Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 12 2013, 08:39 PM   #31
Beagleman
Captain

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Yet I would love to see what becomes of the charcters in the following decades. And they are so acurate with the style and fashion, I want to see what they would do with the 70s, 80s and eveb 90s!
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:41 PM   #32
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Beagleman wrote: View Post
Yet I would love to see what becomes of the charcters in the following decades. And they are so acurate with the style and fashion, I want to see what they would do with the 70s, 80s and eveb 90s!
They gotta do this!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 11:37 PM   #33
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Squiggy wrote: View Post
From what I heard the finale is supposed to have Don today. Out of touch. Perfect for 1960 but totally archaic and unable to relate to 21st century advertising. Hell, he'd be 87 or 88 today so it's not totally outside the realm of believability that he would be the chairman emeritus of Draper/Olsen Advertising and he'll die at his desk.
I'm still pretty sure the story will end the same way the opening credits have been showing us it will since day one.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 01:34 AM   #34
the G-man
Commodore

gblews wrote: View Post
They gotta do this!
That seems a little too "ending of 'Six Feet Under'" to me.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 02:19 AM   #35
Agent Richard07
Retired

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I'm still pretty sure the story will end the same way the opening credits have been showing us it will since day one.
I always thought that the opening credits were prophetic too. Maybe I can go back to that as a viable possibility if the present day ending bit was indeed a joke.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 03:39 AM   #36
the G-man
Commodore

Same here
Old April 13 2013, 09:10 AM   #37
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Well, given that "Don Draper" is a fabrication, a second skin Dick Whitman took on, it's not impossible the show could end with the "death" of this fictitious persona and Dick Whitman taking on yet another life/identity or even resuming his own.

I heard a lot of people talking about the "death" metaphors, but no one seems to comment on the fact that the situation in "A Star Is Born" mirrors the Don/Peggy one: a man whose career is in decline is eclipsed by the talents of the young woman he takes under his wing.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 12:36 PM   #38
the G-man
Commodore

Good catch, but I'd suggest the SiB metaphor was Don/Megan (her getting asked for autographs in Hawaii, his ad campaign fizzling) since wasn't the young woman in that movie Mason's wife?
Old April 14 2013, 07:15 AM   #39
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

the G-man wrote: View Post
They gotta do this!
I LOVED the ending of Six Feet Under.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 03:19 PM   #40
the G-man
Commodore

I did too, but it doesn't mean I want to see another show "borrow" it
Old April 14 2013, 05:19 PM   #41
billcosby
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
The recording of the episode at my "other means" site cut off the episode with about 30 seconds or so to go.
I've been DVRing these shows live but careful to not skip ahead or pause because my cable provider (Bell in Canada in case you're wondering) has the bad habit of clipping off the last few minutes of each and every Mad Men to date. You would think that this oversight would have been corrected by now. So for repeat viewings I have to keep my eye on when the red light does dim and hit 'record' a second time to catch the ending. In this case the ending scene was somewhat important; sometimes it's just vague and unhelpful.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ Last year, someone said that the show will end in the present day.
I remember hearing the same... my guess (and this is in response to the many posts about this) is that it'll end up with the final season in the wee hours of the 1970s but then flash forward to present day only for a few short scenes. There's no guarantee that Don will be there; maybe he ends up tossing himself out the window as the opening playfully depicts?

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I always thought that the opening credits were prophetic too. Maybe I can go back to that as a viable possibility if the present day ending bit was indeed a joke.
I love the idea of someone plummeting from a window as the very last scene but it seems the people who make this show love to intentionally do the unexpected as it makes things interesting. I don't know... someone should jump out of a window but I'm not sure who. Maybe joke-a-day Wiener will take the plunge.

Metaphors, metaphors, metaphors.

They gotta do this!
I thought of Six Feet Under as well... but maybe we'll see the fate of these characters as the last two seasons progress. I just hope there isn't much fast forwarding past the 60s because they are nailing the 60s in an incredible way. I feel like I've seen enough of the 70s and 80s and 90s elsewhere but this show is dreaming in the 1960s and there's nothing else quite like it.... a decade I never cared for much until this show aired.

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I'm re-watching the episode(s) right now. I noticed the look on Peggy's face after she told Abe to listen his music. She's going to dump him. I'll be surprised if she doesn't. I think her and Stan should stay friends but it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up together by the end of the season and I'd take that pairing over the one with Abe.

Whatever happened to Kurt and Smitty? Kurt (and presumably Smitty) were working for CGC in S4. I'd like to see them back.
I'm actually loving the friendship between Stan and Peggy. Didn't see it coming, either. When Peggy left it was so under the radar (Joan knew!) so excepting Don I didn't see Peggy having a relationship with anyone at SCDP was possible.

As for Abe... he's her little working tool. He is her lifeline to the young and hip, at least that is how I chose to interpret that final glance he gives her. Here is Abe helping out her lady on a tight deadline, bringing sandwiches and an insight into the youthful (drunk) market for the headphones.

I reckon Peggy will have her way with Ted (or vice versa) and dump Abe when practicality is observed.

By the way, I think Peggy's overall arc for the next two years will somehow involve a collision course between her and Don. Thematically it fits because she is Don's protégé, but ultimately I think it will be fascinating if they are both scrambling over signing a lucrative account - we know what lengths SCDP are willing to go to as evidenced by Jaguar/Joan.

But until all that we're going to see half a season of Peggy working her way to the top at Ted's firm. He certainly noticed her. "You're good in a crisis", etc.

I'm kind of glad there's no Kurt and Smitty. I found them kind of flat, but that's just me.

Don's cheating again was quite predictable, and as I posted right after last season ended, boring. Well, not unwatchably boring but certainly not as exciting as it was in the first couple of seasons. I was hoping they would have Don find a different way to express his need to escape or his dissatisfaction with the way things are working out with Megan's high profile career. It is also clear that he still loves Megan - or so it seemed to me.

Peggy is getting to be just like Don -- torturing her team until they (or she) come up with some good ideas.
Don's cheating means he's finally back to his old, comfortable ways. Was it Faye Miller in season 4 who told Don he 'only enjoys the beginning of things?' Well, that's more true than ever after his obsession with death after the Hawaiian vacation. When things are great he seems out of place. There's really no reason for him to cheat, Megan is essentially his perfect wife, so all the more intense that he would choose to cheat with her.

In the opening scenes I remember the word that came to mind was 'paradise'. Here is Don in a tropical paradise of his own with his sexy wife, great food, scored a couple of joints and 'blue drinks in the white sand' and all he can think about is the end! A couple of the characters even mentioned 'paradise' by name.

"What is happiness? Just another moment before you need more happiness." - Miserable Don Draper nailing the entire world of advertising on the head. After realizing that he was indirectly responsible for Lane's death last year and his brother's a few years' previous, Don is starting to carry around some serious baggage. No wonder he's obsessed with the end of it all.

"Of course! That's what's so great about it." - Stan, on if he noticed suicide being a theme of the Hotel Campaign.

Back to Peggy a bit more... I loved the comparison between Peggy and Don's account trouble. Both dealt with unimaginative clients that made the process burdensome; both cited the need to make a great ad and not one that 'anyone else' could do. Like the image of the hotel in the background of the ad for "the Jumping Off Point" or the cute "Lend Me Your Ears" idea that likely would have gone completely unnoticed (pre-internet, how would the masses become aware of a one-off joke from late night TV?) the episode was a case in point on how Peggy and Don deal with the same kind of situation. And Peggy did way better than Don.

Maurice wrote: View Post
Well, given that "Don Draper" is a fabrication, a second skin Dick Whitman took on, it's not impossible the show could end with the "death" of this fictitious persona and Dick Whitman taking on yet another life/identity or even resuming his own.

I heard a lot of people talking about the "death" metaphors, but no one seems to comment on the fact that the situation in "A Star Is Born" mirrors the Don/Peggy one: a man whose career is in decline is eclipsed by the talents of the young woman he takes under his wing.
I like that idea... the Dick Whitman thing. When Mad Men ends, will Don end up starting another life?
Is there a reference to "A Star is Born" in this episode? I missed it entirely, though I wasn't familiar with it until you brought it up. But the eclipsing part... I hope to see more of that this season! Especially after Peggy's "sound so good you can see it" commercial airs.

Any takers on this bet: Peggy gets an advertising award this year and Don doesn't!

I thought they portrayed Betty as more human than she has ever been. There is no way season 1 or 2 Betty would have gone down to the Bowery (or wherever that was) with the rats and filth and the (gasp!) unemployed, to help someone. BTW, is she still wearing a fat suit?

Betty's little pedo/rape fantasy was pretty raw, for her. But again, I think it was another step toward making her more human. She always had a raunchy side, but she was always trying to hide it -- she's letting her freak flag fly, here.
It seems Betty's activities this episode were the most mysterious... when she made the uncomfortable rape joke my interpretation was that she was doing whatever she could to keep herself entertained! I think she is a very bored woman. In the end, she was able to both satisfy her own lack of anything to do by coloring her hair and turning on Henry (he loved the new hairstyle!) despite her teasing of him leering at the violin girl.

Was anyone else confused as hell as to her origins? I watched the episode twice and had to go to the internet to find out why she was there. Anyway, I hope they have some sort of plan in place for Betty this year because she's been nothing but a background distraction for the past two. I'd love to see her try and ruin Don's life to get back into it but it seems clear that Don is going to do that himself.

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
And Again: Too many things annoyed me about this episode. The stairway to the second floor calls way too much attention to itself. Don's throwing up at Roger's mother's wake. Roger's scenes with the psychiatrist were overdone. And the random wedding was way too random even though it's obvious it's something that's going to play into later.

The guy in accounts was annoying, but he's supposed to be annoying, and Ken put him in his place, so that's good but, like Sally's attitude, the account guy's persistence will get really old really fast.
It's sad to say this but, from my perspective, I don't think the sixth season is going to be on par with the first five.
I think the majority of your annoyances stem from 'setups' that the season will pay off for (although I'm certain that a minor cosmetic change like the stairs will factor into any stories!). Abe is certainly getting dumped and Roger's insanities at the moment provide the show with some much needed comic relief, although you need to be a Roger fan for that to work. This was in many ways a very heavy episode and I thought it was interesting that it was set between Xmas and NYE - again highlighting the intensity of the theme of eventual death. We didn't see a convivial holiday party but people working - and hard to meet new deadlines.

Not sure where they are going with the guy in accounts though. Anything could happen. So far the only thing it did (besides confuse) was highlight Ken's ability to be a hard ass, although he was correct when he stripped the guy down in front of the receptionist.

Personally I loved the premiere but I couldn't help but notice there was no "Zou Bisou Bisou" moment like last year's - which was amazing!

I doubt they will get back together but some alcohol-fueled hanky-panky might be interesting.... leading me to recall:

billcosby wrote: View Post
Duuude..The one in the middle is his kid, not his wife or girlfriend.
Intriguing that your mind would go there first!
I meant managing multiple women in his life...
Well, you DID bring up a show that was about bigamy, but now that you've clarified what you meant your point is well taken.
In the final scene when Don crawls back into bed with Megan (from the bed of the doctor's wife) once again I thought of Big Love and how that family used religious interpretation to rationalize from society's view that having multiple wives is perfectly fine... it's unacceptable for Don to have multiple wives but he could if he wanted to. He's got the cash flow to make it work and seems to have the energy to spend on the women in his life. That's what I always thought would be the worst part of having multiple partners is all the running around involved. Is there any chance that Megan would allow Don to sleep around? Probably not - but I guess she'll end up finding out and may cook up her own revenge by banging one of his enemies - Ted from Peggy's new firm?

I doubt highly that bigamy will become a theme in Mad Men but I can't help but find the minor comparisons. Sleeping around =/= bigamy but my only point here is that Don has the means if he were so inclined.

Sorry for the super-long post. Fingers crossed for some substantial Joan / Pete plots tonight!

Last edited by billcosby; April 14 2013 at 06:18 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 06:56 PM   #42
the G-man
Commodore

I've been DVRing these shows live but careful to not skip ahead or pause because my cable provider (Bell in Canada in case you're wondering) has the bad habit of clipping off the last few minutes of each and every Mad Men to date.
Your DVR may have the option of setting it so that it records an extra minute or two of a particular show. Here in NYS Time Warner cable had a bad habit of clipping off the last couple minutes of South Park. Then I noticed when I set up the season pass I had the option to adjust the start and/or stop times. So I adjusted the stop time and the clipping ended.
Old April 15 2013, 06:38 PM   #43
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Don, Don, Don. The man is begging--pleading--to get caught. I suspect Megan isn't going to go silently into the night turning on herself and becoming bitter. I suspect she's capable of some serious revenge. I had to shake my head at Sylvia getting jealous; of course he's still sleeping with his wife, genius. They usually are, and Don doesn't abstain under any circumstances. Sex is his salve for the pain and boredom of life.

Loved Trudy laying the smack down on Pete, but why is she staying married to the man? Am I judging her through a 2013 lens? She could take him to the cleaners in divorce court and get the house, especially in that time period. Alimony by half. She doesn't want to "fail" and keep up appearances? Why?

Wow, when Don wants to tank a presentation, he doesn't mess around.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 07:16 PM   #44
billcosby
Commodore

As shallow as Pete is, Trudy is a good match for him. They are both obsessed with appearances.

As for Don, I'm starting to think that despite his fondness for Megan, he already sees it 'over' with her career success starting to build. I think he's at a "why bother" point with it. That's part of it... but another huge part of it is that he gave the doctor's wife money (and I guess that's why we had the whorehouse flashback?) but the flashback left me wondering about Don's origins... didn't his mother die in childbirth? I'm sure she did. So the woman that came with him was his half-brother's mother? Hmmm. But anyway, we know why he gave her (the doctor's wife) $$$, that what he does with women. He pays them so he doesn't have to handle their heavy baggage.

Oh Don... obsessed with your own death you befriend a doctor, and obsessed with things ending/beginning you are pounding his wife. Talk about making your bed and lying in it.

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
...Don doesn't abstain under any circumstances. Sex is his salve for the pain and boredom of life.
Well said!

Was Megan really upset about the miscarriage? I think relief would be the more obvious feeling. Now that her career in TV has just begun I can't imagine anything worse than a year of down time - however Megan's soap gig is just a mystery at this point. "To Have And To Hold", next week's show is the same title as Megan's soap so can we assume we'll get to see a bit of that world?

Loved seeing the eventual build up for Don vs. Peggy over the ketchup account. Heads are going to roll and I'd say, sadly, the first on the chopping block is Stan. Ted is really a shark and his hatred for Don will overshadow any relationship built with Peggy in the meantime.

Overall this was an incredibly serious episode; it reminded me of old season 1/2 Man Men where very little comic relief was employed. After several seasons of build up it was nice to see Pete get what was coming but I half expect the situation to be resolved next week.

We've never really seen Pete "single" as the series began with his stag party. What's in store for him? Is the airheaded neighbour going to take care of him (a woman's touch)? Good god, that house party with the people from the neighbourhood was mighty sketchy. Between the sexual tension with Pete and the play tickets and the weirdness of the two rapist looking husbands leering at Trudy over the Easter Bunny outfit, I'd be putting that house for sale were I Pete or Trudy!

Speaking of weirdos, that creep from Jaguar encountering Joan was surreal! I love the way the she always forms sentences that he can't understand. Pure gold.

Plus with the whorehouse flashbacks, Pete and Trudy's neighbours, the glazed-over maid, that lame ass from Heinz, this week's Mad Men was a full on 1960s freak show... and then we get adverts highlighting AMC's new freak show series!

BTW, thanks for the DVR tip, theGman. Unfortunately my timer has never worked, so I had to manually record the last 3 minutes again. If they could only play all the Hundai commercials after the show was over...

Last edited by billcosby; April 15 2013 at 07:32 PM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2013, 07:25 PM   #45
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Don's overacting during the meeting was great. We need more of that.