Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 11 2013, 07:27 AM   #1
JonoKyle
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Enterprise-C Stories

I recently saw Yesterday's Enterprise for the first time and since I have been reading the Stargazer series from the same era, I was wondering if there were any other novels besides Well of Souls that tells the stories of the Enterprise-C and its crew where they are main characters instead of a 1-line/paragraph 'guest appearance'?
JonoKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Enterprise-C Stories

Aside from Well of Souls, the only other thing to focus solely on the Enterprise C is a short story in the Enterprise Logs anthology from several years back.
Old April 11 2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Markonian
Captain

"Hour of Fire" in Star Trek: Enterprise Logs, and Vulcan's Heart.

Not literary Trek but good storytelling anway: The Enterprise-C is part of a mission in Star Trek Online. Therein the player encounters she ship in the war timeline again, for the ship ended up there after the events of Yesterday's Enterprise instead of returning to the Romulan battle. Denise Crosby reprises her role as Tasha Yar (alternate) with voiceover.
Old April 12 2013, 12:47 AM   #4
JD
Admiral

Do they play a role in The Art of The Impossible? I haven't read it since it first came out, but I swear they're in there somewhere.
Old April 12 2013, 12:58 AM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Rachel Garrett is in that book, but none of the rest of the Ent-C crew are, IIRC.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

There was to have been a Garrett story from Robert Greenberger, for one of the IDW comic mini-series, but it was suddenly cancelled. That installment, not the whole mini-series.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 10:06 AM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

There is a chapter in Vulcan's Heart about the battle of Nerendra III, and a little bit of it's aftermath is glimpsed too (Tasha among survivors on Romulus, IIRC). But it's a bit of a semi-random fanwanky detour from the novel's main plot.
Old April 12 2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Markonian
Captain

Looks like the Enterprise-C is a bit underrepresented in Trek lore.
Old April 12 2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Markonian wrote: View Post
So is the E-B. Let's see, the B is in Generations, The Captain's Daughter, Engines of Destiny, "Shakedown," Serpents Among the Ruins, "Iron and Sacrifice," and IDW's Spock: Reflections and Captain's Log miniseries. The C is in "Yesterday's Enterprise," "Hour of Fire," Well of Souls, and Vulcan's Heart, and a log entry from an E-C officer is one of the interludes in A Singular Destiny (between chapters 13 & 14).

Okay, I guess the C has been featured less than the B.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
SicOne
Commodore

"Hour of Fire" in Star Trek: Enterprise Logs, and Vulcan's Heart.

Not literary Trek but good storytelling anway: The Enterprise-C is part of a mission in Star Trek Online. Therein the player encounters she ship in the war timeline again, for the ship ended up there after the events of Yesterday's Enterprise instead of returning to the Romulan battle. Denise Crosby reprises her role as Tasha Yar (alternate) with voiceover.
I'm not very familiar with the ST:Online timeline, but if the Ent-C ended up in in the Online's future-war instead of returning to the 2344 Narendra 3 battle, how did the Federation escape that ongoing war of attrition with the Klingons?

All things being equal, the C showing up in ST:Online's time would be completely outclassed, as it would be generations behind in technology, shields, and weaponry. Not sure what that would accomplish. Not a dig against the people involved with ST:Online, mind you, but an observation relating Ambassador-class capabilities to those of the Online ships.
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:30 PM   #11
USS Firefly
Commander

Perhaps a little bit off topic, but is Well of Souls a good book because i'm also interested in story's about the Ent-C
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:36 PM   #12
SicOne
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
So is the E-B. Let's see, the B is in Generations, The Captain's Daughter, Engines of Destiny, "Shakedown," Serpents Among the Ruins, "Iron and Sacrifice," and IDW's Spock: Reflections and Captain's Log miniseries. The C is in "Yesterday's Enterprise," "Hour of Fire," Well of Souls, and Vulcan's Heart, and a log entry from an E-C officer is one of the interludes in A Singular Destiny (between chapters 13 & 14).

Okay, I guess the C has been featured less than the B.
C's temporary captain, Richard Castillo, was also found ruminating in one of the Strange New Worlds (SNW 3, I believe) anthologies about the Narendra 3 battle.

Question:are the SNWs considered to be part of the greater continuity that the authors can take cues from (similar to how you guys and gals tend to work together to more consistently carry over elements from books written by different authors *), though the aforementioned SNW story appears to disregard established canon regarding that battle?

* I'm thinking about how you and David Mack cooperated in describing the workings of the transphasic torpedo in GTTS and Destiny to make it consistent for readers of both
Old April 12 2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

SicOne wrote: View Post
C's temporary captain, Richard Castillo, was also found ruminating in one of the Strange New Worlds (SNW 3, I believe) anthologies about the Narendra 3 battle.
I didn't count that because the ship itself didn't appear.

Question:are the SNWs considered to be part of the greater continuity that the authors can take cues from (similar to how you guys and gals tend to work together to more consistently carry over elements from books written by different authors *), though the aforementioned SNW story appears to disregard established canon regarding that battle?
As with most things in TrekLit, there's no overarching rule about the continuity. The various SNW stories were certainly not in continuity with each other; there were a couple of contradictory Borg origins, several contradictory sequels to "City on the Edge of Forever" and "A Piece of the Action," two different versions of Nog's Kobayashi Maru test (never mind that the KM is for command-track seniors so Nog should never have taken it at all), etc. And a number of the stories contradicted previous novels, though a few did draw on the novel continuity.

However, a few individual SNW stories have been memorable enough that novelists have chosen to reference them. One of Greg Cox's Gary Seven novels referenced Dayton Ward's Gary/Roberta story in SNW III. I drew on Bill Leisner's DTI story from SNW II in my DTI novels. The name for Sarek's mother established in an SNW story was referenced in one of the post-finale ENT novels. The Scotty-focus SCE novella "The Future Begins" references a couple of SNW stories about Scotty.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 04:17 PM   #14
SicOne
Commodore

^ Thanks for the details, Christopher; I appreciate them. Makes me realize what a gigantic sandbox Trek is to have so many authors playing in it.
Old April 12 2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Nathan
Lieutenant

I always wish for more Ent-C stories (or for that matter, ENT-B stories too). I think that is a great Era to cover (and yep the Lost Era stories (Serpents, Art of Impossible, & Well of Souls) I really liked.

Guess that there are a lot of characters who many only have a line or two in the films/show, but can really be fleshed out in the book.

I suppose its in the execution I suppose, since I'm really Titan fan (it still irks me that IDIC is thrusted down my throat instead of it being natural in the book), but I a big time Vanguard fan, yeah, both of the those series have different themes, I just like how Vanguard characters were fleshed out more (or written) than the Titan crew.

I'd like Ent-C stories written in the same vein as the way Vanguard was.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote