The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

100 million gamble by NBCU

2. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm playing the game and having fun with it. There are specific missions whcich are "Episode" missions-meaning they are related to the tv show. They are on a time table-finish by a certain time or they go away. How they relate to the show remains to be seen...

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, how the first set relates to the show is fairly obvious if you've watched the first 15 minutes of the show. :p

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Which I will do after the whole episode broadcasts. I hate spoilers.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched it on Hulu, and it did seems to be new footage.

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is fine - but the video of the first 15 minutes of the show aren't a spoiler, by definition, as there's no preceding plot!

7. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

once again it looks like another show with impressive FX and production but in the places where it counts-the characters and writing-it looks very mediocre.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not sure where you're getting that. I thought the opening minutes that have been broadcast so far were well-done in terms of the character writing, and the more I hear about the worldbuilding and saga of the show, the more clever and intriguing it gets.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pilot is online illegally. Someone copied and rereleased the hulu degra saw probably.

It's a Western dressed up as scifi.

A fist full of dollars meets blazing saddles without the comedy.

Nothing to write home about.

Conman turned sheriff.

Seen that before.

Two of Dexter's dead Girlfriends on the same set.

I wonder if they joke about that during lunch?

Jamie is using an American-like-lite accent to reference an earlier conversation.

It's science fiction so I have to watch it but I hate westerns.

So I'm conflicted.

Maybe it's late and I'm tired, and I watched 6 episodes of Sports Night right before I cued up Defiance, which set the bar high but it's the usual archetypes going through the usual motions.

Unimpressed.

10. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It rocks

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was good.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Meh. Like Revolution, the back story is more interesting than the main story.

13. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I really enjoyed the premiere. Looking forward to more.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reminded me of a cross between Terra Nova and Falling Skies. I'm not so sure where they will go with this one, it will be interesting to see what the next episodes are like. It's a little cornier than I expected.

Thank heavens they let me know the show would continue every commercial break. This spared me much of the anxiety I have watching shows on network TV.

I appreciate the attempts at diversity but why do so many sci-fi shows seem to get poor uninteresting black actors? Pete Ross, Mayweather, Ford, etc. Unfortunately I can guess the answer.

Massive disconnect between the look and effectiveness of that alien force.

Some dodgy FX aside it all looks pretty good and it is actual sci-fi so there's that. I hope I feel more for it as it goes on but I can't help feel this is filler for the moment.

15. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Thought it was really way cool (they had alien combat mecha!:D) and liked several of the characters right away. Lots of directions for this series to go in, so I'll definitely be tuning in to see what happens next.

16. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

The show looks good. The aliens look interesting. I will certainly watch the next week episode.

There are still more alien species yet to be featured like the energy based Gulanee and yet another votan race that supposedly did not make it to the ships that were launched from their star system. i am guessing that they might make an appearance later on in the series. The human created biomen had an interesting appearance with their massive neck muscles.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you just want to kill enough of the people so that the rest run away, you use nerve gas.

This plan was stupid.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The plan had to fit the video game.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nerve gas would've also killed the defenders, since just ducking under cover wouldn't have protected them. Besides, look at how they've had to build a makeshift community from scrounged resources, what was left over in the ruins of the old civilization. Why would they even have nerve gas?

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I think Guy is talking about the bad guys using the nerve gas instead of sending in the alien death army becuase they want the town empty so they can look for the magufin thingy.

Though that is a valid point.

Another one is how do you know nerve gas would work on any of the aliens races and if it did if it would work on all of them.