Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 14 2013, 12:41 AM   #16
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: What should be the next musical adapted for the movies?

auntiehill wrote: View Post

We did a production of Company when I was in college---wouldn't mind seeing an updated version made into a movie.
I don't see how it even needs much updating. For a show that's more than 40 years old, it still seems surprisingly modern.
Old April 14 2013, 12:45 AM   #17
lurok
Commodore

As evidence...Hendricks, Neil Patrick Harris. Joy.

Old April 14 2013, 01:33 AM   #18
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
Spamalot is a no-go. Just no.
Why is that?
Because

A) Holy Grail still exists, and

B) Spamalot is heavily concerned with the idea of putting on a Broadway show, which the general public outside of Broadway fandom doesn't much care about.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 05:55 AM   #19
scotpens
Vice Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
I don't see how it even needs much updating. For a show that's more than 40 years old, it still seems surprisingly modern.
As evidence...Hendricks, Neil Patrick Harris. Joy.
There's just one small change in the dialogue -- "flight attendant" instead of "stewardess."

Spamalot is a no-go. Just no.
Why is that?
Because

A) Holy Grail still exists, and

B) Spamalot is heavily concerned with the idea of putting on a Broadway show, which the general public outside of Broadway fandom doesn't much care about.
The original 1968 film The Producers also centered around putting on a Broadway show -- as have countless backstage musicals from the 1930s on.

As for the 2005 film of the musical version of The Producers, well, I've seen it and it simply isn't very good.

I haven't seen Spamalot on stage, but from descriptions of the show, it seems that it would be difficult to translate to film. Of course, they said the same thing about Chicago.
Old April 14 2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The original 1968 film The Producers also centered around putting on a Broadway show -- as have countless backstage musicals from the 1930s on.
Broadway meant a lot more to the general public in '68 (almost a half-century ago). Musical tunes used to play on radio stations nationwide, and film adaptations were much more common than they are today.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 12:34 AM   #21
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Broadway meant a lot more to the general public in '68 (almost a half-century ago). Musical tunes used to play on radio stations nationwide, and film adaptations were much more common than they are today.
To be fair, radio back then had actual DJ's who picked what music they played. Some stations were just radio stations meaning they played the popular music of the time and had time slots where older music was played and different genre's.

There were no predetermined robot play lists. A guy who got a studio recording could get his music played along side the big name acts of the time. Where it would, if successful spread from one station to another.

I was listening to JACK 97 FM here in town one day while rearranging my room and cleaning out my closet and drawers and filling boxes with old clothes to give to the St. Vincent de Paul Society and I noticed that the song rotation had begun again, same songs same order as before.

Radio today is a shadow of what it was in the 60's. Radio, except for specialized stations found on satellite radio or your cable music channels (Not MTV, but where music is played and a picture of the band and the name of the song appear.) play music of different genres. Those too are on a play list but it seems much longer than the ones on radio. For a week I could tune into JACK 97 at about 9:15PM and hear Pat Benatar's "Heart Breaker."

Sorry for hijacking my own thread. If someone wants to start a thread about Radio, be my guest.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 01:11 AM   #22
the G-man
Commodore

"Spiderman: Turn off the Dark."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 02:38 PM   #23
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Vanyel wrote: View Post
To be fair, radio back then had actual DJ's who picked what music they played. Some stations were just radio stations meaning they played the popular music of the time and had time slots where older music was played and different genre's.

There were no predetermined robot play lists. A guy who got a studio recording could get his music played along side the big name acts of the time. Where it would, if successful spread from one station to another.

I was listening to JACK 97 FM here in town one day while rearranging my room and cleaning out my closet and drawers and filling boxes with old clothes to give to the St. Vincent de Paul Society and I noticed that the song rotation had begun again, same songs same order as before.

Radio today is a shadow of what it was in the 60's. Radio, except for specialized stations found on satellite radio or your cable music channels (Not MTV, but where music is played and a picture of the band and the name of the song appear.) play music of different genres. Those too are on a play list but it seems much longer than the ones on radio. For a week I could tune into JACK 97 at about 9:15PM and hear Pat Benatar's "Heart Breaker."

Sorry for hijacking my own thread. If someone wants to start a thread about Radio, be my guest.
This is what's been said about radio in North America for years; you're not the first. That's why (with a possible future exception) I don't listen to commercial radio that much anymore (there are a few listener-supported and college stations that I listen to occasionally on-line, but that's it.)

Ever since that sex-mad neocon dumbass in progressive clothing passed his 1996 law allowing one media company to own all stations in a given city or town, radio became a joke in the USA, with the same effects happening here in Canada as well.

I have an article that goes into this at a large length:

No Competition: How Radio Consolidation Has Diminished Diversity and Sacrificed
Localism

This should be (I hope) enough for people to get really angry and start writing their state reps to tell them to get rid of this law and start regulating radio again.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; April 16 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 03:31 PM   #24
stj
Rear Admiral

Bill Clinton never pretended to be a progressive. His main policy/platform vehicle on his road to power was the Democratic Leadership Council, which was dedicated to fighting the supposed excess of progressivism in the party.
There are people who profess to believe (sometimes sincerely I suppose, it being a wonderful world where the most amazing things happen) that social tolerance is, in and of itself shorn of any progressive policies, "progressive." Niceness is not a policy. Politics is about policy, not about sermons for or against cultural values.
Old April 16 2013, 04:13 PM   #25
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I was thinking about a much older musical, Purlie. Think it might be a good idea to adapt that or might it be to outdated? It does have great musical number, New Fangled Preacher Man, Skinnin' A Cat and I Got Love.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 17 2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^Already adapted as the 1963 film Gone Are the Days!, and as a 1981 made-for-TV movie version of the musical.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; April 17 2013 at 10:04 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 08:16 PM   #27
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

^Already adapted as the 1963 film Gone Are the Days!, and as a 1981 made-for-TV movie version of the musical.
Wait, there was a made for T.V. version of Purlie? Who was in it, if you can recall.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 09:24 PM   #28
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^ Robert Guillaume. I remember seeing that on Showtime a lot, back in the day.
Old April 17 2013, 10:36 PM   #29
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I thought Gone Are The Days! was the movie version of the play Purlie Victorious. Purlie premiered in 1970 while Gone Are The Days! was in 1963.

I do remember the 1981 filming of the musical that Showtime did, but it could still be a full movie instead of a recorded play.

There was a 2006 revival of Purlie on Broadway, so maybe it can be made into a movie musical.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 17 2013, 11:22 PM   #30
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Vanyel wrote: View Post
I thought Gone Are The Days! was the movie version of the play Purlie Victorious. Purlie premiered in 1970 while Gone Are The Days! was in 1963.
That's correct. I've never seen Purlie (would sure like too) but I have seen "Gone Are the Days" and it is one funny ass movie.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote