RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 419
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 12 2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Picard make the right decision with the Son'a/Baku

That magic radiation from the Ba'ku planetary system? There's no definite proof it would even work in the first place. Didn't help the Son'a much, did it? And I find it very likely that it would not work at all outside of that system. It works IN the system because it's the natural order of things. Trying to replicate it artificially would probably not work.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:01 PM   #17
Marsden
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
That magic radiation from the Ba'ku planetary system? There's no definite proof it would even work in the first place. Didn't help the Son'a much, did it? And I find it very likely that it would not work at all outside of that system. It works IN the system because it's the natural order of things. Trying to replicate it artificially would probably not work.
I agree with your assesment. It's very much like the lifespan of the Kohms, it's natural to that planet.
Old April 12 2013, 09:12 PM   #18
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'm not sure what is meant by it not having helped the Son'a. They were Baku until they were exiled, and IIRC Dougherty mentioned that in their current state the Son'a would need long-term treatment to be restored.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 09:30 PM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what is meant by it not having helped the Son'a. They were Baku until they were exiled, and IIRC Dougherty mentioned that in their current state the Son'a would need long-term treatment to be restored.
Doughterty's next sentence was "Some of them won't last that long." And they were talking about the normal exposure to the technobabble on the planet, not their super concentrated collected dose or whatever.
Old April 12 2013, 10:24 PM   #20
sonak
Vice Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post
I agree with your assesment. It's very much like the lifespan of the Kohms, it's natural to that planet.

assuming that a fake sci-fi process won't work when the movie clearly intends to indicate that it WOULD work is a rather silly way to avoid the issue IMHO.
Old April 12 2013, 10:45 PM   #21
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Baku were made aware of what was going on during the developments in the film. I didn't see any of them saying, "Oh...well, if it will help millions of people, sure I'll move."
Yeah, why wouldn't they be willing to talk to someone who was kind of spying on them and was going to kidnap them in their sleep and was still planing to go through with it even after the plan was exposed?

R. Star wrote: View Post
This. And before the film even started the exiled the Son'a to basic death sentences simply because they chose a different way of life.
Honestly it sounds like they just told them that if they wanted to be all technological and stuff here are the keys to the ship go have fun. Not to mention this was after the Son'a tried to take the place over.

hell for all we know they were expecting them to either not care about the immortality aka the freaking trade off for the own interstellar empire, or to come back in a decade or two if they got bored with the whole thing.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 10:47 PM   #22
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

The Baku were made aware of what was going on during the developments in the film. I didn't see any of them saying, "Oh...well, if it will help millions of people, sure I'll move."
This. And before the film even started the exiled the Son'a to basic death sentences simply because they chose a different way of life. The Son'a were no bargain either don't get me wrong there, but the two were definitely cut from the same cloth.
That's because they were being kicked out of their homes.

I don't offer to help thieves steal my home, regardless of good intentions.

I guess you've never owned a home, as you don't seem to appreciate what that means.

If someone wanted to kick me out of my home, because it would help hondres, thousands or millions of people, it is still, in absolute FACT, THEFT.

Until you can prove otherwise, the Baku have the poral hight ground.

If the Federation and the Sona approached them and asked if they were willing to help, they might well have helped the Federation study and replicate the rings capabilities.

But I guess property theft and tresspassing are okay for a theoretical greater good.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 03:24 AM   #23
sonak
Vice Admiral

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
This. And before the film even started the exiled the Son'a to basic death sentences simply because they chose a different way of life. The Son'a were no bargain either don't get me wrong there, but the two were definitely cut from the same cloth.

I guess you've never owned a home, as you don't seem to appreciate what that means.

If someone wanted to kick me out of my home, because it would help hondres, thousands or millions of people, it is still, in absolute FACT, THEFT.

If the Federation and the Sona approached them and asked if they were willing to help, they might well have helped the Federation study and replicate the rings capabilities.

But I guess property theft and tresspassing are okay for a theoretical greater good.

er actually, if the government of the territory where you live wants to move you for some greater good, it's called "eminent domain," not theft.
Old April 13 2013, 04:49 AM   #24
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post

er actually, if the government of the territory where you live wants to move you for some greater good, it's called "eminent domain," not theft.
Except it wasn't a federation planet. If it was where was the Ba'ku's representation in the federation government. If anything the only group who might any have authority over the Ba'ku would be their original homeworld.
Old April 13 2013, 04:53 AM   #25
The Overlord
Captain

I don't think the Baku are asses at all. That planet is their home, and has been for a long time. They have as much right to live in their home as you do yours.

I'm sure they would be amenable to the rings being studied, and might be willing to provide insights into it, were it not for the Sona.

If I were being kicked out of my home of hundreds of years, I'd be "an ass" too.
So it is wrong for the Son'a to use force to remove the Ba'ku from their homes, but its okay for the Ba'ku to use force to remove the Son'a from the planet? The whole story is based on a bunch of plot holes, the Ba'ku were a bunch of tech hating pacifistic, how did the Son'a lose to them in the first place? Why didn't the Son'a just establish another colony on the planet after losing the Ba'ku? Frankly the Son'a being random evil alien invaders who were just selfish and wanted to be immortal would have made more sense then them being Ba'ku.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 09:51 AM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

You know the thing about planets they are quite big, the Son'a could have just moved to the otherside of the planet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 10:43 AM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Details like that would've required the writing staff to stop and think about the actions of their characters instead of hammering them into cliche roles.
Old April 13 2013, 04:17 PM   #28
The Overlord
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
You know the thing about planets they are quite big, the Son'a could have just moved to the otherside of the planet.
That is just another plot hole, why wouldn't Son'a do just that and establish another colony on the planet? The whole premise of the Son'a being Ba'ku doesn't make sense.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 10:53 PM   #29
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

The Son'a didn't want to live on the planet or be anywhere near the Briar Patch. They wanted to be immortal, but not tied to the planet for that benefit.
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 11:03 PM   #30
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Vasquez Rocks wrote: View Post
The Son'a didn't want to live on the planet or be anywhere near the Briar Patch. They wanted to be immortal, but not tied to the planet for that benefit.
Basically they wanted to have their cake and eat it too, instead of having to deal with the potential consequences of their choices.

The Overlord wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
That is just another plot hole, why wouldn't Son'a do just that and establish another colony on the planet? The whole premise of the Son'a being Ba'ku doesn't make sense.
Maybe thats why the Ba'ku were surprised about who the Son'a were they probably thought their kids moved to a different part of the planet, and were just being bitter jerks about not talking to them any more.