RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,889
Posts: 5,222,686
Members: 24,233
Currently online: 606
Newest member: tarsus

TrekToday headlines

De Lancie Joins Mind Puppets
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Cumberbatch One Of Time Magazine’s Most Influential
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Trek Actor Smithsonian Magazine Cover First
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: E-book, Paper books, or a combination
E-Books 42 39.25%
Paper books 34 31.78%
Combination 31 28.97%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 13 2013, 02:14 AM   #61
Daddy Todd
Captain
 
Daddy Todd's Avatar
 
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

JWolf wrote: View Post
Take a look at Mobipocket eBooks and MS Reader eBooks... Those are eBooks a lot of people have probably lost access to.
**Raises Hand** and some that were Adobe's locked PDF format from the early '00's. The early SCE e-books I bought are now unreadable. That got me out of the e-book world for the better part of a decade.

When I came back, I made sure to figure out how to unlock the books I BOUGHT lest the format-provider decide to stop supporting my books again.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 04:56 AM   #62
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

I've saved all of my epub e-books from my Nook onto my laptop. As long as I have something that can use the epub format will I still be able to access them? Could they still take them away or block access to them if I have copies that aren't on my Nook?
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 05:20 AM   #63
Daddy Todd
Captain
 
Daddy Todd's Avatar
 
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

JD wrote: View Post
I've saved all of my epub e-books from my Nook onto my laptop. As long as I have something that can use the epub format will I still be able to access them? Could they still take them away or block access to them if I have copies that aren't on my Nook?
Yes, they could "take them away" if B&N should go out of business and stop supporting the proprietary DRM they layer on top of epub. In other words, your Nook epubs are only readable on a Nook (or B&N-provided applications) that can be unlocked with your B&N account.

If B&N goes away (which isn't unthinkable, at this point) the ability to read your books could go away.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 02:12 PM   #64
tomswift2002
Captain
 
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I've saved all of my epub e-books from my Nook onto my laptop. As long as I have something that can use the epub format will I still be able to access them? Could they still take them away or block access to them if I have copies that aren't on my Nook?
Yes, they could "take them away" if B&N should go out of business and stop supporting the proprietary DRM they layer on top of epub. In other words, your Nook epubs are only readable on a Nook (or B&N-provided applications) that can be unlocked with your B&N account.

If B&N goes away (which isn't unthinkable, at this point) the ability to read your books could go away.

One major advantage of physical over digital. Plus this can also occur if you travel to another country and the publisher in your country doesn't have the rights in the other country.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 07:43 PM   #65
Markonian
Captain
 
Markonian's Avatar
 
Location: Leipzig, Saxony
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

This one favours e-books for several reasons:

1) Storage: My shelf was about to burst, then I stopped buying physical books and my BF and I begun to get rid of my physical Star Trek collection.

2) Travelling: At the moment, I'm living in a foreign country. Imagine I'd have to buy all the dead trees individually and then send them home! Instead, everything is on three handy devices: Kindle, laptop, smartphone.

3) Cost: E-books are significantly cheaper than most printed editions, esp. for books no longer available.

4) Availability: New reading sustenance is just a few clicks away, unlike printed editions. Without Kindle, I wouldn't have gotten old books like Distant Shores. Also, standing in the street waiting for my friend to arrive, I can just flip out my smartphone and continue reading - sparing me to carry a book around.

5) Handiness: No book marks, no back slapping shut when I lie it down for a moment, no different sizes of books making storage a nightmare - just a file on multiple devices. Book marks - good riddance!

6) Vanity: By the Sword of Kahless, this is 21st century technology at its best! Next thing I want to see going the way of dinosaur after printed books are physical cables. "Would you kindly die?"
__________________
1.000 years: University Leipzig, 1409-2409
Gorn to be wild!
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 09:05 PM   #66
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
If B&N goes away (which isn't unthinkable, at this point) the ability to read your books could go away.
That's why I buy in Kindle format. I know they won't ever go away. Amazon's just too well entrenched for that.

And I believe they're the only ones who offer an app for desktop computers in which to read. I don't have a Kindle itself, but there are Kindle apps for iOS devices AND OS X, so that's why I chose that one.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 11:08 PM   #67
tomswift2002
Captain
 
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

[QUOTE=Mr. Laser Beam;7940200]
Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
And I believe they're the only ones who offer an app for desktop computers in which to read. I don't have a Kindle itself, but there are Kindle apps for iOS devices AND OS X, so that's why I chose that one.

The Kobo has an app for desktop computers as well, along with iPhone, iPad and I believe Android support.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 01:45 AM   #68
Daddy Todd
Captain
 
Daddy Todd's Avatar
 
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
And I believe they're the only ones who offer an app for desktop computers in which to read. I don't have a Kindle itself, but there are Kindle apps for iOS devices AND OS X, so that's why I chose that one.

The Kobo has an app for desktop computers as well, along with iPhone, iPad and I believe Android support.
B&N offer Nook for PC. I have it installed, but rarely use it.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 02:28 AM   #69
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

The best way to keep your digital books in order is to buy in ePub and strip the DRM.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 03:14 AM   #70
nickyboy
Fleet Captain
 
nickyboy's Avatar
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

I only buy ebooks.

I will buy some of the books in paper for 'my collection' so I will buy all of the The Fall books in ebook and paper.
__________________
"Now if this cross examination is over, I'd like to take a crap"

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 03:45 AM   #71
Avro Arrow
Captain
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

Markonian wrote: View Post
3) Cost: E-books are significantly cheaper than most printed editions, esp. for books no longer available.
Significantly? My experience has been that for a "recent" single novel eBook, you usually save about $1 off the paperback price. (I will grant that savings for TPs and HCs are often a little more substantial.)

And as for older out-of-print books... whenever I go looking for a specific book, I usually tend to find it is not available. I was hoping that I would be able to get more OOP books this way, but I guess perhaps the publishers feel the effort to digitize more obscure older books isn't worth it?
Avro Arrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 12:47 PM   #72
tomswift2002
Captain
 
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

Afro, I would have to say that there's even less of a difference between the price of a new book in ebook or paperback format. It's closer to about fifty cents.

And I just did a search for "Ghost-Walker", and while the paperback is out of print, the last list price I could find for the book was $5.95. The ebook is currently at $7.99.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 08:28 PM   #73
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

For the Nook most of the new paperbacks are the exact same price, and the Nook versions of new hardcovers tend to be about $3-$4 less.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 04:18 AM   #74
Avro Arrow
Captain
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Afro, I would have to say that there's even less of a difference between the price of a new book in ebook or paperback format. It's closer to about fifty cents.
JD wrote: View Post
For the Nook most of the new paperbacks are the exact same price, and the Nook versions of new hardcovers tend to be about $3-$4 less.
I was just going by my experience as a Canadian Kobo user. To use the recent Trek books as an example, the Chapters list price is CA$9.99, and the price in the Kobo store is CA$8.99.

But yes, to be fair, if you are a Chapters iRewards member and you buy the paperback at Chapters' website (5% discount), then you pay CA$9.49, and the difference is fifty cents. And if you buy the paperback in-store (10% discount), then you pay CA$8.99, and the price is the same as the eBook version.
Avro Arrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 10:00 AM   #75
Anika Hanson
Captain
 
Anika Hanson's Avatar
 
Location: Thallon
Re: E-Books or Paper Books

All ebooks. They are just more practical and convenient for me. I have a kindle paperwhite, a Nook, an iPad, an iPod touch and a galaxy tab. I only tend to read on my kindle though. I've been reading ebooks exclusively since 2010.
__________________
Assimilate this!
Anika Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
e-books, hardcover, paperbacks, reading habits

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.