Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 26 2013, 10:22 AM   #91
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Ever like a show but...

Is it bad that all this talk of Ally McSqueal has got the Single Female Lawyer song running around on a loop in my head?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2013, 08:02 PM   #92
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

^Doing some soul searching, eh?
Old April 10 2013, 08:45 PM   #93
Ryva Brall
Commander

Great, now I've got the "Single Female Lawyer" song stuck in my head.

I love M*A*S*H (never mind that it ended two years before I was born) but Hawkeye is one of my least favorite characters. He used to be my favorite, but the more I've watched the show, I've come to realize that I like Klinger, Potter, Winchester, Radar, and Mulcahy a lot more. I guess eleven years' worth of episodes is just too much Hawkeye for me.

As far as Star Trek series go, I'd have to say Sisko is my least favorite character on DS9. It's not that I dislike him; I'm just kind of... indifferent toward him. He had some good moments, but I'd rather watch an episode that focused on, well, any other character.
Old April 11 2013, 05:08 AM   #94
lennier1
Rear Admiral

I liked Big Bang Theory but can't stand The Sheldon Show.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 05:35 PM   #95
propita
Rear Admiral

We liked Whitney, but hated the Whitney character. But we kept watching, because we liked the other characters. I'm glad we did, because this show has really had continuity and character growth--with actual stated (not over-stated) reasons for the growth!

Whitney's annoying habits and character were slowly explained, a bit, and slowly modified, a bit, with understanding reasons. Same thing with the other characters. And I like that. No suddenly s/he is acting different because it's needed for that week's plot. And I love the new bartender. A good addition and very well-acted.

It's a refreshing change in a tv show.

I mean, I liked Friends, but the characters, for all that happened to them (marriages, divorces, etc), didn't change all that much. Monica wondered for years why guys she slept with on the first date weren't interested in a serious relationship. Ross and Rachel took how many years (?) to finally start addressing their feelings in a semi-mature manner. While it IS funny, it can get a bit boring.

BTW, I wrote a paper in college "Examination of the Narrative Structure of a Coming of Age Television Show," focusing on Joan of Arcadia and comparing it to both Wonder Years and Seventh Heaven. Got an "A,"
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 05:46 PM   #96
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

actually the friends characters did change a bit: monica got derangedly obsessive compulsive, ross got patheticly useless, joey got even more stupid, pheobe got bitchier, though chandler stayed pretty much the same and rachel... uh, got straighter hair?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 05:50 PM   #97
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
We liked Whitney, but hated the Whitney character. But we kept watching, because we liked the other characters. I'm glad we did, because this show has really had continuity and character growth--with actual stated (not over-stated) reasons for the growth!

Whitney's annoying habits and character were slowly explained, a bit, and slowly modified, a bit, with understanding reasons. Same thing with the other characters. And I like that. No suddenly s/he is acting different because it's needed for that week's plot. And I love the new bartender. A good addition and very well-acted.

It's a refreshing change in a tv show.

I mean, I liked Friends, but the characters, for all that happened to them (marriages, divorces, etc), didn't change all that much. Monica wondered for years why guys she slept with on the first date weren't interested in a serious relationship. Ross and Rachel took how many years (?) to finally start addressing their feelings in a semi-mature manner. While it IS funny, it can get a bit boring.

BTW, I wrote a paper in college "Examination of the Narrative Structure of a Coming of Age Television Show," focusing on Joan of Arcadia and comparing it to both Wonder Years and Seventh Heaven. Got an "A,"

^Heh. When I was in college, I took an anthropology course and the professor was a bit looney. I had to wrote a paper on some part of the current culture, so I did a paper on the socio-anthropological importance of "The A-Team." I got an A and I even got it published in the college journal.

The sad part is that I completely BSed my way through it and just wrote what I knew the professor wanted to hear. I really didn't believe a word of it; I just knew it was the sort of thing that she would really be into. I even linked the "The A-Team" to policy decisions in the US bombing of Libya.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 04:38 AM   #98
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I could take everybody except "Whiny CryBuffy."
Buffy wasn't ANYWHERE nearly bad as Tom Welling playing Clark Kent on Smallville; at least, Buffy had a lot to deal with. Clark Kent couldn't have been as beset with being the Man of Steel as Buffy was being the Slayer at 16-21 to be as angsty as shown in Smallville, yet, there he was being Mr. Angst for ten seasons. That's why I never watched that POS show, and would rather see the Man Of Steel movie (or any of the animated DTV movies put out by Warner Premiere with Superman in it.)

junxon wrote: View Post
actually the friends characters did change a bit: monica got derangedly obsessive compulsive, ross got patheticly useless, joey got even more stupid, pheobe got bitchier, though chandler stayed pretty much the same and rachel... uh, got straighter hair?
The better show about young professionals was not Friends but Living Single. Too bad it never really caught the public's attention like Friends did.

As for characters I hate that are the main star of the show, I'd have to go with the one and only Wily Gilligan from Gilligan's Island, and Dobie Gillis from The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; April 12 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:25 AM   #99
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Ooh, now I'm curious. I never cared at all for 7th Heaven - too treacly at best, too preachy at worst - but really liked Joan of Arcadia (well, the first season is all I've seen). I've actually been rewatching it, too.
Old April 12 2013, 05:49 AM   #100
propita
Rear Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Ooh, now I'm curious. I never cared at all for 7th Heaven - too treacly at best, too preachy at worst - but really liked Joan of Arcadia (well, the first season is all I've seen). I've actually been rewatching it, too.
I focused on JoA, using a single episode as an example of my thesis (how the episode's lesson is taught to the characters and viewers), then did the comparison. Seventh Heaven did not fare well, more as the show went on then in its early years. Wonder Years compared better. I said both of these basically straight out stated the lesson while JoA did more showing it than stating it. It wasn't a bad paper.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 05:50 AM   #101
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
I love M*A*S*H (never mind that it ended two years before I was born) but Hawkeye is one of my least favorite characters. He used to be my favorite, but the more I've watched the show, I've come to realize that I like Klinger, Potter, Winchester, Radar, and Mulcahy a lot more. I guess eleven years' worth of episodes is just too much Hawkeye for me.
Good example.
Old April 12 2013, 12:38 PM   #102
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I focused on JoA, using a single episode as an example of my thesis (how the episode's lesson is taught to the characters and viewers), then did the comparison. Seventh Heaven did not fare well, more as the show went on then in its early years. Wonder Years compared better. I said both of these basically straight out stated the lesson while JoA did more showing it than stating it. It wasn't a bad paper.
Makes sense, yeah. One of the things I like about JoA, tended to be more show than tell - plus some ambiguity and snark.
Old April 12 2013, 03:58 PM   #103
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I had the same thing with New Galactica and "Whiny CryKara". I REFUSE to call her Starbuck. That's Dirk Benedict, thank you.

Of course, I hated most of the characters on New Galactica, but that damn Kara was the absolute worst.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:09 PM   #104
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I have never really had this issue with any main characters because if I don't like the main character I don't watch the show. Problem solved.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 07:28 PM   #105
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

RandyS wrote: View Post
I had the same thing with New Galactica and "Whiny CryKara". I REFUSE to call her Starbuck. That's Dirk Benedict, thank you.

Of course, I hated most of the characters on New Galactica, but that damn Kara was the absolute worst.
You liked the show while hating most of the characters? That's impressive.