if Thomas Jefferson becomes a belieber. Go! Don't wait for me here! You have a world to save from pop fandom! Let your voice ring from the mountaintops!
Thank you for trying to save me from myself with the magic of sarcasm.
Well, I am a magical being filled with mystery and wonder.
Like a Pinata? Can i whack you with a stick?

As to Bieber.. well, he'll be gone in a few years and be replaced by the next "cute" boy. One thing though is that i'm damn proud about those "inflexible" and "by the book" german customs officers who confiscated the monkey because of missing paperwork.

I'm proud of all officials who do something like that to anybody who thinks the rules don't apply to them.. maybe 99% don't learn anything from it but the 1% is still 1%.
Old April 14 2013, 10:21 PM   #19
Shanndee
Commodore

I'm afraid this boy has a very rude reality check coming to him in a few years. It is only a matter of time before he is replaced by someone younger and "cuter". When that happens I think I will actually feel a little sorry for him. I'm not convinced he has any sort of real world coping skills, and I'm afraid I believe that even his high school "education" is a joke.

I mean, this kid did not know what a German was a few years ago! He had literally never heard the word before! Yes, I know the media made a big deal about him graduating...but what quality of education did the continuously recording, touring, performing money making machine really receive?

Yes, I think I will feel a little bad for him when this does all come crashing down around him. I hope for his sake someone has invested his money for him wisely...I don't know what he will be able to do if he lost it all to unscrupulous yes-men.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 10:39 PM   #20
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

If someone asked me should Anne Frank be alive and well, been born 15 years ago in a much better time and a Justin Bieber fan, and living like a teenager should have been able to, I would say yes. And I have no idea who Justin Bieber is, nor do I care.

The contrast between what a Jewish child would face in those horrid years in Europe, and what life would be for them today is so stark it feels offensive, but that's just what it is. If you could go back and transform that time into today, wouldn't you? You can easily read his statement as a badly worded well-intended wish rather than malicious or self-absorbed.
Old April 14 2013, 10:44 PM   #21
the G-man
Commodore

In all fairness, he's had death threats issued against him by people with a severely irrational hatred for the kid. Yeah, he has some issues he really needs to resolve...
And, in all fairness, I suggested he needed to grow up and be less self centered, not that he be killed.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 10:47 PM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't see where he's supposed to be self absorbed.
Just look elsewhere in this thread for the answer to that one:

He's an incredibly famous millionaire with 37 million followers on Twitter.
That's why.

As for Anne Frank: Is Justin Bieber so terminally stupid as to think that she would still be the same Anne Frank if she had lived today? She'd just be some random teenager with the same name.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 10:49 PM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I don't think there's anyway you could put the term 'belieber' in there and have it come out OK.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 10:51 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Somebody should explain to Justin Bieber how he might have ended up if he had lived in the same circumstances Anne Frank did.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old April 14 2013, 11:12 PM   #25
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

the G-man wrote: View Post
And, in all fairness, I suggested he needed to grow up and be less self centered, not that he be killed.
I never said you did, nor that you had implied such. The statement was made that some of his fans had threatened to kill other people for what they said. Well, Bieber's been threatened with death by adults, and there's just no excuse for that.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't see where he's supposed to be self absorbed.

That's why.
That's not a valid answer.

As for Anne Frank: Is Justin Bieber so terminally stupid as to think that she would still be the same Anne Frank if she had lived today? She'd just be some random teenager with the same name.
That's the idea. Anne Frank wouldn't have been killed in the Nazi occupation, she would have lived a normal, teenage girl's life.

Somebody should explain to Justin Bieber how he might have ended up if he had lived in the same circumstances Anne Frank did.
Dead.

You? Dead. Me? Dead. Anyone else here? Also dead. Fortunately, we didn't die, so now we get to harp on teenage pop idols and their millions of fans. Looks like we win.

Old April 14 2013, 11:20 PM   #26
the G-man
Commodore

I never said you did, nor that you had implied such...
And, therefore, the fact that he's received death threats is largely irrelevant to the issue at hand.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 11:22 PM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

That's why.
Why not?

It's rare indeed to have that level of fame and NOT be self-absorbed. Fame tends to corrupt, just like power does.

Anne Frank wouldn't have been killed in the Nazi occupation, she would have lived a normal, teenage girl's life.
And thus the question of whether she would have become a fan of Bieber's becomes irrelevant.

now we get to harp on teenage pop idols and their millions of fans. Looks like we win.
Yes, we do win, especially when those pop idols make stupid comments like this.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Old April 14 2013, 11:24 PM   #28
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

I never said you did, nor that you had implied such...
And, therefore, the fact that he's received death threats is largely irrelevant to the issue at hand.
No, it was in direct response to the statement that some of Bieber's fans issued death threats. So it was very germane to the thread.

That's why.
Why not?

It's rare indeed to have that level of fame and NOT be self-absorbed. Fame tends to corrupt, just like power does.
Because you paint a large swathe of people with a broad brush, on the basis that because someone has money and friends, they must be self absorbed.

You guys realize that you're bitching about the harmless actions of a 19 year old kid who sings pop songs for teen girls, right?

Old April 14 2013, 11:25 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

A celebrity says something and the internet overreacts. I'm shocked! Shocked!
Old April 14 2013, 11:33 PM   #30
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

BillJ wrote: View Post
A celebrity says something and the internet overreacts. I'm shocked! Shocked!
I think the internet always waits in the wings, ready to overreact at the slightest provocation; or when there's nothing, it just makes it's own drama.

Justin Bieber signed the guest book at the Anne Frank House, and his words were harmless and were meant to be complimentary. What happens? The internet just explodes with indignation at how horrible and self absorbed this maladjusted young man is. Did you know about kids today? Yeah, get off my lawn.