RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,684
Members: 24,206
Currently online: 939
Newest member: Trekker_Tokyo

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 13 2013, 12:08 AM   #31
JoeD80
Captain

Re: The Roddenberry Reputation

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Harlan knew it was part of her job to work on other peoples' scripts as directed, why did he cross-the-line and make it an issue that could and would affect their friendship?
And again, it was unethical and unprofessional for Ellison to put Fontana in the spot he did.
What are you referring to? Was this some specific incident?
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 12:26 AM   #32
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
1. After Berman took over the ST franchise, it was not uncommon for people--whether writers or Berman himself--to say less than favorable things about TOS or GR.
Would you quote the unflattering thing that Berman has publicly said about Gene Roddenberry?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 12:30 AM   #33
Danger Ace
Commander

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
I was responding to something Trevanian(sp?) made issue of in the post preceeding mine wherein, taking at face value what he said in terms of DC Fontana having a prolonged falling out with Harlan Ellison over re-writes done to his "City on the Edge" teleplay. I was responding in principle.

"Ay plegli ianectu flaggen, tupep like for stahn... " - Cloud William
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 12:56 AM   #34
Harvey
Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
1. After Berman took over the ST franchise, it was not uncommon for people--whether writers or Berman himself--to say less than favorable things about TOS or GR.
Would you quote the unflattering thing that Berman has publicly said about Gene Roddenberry?
Indeed. Certainly the producers of TNG could say unflattering things about the original series, but that began with Roddenberry. As for the man himself, I don't think anyone who stuck with the sequel series bad mouthed Roddenberry. It was more like "Roddenberry's vision" this and "Roddenberry's vision" that.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 03:05 AM   #35
trevanian
Rear Admiral

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
I was responding to something Trevanian(sp?) made issue of in the post preceeding mine wherein, taking at face value what he said in terms of DC Fontana having a prolonged falling out with Harlan Ellison over re-writes done to his "City on the Edge" teleplay. I was responding in principle.
I guess I wasn't too clear. There was no falling-out between Ellison and Fontana to my knowledge, certainly not over CITY. That's because until the 90s, HE didn't know Fontana had rewritten the script.

to quote from TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING (recently released on blu-ray, don't fault me for plugging it, damn few people even know the movie exists and I think only one other person on the planet likes it as much as me), I assume at that point it was all "blood over the dam," that there was no ill-will at that point.

My issue is that friendship over time should not be predicated on a falsehood that revolves around one person screwing with the work of another and not owning up to it. Let me emphasize this, it is the not owning up to it, and even publicly in print denying her involvement, that I find troubling. Certainly it was her job to fix what the producers felt she needed fixing, there's no debate there.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 03:19 AM   #36
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Two lines of thought on this:

I'd say you need to qualify that. If you're saying something bad about TOS, you may be saying something negative about GR indirectly, but Berman always made a distinction between addressing what he perceived as failings or disappointments on TOS -- he seems to have a memory of too many gods in togas, from what I recall -- and the way he always talked up GR's much touted vision in a positive way.

Berman was always too much Paramount's guy (regardless of how he paints himself as a creative) to speak his mind in a way that could be perceived as hurtful to the franchise. Knocking TOS for being less than he could appreciate (largely on the basis of art direction and budget, fer chrissake!) was probably an okay way to distance his ModernTrek from TOS, and since they were abandoning the still somewhat viable TOS cast in favor of TNG movies, those kinds of statements wouldn't have found disfavor with Paramount either, as it seems to support what they would have considered 'the winner' or frontrunner in the Trekverse.
Old April 13 2013, 08:43 AM   #37
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Speaking of myth busting, according to Harvey's research, City appears as it may not to have been the most expensive episode of the series (pilots not included). That honor appears to go to (drumroll please) Assignment: Earth, which on the face of it had a production budget $38,000 higher than City's.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 03:48 PM   #38
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^ Part of that would be the cost of building what Roddenberry expect to be standing sets for a new scifi series. So their construct cost would have been somewhat higher, they were more than the usual "cardboard."

And there would have been the storage costs until Roddenberry learn for sure the series didn't sell.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 05:46 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

What new standing sets?

The only new set would've been Seven's office which was pretty standard except for his computer which mostly was the reuse of M-5.
Old April 14 2013, 02:02 AM   #40
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm not seeing the high cost on a:e at all -- unless the price of NASA stock footage was some obscene amount, which is unlikely given that I DREAM OF JEANNIE must have been tapping the same source on a regular basis.

Would love to see a breakdown on that to see where the money went.
Old April 14 2013, 02:24 AM   #41
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

I know Robert Lansing got an upfront credit at the beginning of Act One, which was unprecedented (iirc) on the program. Would he have commanded a higher-than-normal guest star salary?

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 02:31 AM   #42
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Probably, but that wouldn't have blown the budget.

Geez, they wrote DOOMSDAY MACHINE with Robert Ryan in mind (during a period when he did major roles in feature films THE PROFESSIONALS, HOUR OF THE GUN with Steve Ihnat and Windom, and THE WILD BUNCH), he would have cost them a lot more than anybody they actually had guesting on the show.
Old April 14 2013, 02:31 AM   #43
Harvey
Admiral

All possibilities; unfortunately, I only had time to write down the final cost of each episode (except for a few late season two outings, I was able to collect all this data at least) when I was looking at those materials, and no time to reproduce or analyze where the money went.

That will require another visit on another day.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 02:44 AM   #44
Danger Ace
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
What new standing sets?
The only new set would've been Seven's office which was pretty standard except for his computer which mostly was the reuse of M-5.
As well as mission control and the armature thingy.

Also, didn't Desilu (upon sale to Gulf+Western) change their billing practices wherein they went from getting somethings gratis to then having to pay for everything?

And that, I believe, was on top of overall budget reductions.

Old April 14 2013, 02:49 AM   #45
Danger Ace
Commander

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
I know Robert Lansing got an upfront credit at the beginning of Act One, which was unprecedented (iirc) on the program. Would he have commanded a higher-than-normal guest star salary?

Sir Rhosis
If anyone would have it would have been him. Robert Lansing was in lots of productions and considered very much a leading man in his own right. He stood out and elevated even the most mundane offereings.