RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,238
Posts: 5,406,549
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 550
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Online Adds More Voyager Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

The Wil Wheaton Project Axed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Kurtzman’s Production Company Signs Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 10 2013, 03:52 PM   #1
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Terra Prime

This was one of the better stories of season 4 and certainly could have wrapped up the series on a better note than a certain episode that shall go unnamed. Paxton made a compelling villain and there was certainly plenty of drama and conflict within the two episodes. Not to mention Archer gave perhaps his one good speech on Enterprise this episode.

The one major unresolved plot point that crossed my mind was, what about all the Terra Prime supporters that were protesting outside the foreign embassies? There were enough people that Soval remarked that humanity didn't seen ready to be joining nonetheless hosting such an interplanetary conference. Not to mention Nathan Samuels, who was a Minister of some sort, apparently had a prosperous and active political career despite his previous affiliation with Terra Prime, which would seem to indicate a lot of people were sympathetic or willing to turn a blind eye to the organization. Not to mention all the racist scenes at Phlox's expense throughout season 4 in the San Fransisco area indicates that sentiment supporting them is rather strong.

The major plot hole I see in this episode is... this is never addressed. Oh sure the good guys save the day again, the bad guy is captured, and Archer gives a good speech that apparently rouses all the foreign dignitaries so much they forget about all of this. But you seemingly have a significant percentage of the Earth population that is... against all this. So much for will of the people, I guess.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Hando
Lieutenant Commander
 
Hando's Avatar
 
Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando
Re: Terra Prime

I would say Terra Prime is a typical National/Nationalist Party, wanting isolation.
Also the whole anti-alien feelings were due to the Xindi attack. I don't believe that it is due to economic reason,as we don't see that many aliens on Earth in any era.
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Terra Prime

R. Star wrote: View Post
This was one of the better stories of season 4 and certainly could have wrapped up the series on a better note than a certain episode that shall go unnamed. Paxton made a compelling villain and there was certainly plenty of drama and conflict within the two episodes. Not to mention Archer gave perhaps his one good speech on Enterprise this episode.

The one major unresolved plot point that crossed my mind was, what about all the Terra Prime supporters that were protesting outside the foreign embassies? There were enough people that Soval remarked that humanity didn't seen ready to be joining nonetheless hosting such an interplanetary conference. Not to mention Nathan Samuels, who was a Minister of some sort, apparently had a prosperous and active political career despite his previous affiliation with Terra Prime, which would seem to indicate a lot of people were sympathetic or willing to turn a blind eye to the organization. Not to mention all the racist scenes at Phlox's expense throughout season 4 in the San Fransisco area indicates that sentiment supporting them is rather strong.

The major plot hole I see in this episode is... this is never addressed. Oh sure the good guys save the day again, the bad guy is captured, and Archer gives a good speech that apparently rouses all the foreign dignitaries so much they forget about all of this. But you seemingly have a significant percentage of the Earth population that is... against all this. So much for will of the people, I guess.
A good question because yoiu know the poblems persisted long after the events of Terra Pime.

I think that as far as the populace is concerned, the conclusion we are supposed to draw is that they have to work this out for themselves over time. The one incident with nut case, Paxton certainly wouldn't be enough to change the minds of so many.

One would assume that just like with Trip and Archer, continued contact with those you fear and distrust teaches that they are no different from us in most respects and therefore there is no reason to fear, distrust, or hate -- just as this is true in real life.

This is one of the reasons I so love Demons/Terra Prime. They are so subtle yet profound in their message about intolerance, keeping it wrapped in a classic Trek story.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Terra Prime

I thought it sort of reflected the United States' isolationist movement before it became actively involved in WWII. The most high profile charismatic celebrity encouraging U.S. isolationism was Charles Lindbergh. Then Pearl Harbor made all that talk irrelevant.
__________________
Moe: I'll take the blonde!
Larry: I'll take the brunette!
Curly: I'll take the Black and Tan!
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 10:15 PM   #5
jespah
Commodore
 
jespah's Avatar
 
Location: Boston, the Gateway to the Galaxy
View jespah's Twitter Profile
Re: Terra Prime

Hmm but the
kind of is ENT's Pearl Harbor.

I think the isolationism doesn't really, completely go away, but it does go more underground.
__________________
Oh, Stewardess! I speak Jive!
http://www.jespah.com (fanfic with all ratings). TU Publishing
Adult Trek Anthology 2
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:44 PM   #6
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Terra Prime

Yes it goes more underground IMO. It's like the anti-immigration movements in Europe and the racism towards immigration prevalent in my own country, Australia. It's there, it gets press coverage, how big it is is debatable (here at least) but official policies go on regardless. Yes you are free to join any group or party that is against immigration/alien alliances but will you win any elections and actually change policy? I don't think the Terra Prime supporters, for all their noise and visibility were able to produce the numbers to get the votes. Likely they were seen as extremists even by people who feared alien contact and sympathized with their policies.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 02:38 AM   #7
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Terra Prime

I'm in Arizona, which is also a hotbed spot. I'm not opposed to immigration, but I think it should be done through already established channels. The problem is the government doesn't have enough people to process the applications in a timely manner, and they never hire more people to help with the process, only enforcers.
__________________
Moe: I'll take the blonde!
Larry: I'll take the brunette!
Curly: I'll take the Black and Tan!
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 08:12 PM   #8
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Terra Prime

Melakon wrote: View Post
I thought it sort of reflected the United States' isolationist movement before it became actively involved in WWII.
The isolationist feelings among Americans prior to involvement in WWII was not based on racism (there is some serious irony in that sentence). In Terra Prime, humans wanted to stay away from aliens because of their fear, and distrust which led to hatred -- racism or, in this case, xenophobia.

Americans who wanted to avoid the WWII conflict simply wanted to stay out of what they perceived as "other people's war".

Both pre-WWII Americans and 24th century humans wanted to be "isolated" but the reasons for wanting isolation were entirely different between the two.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Terra Prime

I'm fairly sure their intended parallel was the anti-Arab resentment that built following the World Trade Center disaster (WTC=TCW?), but remembered Lindbergh's political involvement and statements on racial purity and eugenics.
__________________
Moe: I'll take the blonde!
Larry: I'll take the brunette!
Curly: I'll take the Black and Tan!
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 12:19 AM   #10
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Terra Prime

Melakon wrote: View Post
I'm fairly sure their intended parallel was the anti-Arab resentment that built following the World Trade Center disaster (WTC=TCW?), but remembered Lindbergh's political involvement and statements on racial purity and eugenics.
Can't figure out how this relates to the current topic.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 04:59 AM   #11
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: Terra Prime

Well forgive me then. I saw Harry Groener's politician character standing in for Lindbergh, but if that interpretation of the episode is somehow offtopic, I must be misunderstanding the title of the thread. Maybe I'm confusing it with "Demons".
__________________
Moe: I'll take the blonde!
Larry: I'll take the brunette!
Curly: I'll take the Black and Tan!
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 12:24 PM   #12
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Terra Prime

R. Star wrote: View Post
Not to mention Nathan Samuels, who was a Minister of some sort, apparently had a prosperous and active political career despite his previous affiliation with Terra Prime, which would seem to indicate a lot of people were sympathetic or willing to turn a blind eye to the organization.
Robert Byrd, Democratic from West Virginia.

His membership in the Klan certainly didn't stop him from repeated re-elections to the American federal government (57 years?). He was a power player in the Democratic leadership for much of that time.

His "past associations" likely helped him, more than they hurt him.


T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Terra Prime

T'Girl wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Not to mention Nathan Samuels, who was a Minister of some sort, apparently had a prosperous and active political career despite his previous affiliation with Terra Prime, which would seem to indicate a lot of people were sympathetic or willing to turn a blind eye to the organization.
Robert Byrd, Democratic from West Virginia.

His membership in the Klan certainly didn't stop him from repeated re-elections to the American federal government (57 years?). He was a power player in the Democratic leadership for much of that time.

His "past associations" likely helped him, more than they hurt him.


And Strom Thurman supporting Segregation as well
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 07:23 PM   #14
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Terra Prime

Melakon wrote: View Post
Well forgive me then. I saw Harry Groener's politician character standing in for Lindbergh, but if that interpretation of the episode is somehow offtopic, I must be misunderstanding the title of the thread. Maybe I'm confusing it with "Demons".
I think Groener was way more like the folks mentioned up thread, Robert Byrd and Strom Thurmond, although many would argue that unlike Groener, Byrd and Thurmond never really changed their views -- they only covered them up.

But the immediate topic was the similarities or differences between human isolationist tendencies in Demons/Terre Prime and American isolationist tendencies, pre-WWII.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 07:35 PM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Terra Prime

Yeah, those are good analogies. The Thurmond and Byrd ones, not the Lindbergh one. I never understood why people always have to draw parallels in situations and can't just take them as they are. There seems a huge world of difference in causes and motivations between the pre-WW2 isolationalists and the xenophobic tendencies of people towards aliens after the Xindi incident.

I just don't understand how Earth can transition as presented in the show to loudly protesting against aliens, supporting Terra Prime even after they committed terrorist acts and with a Minister of some sort who's likely quietly sympathetic to them even if he won't come out and say it to starting up the Coalition of Planets in the same episode. The only people who stuck up for it were the main cast and Samuels who's literally just hugging the line between the two for political survival.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.