Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 14 2013, 03:12 PM   #16
lennier1
Commodore

Re: "Ducktales Remastered" (from 1989) in HD this summer

It's great from a collector's standpoint, but unless they seriously improve the number/structure of the levels it'll suffer the same fate as the original, which could be completed in under an hour.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

lennier1 wrote: View Post
It's great from a collector's standpoint, but unless they seriously improve the number/structure of the levels it'll suffer the same fate as the original, which could be completed in under an hour.
Suffer the same fate as the original? Dude, the NES Duck Tales is widely considered one of the best games on the NES and sold well enough to receive a sequel. All NES games, with the exception of RPGs like Dragon Quest, were about an hour long. Short games are awesome.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 05:02 PM   #18
lennier1
Commodore

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Suffer the same fate as the original? Dude, the NES Duck Tales is widely considered one of the best games on the NES and sold well enough to receive a sequel. All NES games, with the exception of RPGs like Dragon Quest, were about an hour long. Short games are awesome.
Super Mario games and other in under an hour? You'd have to take every shortcut available and do a speed run to manage that. Just because Duktales was TOO FUCKING SHORT doesn't mean all platform games from that era were.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 05:17 PM   #19
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Super Mario games and other in under an hour? You'd have to take every shortcut available and do a speed run to manage that. Just because Duktales was TOO FUCKING SHORT doesn't mean all platform games from that era were.
Uh, yeah they were. The idea is that the games were difficult so you'd never beat them on your first try (and that's true of Duck Tales as well), but on your winning run you'd easily clear them within an hour. Super Mario Bros. 3 and a few others like Blaster Master or Street Fighter 2010 were a bit longer I'll give you that, but pretty much everything else was around an hour or so.

As for Super Mario Bros., it's pretty easy to clear that game within 10 minutes if you take shortcuts. Without shortcuts we're looking at 32 levels that are no more than a minute or two long. Yeah, an hour is reasonable.

Old April 14 2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, very true. I had remembered a racing game from that era that was overly difficult, which when completed made it really feel like the game was cheap, as I remember it only having 4 or 6 stages. I remember being quite disappointed and I avoided that company's games afterwards. I felt that it was an example of a game that they perhaps never expected anyone to actually complete due to its absurd difficulty, the difficulty a cover for lack of content. Even for the NES era, that was absurd.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 10:53 PM   #21
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

I was a Sega kid rather than NES, so I didn't play Duck Tales (apart from maybe for a short time at friends' houses; I can't really remember). But I did enjoy Quackshot on the Mega Drive/Genesis. That featured Donald rather than Scrooge and was a pretty cool Indiana Jones influenced platformer.

The conversation above about difficulty was true in that game too. It wasn't particularly difficult, but challenging enough that you did have to learn the sequence a bit. In Quackshot's case, they got the difficulty about right, because without the difficulty, it could be completed in probably under an hour/hour and a half. It took a while to learn it, but it never felt ridiculously hard. Good balance.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 06:18 AM   #22
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

There were days during the summer where I'd go over to some friends' house and do nothing but watch them play - and beat -NES games, so, yeah, there were a lot of games on the console that could be completed fairly quickly if you knew what you were doing.
Old May 5 2013, 03:16 AM   #23
Aldo
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I can beat the first Super Mario. Bros. in under ten minutes. It's not terribly difficult.
Old May 5 2013, 06:16 AM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Beat Blaster Master or Castlevania in ten minutes.
Old May 5 2013, 06:24 AM   #25
Aldo
Admiral

Castlevania's so frustrating to me I can only handle it in ten minute spurts

Thanks to the Wii's function of suspending games, I was able to make it to the penultimate level of the game. But it was just too frustrating for me to attempt to go on.
Old May 5 2013, 07:17 AM   #26
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I've beaten Castlevania once, but I've never been able to replicate that feat. The first four levels are fairly easy, but the 5th level with Death is just insane. Not only is he the hardest boss of the game, but you also have the Axe Knight/Medusa Head corridor right before him that'll kill you 4 times out of 5. And even if you manage to survive the corridor of death, you won't have any health left to deal with Death.

And of course, Konami somehow managed to make Castlevania III even harder.

Old May 11 2013, 10:04 PM   #27
Newspaper Taxi
Fleet Captain

The games were alot shorter back then, but people generally played through them multiple times. I remember my baby sitter had a copy of Duck Tales for the NES and one of the older kids would beat it once a day for like a month straight. He was a fun guy; he let a different kid play the final 'race' against Glumgold everytime so technically that kid 'beat' the game.

I wonder; do kids today re-play games very often? I know I don't but I foolishly became an adult at some point and got really into my hobby of paying the rent every month.
Old June 13 2013, 12:12 AM   #28
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Here's some live gameplay of the Transylvania level from E3 today:

Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 05:19 AM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
I wonder; do kids today re-play games very often? I know I don't but I foolishly became an adult at some point and got really into my hobby of paying the rent every month.
I think that line's probably where FPS multiplayer comes in. Not really my thing but my nephew always seems to be playing what looks to me like the same maps over and over.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

The game's been out for a couple of days now. Has anyone purchased it yet? I was planning on buying it day one, but the reviews have been mixed. Sure, you have the expected handful of reviewers complaining because it's a NES game, but other reviewers seem to consider it inferior to the NES original. Since I have the NES cart and 8,000 different ways to emulate the game, I don't really see the point in buying this.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kelthaz; August 16 2013 at 03:43 AM.