Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 14 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
the G-man
Commodore

Bieber hopes Anne Frank would have been a fan

Justin Bieber hopes Anne Frank 'would have been a belieber': If Anne Frank had not died a teenager in a Nazi concentration camp in 1945, Justin Bieber hopes she would have been his devoted fan.

Boy, there's no nice way to say this. Just grow the hell up.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 06:55 PM   #2
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Bieber hopes Anne Frank would have been a fan

What he wrote, according to the Anne Frank House FB page, was "Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."

It sounds to me like he would have preferred she grow up a normal teenaged girl instead of having to die so terribly at the hands of Nazi oppression. I see no malice at all in his statement.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Ryva Brall
Commander

And I thought Kanye West was an egomaniac. Leave it to self-entitled celebrities to make everything about them. Even the Holocaust.
Old April 14 2013, 07:20 PM   #4
the G-man
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I see no malice at all in his statement.
I see no malice either. I see an incredibly immature and self absorbed young man.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

So how is he any different from any other teenager?

I'm surprised he's not worse considering he's missed a normal upbring, is amazingly wealthy and is surrounded by enablers and yes-men.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Avon
Fleet Captain

normal teenagers don't have their monkey confiscated by german officials

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
So how is he any different from any other teenager?
He's an incredibly famous millionaire with 37 million followers on Twitter. That's quite different from any other teenager. He's also spectacularly dim-witted in a way that very few celebrities actually are.
Old April 14 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

the G-man wrote: View Post
I see no malice at all in his statement.
I see no malice either. I see an incredibly immature and self absorbed young man.
I don't see where he's supposed to be self absorbed. It's a fact that there are millions of average, everyday, teenage girls who adore Justin Bieber. So he wants to think that maybe she would have been a fan had the circumstances of her life been different. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for immature, he's 19 years old, and a celebrity. Quite frankly, considering the circumstances, his response is rather reserved.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old April 14 2013, 07:52 PM   #9
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I don't see where he's supposed to be self absorbed. It's a fact that there are millions of average, everyday, teenage girls who adore Justin Bieber. So he wants to think that maybe she would have been a fan had the circumstances of her life been different. There's nothing wrong with that.
Had the circumstances of Anne Frank's life been different, she would not have been Anne Frank. That's the whole point, as I'm sure you'd agree. The very point of the Anne Frank story is that she was a perfectly normal young girl living in a completely abnormal era, and trivializing it by saying that she would have potentially been a Justin Bieber fan had she not been a victim of the Holocaust is missing the point to such a spectacular degree that it's just one piece of evidence to show that Justin Bieber is a very idiotic young man, no matter what kind of life he has lived.
Old April 14 2013, 07:55 PM   #10
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Had the circumstances of Anne Frank's life been different, she would not have been Anne Frank. That's the whole point, as I'm sure you'd agree. The very point of the Anne Frank story is that she was a perfectly normal young girl living in a completely abnormal era, and trivializing it by saying that she would have potentially been a Justin Bieber fan had she not been a victim of the Holocaust is missing the point to such a spectacular degree that it's just one piece of evidence to show that Justin Bieber is a very idiotic young man, no matter what kind of life he has lived.
I guess I don't see what he said as anything approaching bad. Sure, it's a bit out of place, but otherwise harmless. To me it's a lot of sturm and drang, signifying nothing.
Old April 14 2013, 08:00 PM   #11
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I guess I don't see what he said as anything approaching bad. Sure, it's a bit out of place, but otherwise harmless. To me it's a lot of sturm and drang, signifying nothing.
Again, Justin Bieber has millions of fans, and in more than one occasion, said fans have issued death threats for trivial reasons, so whatever he is saying can't just be dismissed as mere pablum or innocuous noise. This young man has a lot of influence on many young people, and considering how immensely moronic and uneducated he is, I don't think it's unfair to keep a close eye on him and hold him to some kind of minimal standard of public decency.
Old April 14 2013, 08:03 PM   #12
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Again, Justin Bieber has millions of fans, and in more than one occasion, said fans have issued death threats for trivial reasons, so whatever he is saying can't just be dismissed as mere pablum or innocuous noise. This young man has a lot of influence on many young people, and considering how immensely moronic and uneducated he is, I don't think it's unfair to keep a close eye on him and hold him to some kind of minimal standard of public decency.
In all fairness, he's had death threats issued against him by people with a severely irrational hatred for the kid. Yeah, he has some issues he really needs to resolve, but on the whole, he's a decent person. He's a 19 year old pop singer who has lots of teenage fans. You want to monitor a current celebrity? Go monitor someone like, say, Chris Brown. He's done far more terrible things than want a historical figure to be a fan of his music.

Plus, if he doesn't adhere to your standards of public decency, what are you going to do? Spank him?
Old April 14 2013, 08:12 PM   #13
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

In all fairness, he's had death threats issued against him by people with a severely irrational hatred for the kid. Yeah, he has some issues he really needs to resolve, but on the whole, he's a decent person. He's a 19 year old pop singer who has lots of teenage fans. You want to monitor a current celebrity? Go monitor someone like, say, Chris Brown. He's done far more terrible things than want a historical figure to be a fan of his music.

Plus, if he doesn't adhere to your standards of public decency, what are you going to do? Spank him?
I'm going to say out loud what I think about him, which, even though I do have a small radio audience, is not going to make much of an impact of course, but were we to follow your "there are worse things in life"/"you can't do anything about it anyway" philosophy, we would be so crippled with apathy and cynicism that we would never express any opinion about anything. I'd rather speak my mind if it's all the same to you.
Old April 14 2013, 08:19 PM   #14
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

I'm going to say out loud what I think about him, which, even though I do have a small radio audience, is not going to make much of an impact of course, but were we to follow your "there are worse things in life"/"you can't do anything about it anyway" philosophy, we would be so crippled with apathy and cynicism that we would never express any opinion about anything. I'd rather speak my mind if it's all the same to you.
You're right. You must address the threat that is Justin Bieber. You must stop him before he signs any more historical guest books. Heaven help us if Thomas Jefferson becomes a belieber. Go! Don't wait for me here! You have a world to save from pop fandom! Let your voice ring from the mountaintops!
Old April 14 2013, 08:23 PM   #15
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

You're right. You must address the threat that is Justin Bieber. You must stop him before he signs any more historical guest books. Heaven help us if Thomas Jefferson becomes a belieber. Go! Don't wait for me here! You have a world to save from pop fandom! Let your voice ring from the mountaintops!
Thank you for trying to save me from myself with the magic of sarcasm.