Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 12 2013, 02:35 AM   #106
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

By the way, am I misremembering the first ep with the Phage aliens? Janeway could have returned Neelix's lungs but doing so would have killed the thieving aliens, so she chose not to?

Now *that* is hamfisted. Returning stolen property results in the deaths of the thief? Tough.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:08 AM   #107
marksound
Fleet Captain

Bad writing aside, Tuvix' unwillingness to be separated was in effect holding two crew members hostage, who did not and would not choose to be blended in the first place. Reversing the accident was the only logical choice.

Arguing that it's the same as committing murder to harvest organs is just stupid.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:11 AM   #108
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Bad writing aside, Tuvix' unwillingness to be separated was in effect holding two crew members hostage, who did not and would not choose to be blended in the first place. Reversing the accident was the only logical choice.

Arguing that it's the same as committing murder to harvest organs is just stupid.
The only logical choice? Stupid? Simply because you say so? You certainly aren't providing any supporting evidence. Tuvix didn't take anyone hostage. He was created. Should an infant be charged with murder because he caused his mother to die in childbed? Same logic you seem to be applying.
Old April 12 2013, 03:19 AM   #109
marksound
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post

The only logical choice? Stupid? Simply because you say so? You certainly aren't providing any supporting evidence. Tuvix didn't take anyone hostage. He was created. Should an infant be charged with murder because he caused his mother to die in childbed? Same logic you seem to be applying.
Nope. Try again.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:44 AM   #110
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yes. Try again. Same logic you're using.
Old April 12 2013, 03:46 AM   #111
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

God I wish we could have a thread called Janeway's decision to frakk a hologram instead.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 03:58 AM   #112
teya
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
By the way, am I misremembering the first ep with the Phage aliens? Janeway could have returned Neelix's lungs but doing so would have killed the thieving aliens, so she chose not to?

Now *that* is hamfisted. Returning stolen property results in the deaths of the thief? Tough.
I'd forgotten that.

Yes. Janeway said then: "I don't have the freedom to kill you to save another. My culture finds that to be a reprehensible and entirely unacceptable act."
Old April 12 2013, 04:23 AM   #113
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

teya wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Tuvix was a cad (a full blown Terry-Thomas cad). The situation gets re-scrambled in the later "Drone", when a transporter accident blends Seven's nanoprobes and the EMH's mobile emitter, with different results.
Yep, One was altruistic and willingly sacrificed himself to save others.

Tuvix was selfish and didn't.

But, still, selfishness is not a capital offense.
I would also point out that they or at least Seven was trying to talk One out of letting himself die even though him dying would have kept the Borg from continuing to come after them which kind of makes the Voyager crew come off as hypocritical jerks for the Tuvix thing.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post

I'd forgotten that.

Yes. Janeway said then: "I don't have the freedom to kill you to save another. My culture finds that to be a reprehensible and entirely unacceptable act."
And then she turns around and does it to Tuvix, ah the Janeway inconsistence strikes again.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:07 AM   #114
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Janeway's views "evolved".
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:34 AM   #115
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
. . .You can't decide who lives and dies summarily on who you deem to be more important or not. Not if you're going to claim anything resembling ethics.
This is pretty much the decision the Doctor makes in the later "Latent Image", resulting in a nervous breakdown.
Old April 12 2013, 05:39 AM   #116
Ryva Brall
Commander

WOW. I'd forgotten about that, too. Now that is one glaring inconsistency in her character. She went from refusing to take a complete stranger's life, even if it meant saving Neelix from being essentially a paralytic, to being willing to take the life of someone who had become a friend to the crew. What happened?
Old April 12 2013, 06:02 AM   #117
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Kes cried.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:53 AM   #118
Gov Kodos
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Kes cried.
That's all Janeway needs to motivate her to off people, change timelines, and rattle stellar empires, her favorite lady's tears. Mark, Chuckles, or Q can take a ticket and get in line, but when 7 or Kes get the sniffles it's off with their heads.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 07:02 AM   #119
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Sad thing is, that's kind of how it came off.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 07:50 AM   #120
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It wasn't for the good of the ship. The ship would have been fine with either decision. Janeway was even siding with Tuvix, until a tearful Kes begged to have her Neelix back who she loved more than any other...
Exactly.

Both Janeway & Chakotay commented on how Tuvix was actually more than the sum of his parts.

It was Kes's plea that influenced Janeway. And that's simply bullshit for a Starfleet captain.
I think it was a bold decision. The sort of really hard decisions captains, y'know, have to make because the buck stops with them. It wasn't an easy decision and I don't think she would ever be happy with having to make it but Tuvok was one of her oldest friends, so the upside of a hard decision is that two beloved crew members were returned.