Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 13 2013, 04:36 PM   #76
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Re: Is Batman crazy?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^There was a certain character logic to it, though. He'd grown up in a prison that tortured its prisoners with the illusion of hope (a clear path to escape if only they could make the climb/leap) in order to intensify their despair. And like most victims of abuse who become abusers, he imitated his abusers' patterns, playing the same kind of mind games -- giving both Bruce and Gotham a sliver of hope before destroying them both. True, if you think about it, it does fall afoul of the standard "Why don't you just shoot him?" problem, but at least there was a character-based reason for his folly, and that makes it somewhat more acceptable.
A forced character based reason.
Am I the only one who laughed his ass so hard when a deserted prison in the middle nowhere actaullly had better quality TV with clear imaging than I do. Seriously what was with that? It was so dumb, now I know these films aren't gritty and realistic--The Wire is for that. But I think they kinda dropped the ball on the whole" illusionary realism." The Pit was a dumb idea( I don't care about all the symbolic, or metaphoric reasons for it).
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 04:58 PM   #77
Agent Richard07
Admiral

And like most victims of abuse who become abusers, he imitated his abusers' patterns, playing the same kind of mind games -- giving both Bruce and Gotham a sliver of hope before destroying them both. True, if you think about it, it does fall afoul of the standard "Why don't you just shoot him?" problem, but at least there was a character-based reason for his folly, and that makes it somewhat more acceptable.
Torture makes more sense than just shooting your enemy. If you're suffering, you want to prolong their suffering and you can't do that if you just snuff them out.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 05:56 PM   #78
not
Lieutenant Commander

^There was a certain character logic to it, though. He'd grown up in a prison that tortured its prisoners with the illusion of hope (a clear path to escape if only they could make the climb/leap) in order to intensify their despair. And like most victims of abuse who become abusers, he imitated his abusers' patterns, playing the same kind of mind games -- giving both Bruce and Gotham a sliver of hope before destroying them both. True, if you think about it, it does fall afoul of the standard "Why don't you just shoot him?" problem, but at least there was a character-based reason for his folly, and that makes it somewhat more acceptable.
I think that myth was disproved with Professor David Skuse' study
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 05:59 PM   #79
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Given his resources, choosing to dress up in a funny rubber suit and dart off into the night to fight a one man war on crime is suspect, to say the least.
As I already said, that would be true in our world, and maybe in the movie universes where he's one of a kind, but it makes no sense as an argument applied to the universe he occupies in comics and animation, where costumed crimefighting is a commonplace occupation.

Then again, every occupation has to start somewhere. Lots of innovators and pioneers have been considered deranged by their less imaginative peers.
Batman is wholesomely unrealistic character that would no make no impact in a real life urban city. Though I wonder what would happen if a person who had comic book Batman abilities were to exist in the real world(our world) and fight crime in a city like say Detroit, or New Orleans. Would he be successful?
Old April 13 2013, 06:03 PM   #80
not
Lieutenant Commander

Dr.H wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Given his resources, choosing to dress up in a funny rubber suit and dart off into the night to fight a one man war on crime is suspect, to say the least.
As I already said, that would be true in our world, and maybe in the movie universes where he's one of a kind, but it makes no sense as an argument applied to the universe he occupies in comics and animation, where costumed crimefighting is a commonplace occupation.

Then again, every occupation has to start somewhere. Lots of innovators and pioneers have been considered deranged by their less imaginative peers.
Batman is wholesomely unrealistic character that would no make no impact in a real life urban city. Though I wonder what would happen if a person who had comic book Batman abilities were to exist in the real world(our world) and fight crime in a city like say Detroit, or New Orleans. Would he be successful?
Yes.
Old April 13 2013, 06:18 PM   #81
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Though I wonder what would happen if a person who had comic book Batman abilities were to exist in the real world(our world) and fight crime in a city like say Detroit, or New Orleans. Would he be successful?
No.

Real-life bad guys would shoot him in the face instead of forgetting that they're holding firearms and trying to use them as bludgeons.

Dr.H wrote:
Am I the only one who laughed his ass so hard when a deserted prison in the middle nowhere actaullly had better quality TV with clear imaging than I do.
Yes. No one else knows the condition of your TV, therefore there was nothing to laugh at.
Old April 13 2013, 06:41 PM   #82
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Set Harth wrote: View Post
No.

Real-life bad guys would shoot him in the face instead of forgetting that they're holding firearms and trying to use them as bludgeons.
But what about his genius IQ, ultra athletic body? Mastery of all the world's martial arts?

Yes. No one else knows the condition of your TV, therefore there was nothing to laugh at.
Well I give. Was I the only laughing his ass off about why there even is a TV in a isolated prison in the middle of nowhere?

Eh.....Never-mind.
Old April 13 2013, 06:45 PM   #83
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Though I wonder what would happen if a person who had comic book Batman abilities were to exist in the real world(our world) and fight crime in a city like say Detroit, or New Orleans. Would he be successful?
No.

Doesn't he only come out at night wearing dark clothes and stays in the shadows sneaking up on people?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 07:11 PM   #84
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Funny enough, a real world Batman would kill people just by knocking them down. Since knocking people unconscious will more than likely kill a person or severely damage them . In keeping with the topic, yes Batman is insane, but insane in the sense of being severely mentally deranged. No matter what, even in a universe as fantastical as the one Bruce Wayne occupies it certainly is a crazy idea. Batman is also crazy in the sense he endangers little kids by having them assist in his crime fighting, wearing their underwear in public with a domino mask. Even after the murder of the second kid sidekick, he still willingly allows kids to assist him.
Old April 13 2013, 07:12 PM   #85
Christopher
Writer

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Doesn't he only come out at night wearing dark clothes and stays in the shadows sneaking up on people?
Also it's not as easy to shoot someone as you may think, particularly if they're moving quickly. The '66 TV Batman and Robin may have liked to pose and declaim before attacking their enemies, but their enemies usually didn't have guns. A more modern Batman wouldn't stand still to give them a clear target.

I'm remembering how the Mythbusters tested the saying "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight." They found that it actually is surprisingly feasible to battle a gunman with only a knife. It's possible to throw a knife (or batarang) and hit an opponent before they can draw, aim, and fire, and at close quarters (within 16 ft) it's possible to close to knifing (or in Batman's case, punching) range before the opponent can bring the gun to bear and fire.

And of course there's the added element of fear that Batman embraces. It's harder for someone to draw, aim, and fire a gun if they're scared out of their wits by this big bat creature swooping down on them. If they do fire, their aim is likely to be off, and not only due to fear and haste; part of the reason Batman wears a cape is to obscure his profile so people don't know where they're shooting. Plus he has body armor. His exposed chin is going to be a very difficult target to hit under those circumstances.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 08:00 PM   #86
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

What about crime going on during the day? Is he basically useless against it?
Old April 13 2013, 08:17 PM   #87
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Also it's not as easy to shoot someone as you may think, particularly if they're moving quickly. The '66 TV Batman and Robin may have liked to pose and declaim before attacking their enemies, but their enemies usually didn't have guns. A more modern Batman wouldn't stand still to give them a clear target.

I'm remembering how the Mythbusters tested the saying "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight." They found that it actually is surprisingly feasible to battle a gunman with only a knife. It's possible to throw a knife (or batarang) and hit an opponent before they can draw, aim, and fire, and at close quarters (within 16 ft) it's possible to close to knifing (or in Batman's case, punching) range before the opponent can bring the gun to bear and fire.

And of course there's the added element of fear that Batman embraces. It's harder for someone to draw, aim, and fire a gun if they're scared out of their wits by this big bat creature swooping down on them. If they do fire, their aim is likely to be off, and not only due to fear and haste; part of the reason Batman wears a cape is to obscure his profile so people don't know where they're shooting. Plus he has body armor. His exposed chin is going to be a very difficult target to hit under those circumstances.

Who's going to be afraid of a guy dressed in a bat suit? Hell, what would happen if he did at Halloween. I mean in general the guy will look goofy and silly no matter what you do.
Old April 13 2013, 08:24 PM   #88
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Who's going to be afraid of a guy dressed in a bat suit? Hell, what would happen if he did at Halloween. I mean in general the guy will look goofy and silly no matter what you do.
This is why he should be naked... yeah you heard me right - naked except for the boots, glooves, belt, mask and cape.

Think about it - you are mugging some old lady in an alleyway when suddenly a guy in a gimp mask with a hard-on comes run at you - by the time you've made sense of what you have seen, he's knocked you out.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 08:46 PM   #89
not
Lieutenant Commander

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

This is why he should be naked... yeah you heard me right - naked except for the boots, glooves, belt, mask and cape.

Think about it - you are mugging some old lady in an alleyway when suddenly a guy in a gimp mask with a hard-on comes run at you - by the time you've made sense of what you have seen, he's knocked you out.

Hmm, I’ve heard comedy can dissipate the tension in any situation
Old April 13 2013, 09:24 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

Who's going to be afraid of a guy dressed in a bat suit?
Again: Night. Dark. Shadows. Hard to identify the big dark thing coming at you very fast out of the corner of your eye. Maybe all you see is something that looks like it has wings and devil horns. See Batman: Year One, the police briefing about the eyewitness reports from Batman's victims, including Detective Flass. Many of them insist they were attacked by a monster rather than a man. Or look at the B:TAS episode "P.O.V.," where things happen so fast that the rookie cop thinks Batman has superpowers when he's just using his gadgets. Human perceptions are very fallible, especially when dealing with the unusual. We often don't see things for what they actually are.

Plus, you know, criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote