To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 1 2013, 01:08 AM   #316
Deck 1 - Bridge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The operational status of NCC 1701-A...?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Deck 1 - Bridge wrote: View Post
I'm going back in time here but wasn't there a comic series out in about 1984/5 where Kirk and the crew are aboard the Excelsior after TSFS - I'm sure of this!
DC Comics #9-36, first run set between The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home. Kirk commanded the Excelsior while Spock was Captain of the Science Vessel Surak. Spock was returned to his state at the end of Search and his entire crew was killed and ship dumped into a star during "The Doomsday Bug" (#34-36).
Yes!! You are the man!!

Thank you, I've still got a few somewhere in a box.
Deck 1 - Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 01:13 AM   #317
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

This is actually the last page of the three-parter:

This is a great resource and was totally worth the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Comp...rek+comics+dvd
Old April 1 2013, 01:25 AM   #318
Deck 1 - Bridge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post

This is actually the last page of the three-parter:

This is a great resource and was totally worth the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Comp...rek+comics+dvd
Yes, it's all coming back, the HMS Bounty, I remember!!

I'm going to put on some Duran Duran now!!

Thank you - that's very cool.
Old April 2 2013, 08:02 AM   #319
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Harve Bennett wanted to do this and that's why GR leaked the destruction of the Big E in TSFS.
Mmmm. GR definitely leaked Spock's death during the making of ST II. He had Susan Sackett announce it at a London convention. It made Meyer and Bennett add the Kobayashi Maru Scenario fake deaths to the beginning of ST II - and decades later Bennett thanked Sackett in a "Starlog" interview for forcing them to make ST II's script stronger.

But I don't recall it being GR who leaked the destruction of the Enterprise in ST III. I thought that was done by the division of Paramount who are responsible for making the publicity trailers: we see Enterprise being destroyed in the trailer. "The last journey of the starship Enterprise." Trailers are made by a separate group at Paramount and the producer and director didn't get a say in how the film was to be presented in trailers.

he'd do this by transplanting the crew onto the Excelsior.
IIRC, this was being pushed by the guys who had to use and film the TMP Enterprise model, which was tricky to move around, mount, light and film. The Excelsior model, although bigger in scale in the movie, was very light and only half the size of the Enterprise model in real life.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 10:32 AM   #320
Deck 1 - Bridge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Harve Bennett wanted to do this and that's why GR leaked the destruction of the Big E in TSFS.
Mmmm. GR definitely leaked Spock's death during the making of ST II. He had Susan Sackett announce it at a London convention. It made Meyer and Bennett add the Kobayashi Maru Scenario fake deaths to the beginning of ST II - and decades later Bennett thanked Sackett in a "Starlog" interview for forcing them to make ST II's script stronger.

But I don't recall it being GR who leaked the destruction of the Enterprise in ST III. I thought that was done by the division of Paramount who are responsible for making the publicity trailers: we see Enterprise being destroyed in the trailer. "The last journey of the starship Enterprise." Trailers are made by a separate group at Paramount and the producer and director didn't get a say in how the film was to be presented in trailers.

he'd do this by transplanting the crew onto the Excelsior.
IIRC, this was being pushed by the guys who had to use and film the TMP Enterprise model, which was tricky to move around, mount, light and film. The Excelsior model, although bigger in scale in the movie, was very light and only half the size of the Enterprise model in real life.
Who knows? My points come from Shatner's Movie Memories, the security on TSFS was very tight and the Big E's destruction got out before the trailer ever hit the screens prompting Nimoy to conclude it was GR.
Old April 2 2013, 06:42 PM   #321
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

timelord1010 wrote: View Post
It was mentioned in several places such as "Mr. Scott's guide to the Enterprise" that the 1701-A was originally the Yorktown (or Tiho?) and was renamed Enterprise to reward Kirk for saving the Federation once again.

This is from Memory Alpha:

According to Gene Roddenberry, the NCC-1701-A was not a newly-constructed ship, but instead was the renamed USS Yorktown, a nod to the name of the starship in his original pitch for Star Trek. This was based on the fact that it was difficult to believe that Starfleet would build a whole new ship in such a short time, and then decommission it a short while after, and the early retirement of the Enterprise-A could be justified if the ship had been in service for many years under another name.
Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, released shortly after Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, cites the origin of NCC-1701-A as the USS Ti-Ho (NCC-1798), an Enterprise-class starship which was a test bed for transwarp technology alongside the USS Excelsior. The Ti-Ho was rechristened Enterprise after Kirk and his crew were exonerated.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_...se_(NCC-1701-A)
I personally believe a combination of the two personally. The Enterprise-A was the Yorktown and it was used as a trials ship for technology destined for the Excelsior class ships.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 09:28 PM   #322
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Prototypes don't have to have a name, I always believed it had none, that way you can still have a refitted ship of the right age and configuration, also none with a previous name which can offend a previous crew or whatever and last but not least a reason to mothball her so quickly, prototypes usually have non standard (expensive) parts, also might explain all the quirks in Trek V
Old April 12 2013, 06:44 AM   #323
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
The Excelsior (various sources describe it at 6' long) was maybe a foot or two shorter than the refit model (described as 7-8'). It WAS lighter, though. The Enterprise was a lot heavier though, because it was built with an arc-welded aluminum frame, and its pearlescent paintjob wasn't intended for shooting on bluescreen, which is why ILM dulled it down so much.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:53 PM   #324
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
The Excelsior (various sources describe it at 6' long) was maybe a foot or two shorter than the refit model (described as 7-8'). It WAS lighter, though. The Enterprise was a lot heavier though, because it was built with an arc-welded aluminum frame, and its pearlescent paintjob wasn't intended for shooting on bluescreen, which is why ILM dulled it down so much.
The refit Enterprise miniature was truly a work of art and a thing of beauty. The fact that ILM either couldn't figure out how it was intended to be shot, or didn't want to adapt to shooting it as intended, says something to me about the reputed "best in the business" effects house.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:13 PM   #325
trevanian
Rear Admiral

CoveTom wrote: View Post
The refit Enterprise miniature was truly a work of art and a thing of beauty. The fact that ILM either couldn't figure out how it was intended to be shot, or didn't want to adapt to shooting it as intended, says something to me about the reputed "best in the business" effects house.
I've always felt the same way, even knowing that having to deal with that gloss would have wrecked ILM's ability to turn shots around in a timely manner. Part of ILM's appeal at the time was that they could guarantee prices, and I imagine they would not be able to do that if they had to shoot frontlight/backlight and fuss longer over every model pass.

Most people seem to like the way ILM shot the ship, but with relatively few exceptions, it always felt like the ship was filtered to me (probably because they were mostly shooting the model in yellow light and then timing it to go back toward white, and usually winding up with some blue tinge.)

The security issues on SFS were very real, and may have contributed to Mike Minor and Joe Jennings not being asked back despite their superb work. I find the live-action art direction on SFS, budgetary aspect aside, to be about on par for a BUCK ROGERS episode. EXCELSIOR's bridge could have been shot in somebody's two-car garage.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:22 PM   #326
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
I've always felt the same way, even knowing that having to deal with that gloss would have wrecked ILM's ability to turn shots around in a timely manner. Part of ILM's appeal at the time was that they could guarantee prices, and I imagine they would not be able to do that if they had to shoot frontlight/backlight and fuss longer over every model pass.

Most people seem to like the way ILM shot the ship, but with relatively few exceptions, it always felt like the ship was filtered to me (probably because they were mostly shooting the model in yellow light and then timing it to go back toward white, and usually winding up with some blue tinge.)

The security issues on SFS were very real, and may have contributed to Mike Minor and Joe Jennings not being asked back despite their superb work. I find the live-action art direction on SFS, budgetary aspect aside, to be about on par for a BUCK ROGERS episode. EXCELSIOR's bridge could have been shot in somebody's two-car garage.
Agree on all your thought here.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:30 PM   #327
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

In addition, it feels to me like the quality of ILM's model work with the refit Enterprise went down over time. Their best work was with TWOK. Then it went down somewhat with TSFS. Then, of course, TVH had virtually no Enterprise shots and TFF wasn't done by ILM. And then comes TUC, which ILM did, and the Enterprise looks absolutely horrid.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 08:45 PM   #328
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

In addition, it feels to me like the quality of ILM's model work with the refit Enterprise went down over time. Their best work was with TWOK. Then it went down somewhat with TSFS. Then, of course, TVH had virtually no Enterprise shots and TFF wasn't done by ILM. And then comes TUC, which ILM did, and the Enterprise looks absolutely horrid.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 08:55 AM   #329
Maurice
Vice Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
The security issues on SFS were very real, and may have contributed to Mike Minor and Joe Jennings not being asked back despite their superb work.
Not quite following your logic here. Can you clarify?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 02:13 AM   #330
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Kay Anderson's coverage of SFS in CFQ (and in a slightly different form in THE MAKING OF THE TREK FILMS) more than implies that Paramount cleared the decks after TWOK because of the rampant theft of property and all the leaks to outsiders. As far as I know, the situation did not improve substantially, since costumes seem to have gotten stolen all the time during that whole era of TOSflicks, plus on SFS you had inferior work with the new folks. SFS is when they started doing stuff like coding the scripts so they could be traced back to the party who got that particular one, so it sounds like they were really serious about cracking down.

Minor seemed a little bitter about not being asked back ... y'know, come up with the terraforming idea and to use the nebula as a tactic, then find yourself gone. Robert Fletcher carried on through the first 4, but outside of Doug Wise (who may have been a mandatory hire, though even he missed SFS, the only TOS film he didn't do), there wasn't a lot of continuity of personnel that I know of past TWOK.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote