TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 4 14.81%
Above average 16 59.26%
Average 7 25.93%
Below average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 11 2013, 03:37 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Game of Thrones 3.2 - "Dark Wings, Dark Words" - Rate and discuss

That sounds about right. The actor playing him is in his 20s(!) but looks a lot younger. I agree about him seeming too confident and in charge, when compared to his literary version. I also think he's a little too posh; I'd imagined the Crannogmen as being like the Northmen but poorer and more country bumpkin-ish.
Old April 11 2013, 05:42 PM   #32
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The Cat scene was certainly...well, not in keeping with how I've always viewed her thinking and actions. It was hard to reconcile with the 'it should have been you' comment to Jon when she last saw him at Bran's bedside
Or it could be that at the time she said "it should have been you" her husband was alive, her land was peaceful, one of her daughters wasn't missing, family friends and advisers were still alive and her home wasn't a pile of ruin.

Since she's a prisoner, she's had more than enough time to herself to think about the bad state of things on the personal front and she's blaming herself.

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
The Catelyn scene was terrible and embarrassing.
Really? How so? Most of the negative reaction I've seen comes from people who've read the books. But this isn't the books, and I didn't really have much of a problem with the scene for the reasons stated above.

Last edited by The Lensman; April 12 2013 at 02:03 AM.
The Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 05:49 PM   #33
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I'm a loyal fan of the books and had no problem with the scene. Just a different interpretation of the character that, I think, is still valid.
Old April 11 2013, 06:48 PM   #34
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

Same here, I didn't dislike it either... and I've read the books.

They're shading many of the characters a bit differently, like how they're making Cersei a little nicer and Joffrey a little nastier.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Lensman wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
The Catelyn scene was terrible and embarrassing
Really? How so? Most of the negative reaction I've seen comes from people who've read the books. But this isn't the books, and I didn't really have much of a problem with the scene for the reasons stated above.
I didn't write that- there must be a misattributed quote somewhere in the thread.

ETA- Brendan Moody said that, in post #27 of the thread.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 07:49 PM   #36
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

Speaking of Joffrey, Jack Gleeson is doing such a good job, he's in danger of getting seriously Larry Linvilled by doing such a good job as an a-hole... it's hard to imagine him in a non-evil role.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 07:54 PM   #37
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Speaking of Joffrey, Jack Gleeson is doing such a good job, he's in danger of getting seriously Larry Linvilled by doing such a good job as an a-hole... it's hard to imagine him in a non-evil role.
He's said he may quit screen acting and go into academia full time when Game of Thrones ends, maybe just doing the odd play.
Old April 11 2013, 11:36 PM   #38
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I called the Catelyn scene terrible and embarrassing because it (in the context of other changes made to the character) reduces Catelyn, who in the books subverts fantasy tropes by being assertive and politically savvy but not the stock woman warrior or spunky princess, to someone who frets over being a good enough mom, even when the person in question is not, by the standards of the society, her son. Part of what I admire about A Song of Ice and Fire, and part of what people praise about Game of Thrones, is that it's honest about the grittier, uglier aspects of medieval life, rather than projecting modern values onto a feudal society. But in a feudal society, Jon wouldn't be thought of as Catelyn's son or stepson, and no one would have expected her to love him or suggest he be legitimized. The whole drama of the scene is contrived, and serves no evident purpose except to make Catelyn look bad. If they wanted to show her feeling unreasonably guilty, there are plenty of more concrete things she could, with hindsight, regret.

It's especially baffling since the series had previously downplayed the awkwardness between Jon and Cat by removing the "It should have been you" line from their scene in "The Kingsroad" (which was, given the difficulty of communicating her mental state at the time, a reasonable decision). But this makes her general attitude toward Jon far nastier than it was in the books. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's another bad decision in adapting one of the few characters in the source material who really deserves the series' reputation for breaking with conventions.
Old April 12 2013, 02:20 AM   #39
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I didn't write that- there must be a misattributed quote somewhere in the thread.

ETA- Brendan Moody said that, in post #27 of the thread.
Yeah, that was weird and it's been corrected.

Klaus wrote: View Post
What? You don't remember him as the kid from Batman Begins?

But yeah, he's doing an awesome job at playing an evil bastard.