Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 10 2013, 11:24 AM   #121
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Maybe what you're remembering is the part where Harry Shearer's reporter character hears the Japanese eyewitness call the creature "Gojira" and mispronounces it as "Godzilla" -- and later, when he says it that way on the air, a roomful of Japanese tourists calls out "Gojira!" to correct him.
That doesn't happen in the movie, the only one who corrects him is Maria Pitillo's chaaracter in a bar.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:31 AM   #122
Christopher
Writer

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I'm just saying that they should try to make it look like what it would really be like if it was real.
But sometimes realism isn't the point of a particular art form, as with my Muppet and cartoon examples. Or as with traditional Japanese theater, which often uses puppets that are clearly puppets, operated by visible black-clad stagehands that the audience is trained by theatrical convention to ignore. I tend to see the creatures in tokusatsu films as an extension of that theatrical tradition. They're meant to be stylized and symbolic rather than photorealistic. Some art forms require the audience to engage their own imaginations to enable them to accept what they see as real for the purposes of the narrative.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 08:29 PM   #123
Gojira
Commodore

I do hope we get a Godzilla design that looks life-like and photo-realistic. I do not think the term realism is the right term to use for these movies. As a fan I want the movies to be believable or plausible.
Old April 10 2013, 09:52 PM   #124
lurok
Commodore

I'm assuming this is Godzilla through the years?

(I'm probably not as up as other fans here: DAM was first Godzilla film saw, and probably seen about a dozen or so, mostly 60s/70s ones and couple of later movies. But I really hope they keep the essence of that face, the eyes especially).

ETA: Just discovered there was a Godzilla/Marvel (SHIELD) crossover. Ah, the internet.

Last edited by lurok; April 10 2013 at 10:51 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 10:58 PM   #125
Gojira
Commodore

^Yes, those are pictures of Godzilla through the years. Many complained that Godzilla from the Heisei Series (84-95) looked too feline, while the face on the last Godzilla from 2004 (Final Wars) looked too rat like and was dubed Ratzilla.
Old April 11 2013, 01:52 AM   #126
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

lurok wrote: View Post
ETA: Just discovered there was a Godzilla/Marvel (SHIELD) crossover. Ah, the internet.
Actually, the Marvel "Godzilla" comic series used SHIELD throughout its entire 24-issue run. 'Dum Dum' Dugan has the mission to follow and fight Godzilla. Later issues also had such guest stars as The Champions, Devil Dinosaur, the Fantastic Four and the Avengers. The series is collected in its entirety (though in b/w) in Marvel's "Essential Godzilla". I'd recommend it only for hardcore fans and nostalgics, though. Also, Marvel's Godzilla has a closer physical resemblance to the Hanna/Barbera cartoon version than to the Japanese original.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 03:07 AM   #127
Christopher
Writer

^I think I recall Godzilla showing up in an X-Men issue set in Japan. He fought Lockheed, IIRC. I thought at the time it was just a pop-culture joke, but I guess it must've been a crossover with Marvel's Godzilla comic.

It's interesting how Marvel treated most of its licensed tie-in properties as part of the overall Marvel Universe rather than separate realities. They folded in ROM, Micronauts, GI Joe, Transformers, Godzilla, even Jack Kirby's take on 2001. There was even a Marvel Star Trek comic in 1980 where a simulation of Marvel's Dracula appeared and Spock referenced characters from that comic as real historical figures.

Old April 11 2013, 06:44 AM   #128
JD
Admiral

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I'm just saying that they should try to make it look like what it would really be like if it was real.
But sometimes realism isn't the point of a particular art form, as with my Muppet and cartoon examples. Or as with traditional Japanese theater, which often uses puppets that are clearly puppets, operated by visible black-clad stagehands that the audience is trained by theatrical convention to ignore. I tend to see the creatures in tokusatsu films as an extension of that theatrical tradition. They're meant to be stylized and symbolic rather than photorealistic. Some art forms require the audience to engage their own imaginations to enable them to accept what they see as real for the purposes of the narrative.
Another good example of this would be Henson's live show, Stuffed and Unstrung. During it, the puppet performers are just out on an open stage operating the puppets.
Old April 11 2013, 09:31 AM   #129
Mike Farley
Commodore

^I think I recall Godzilla showing up in an X-Men issue set in Japan. He fought Lockheed, IIRC. I thought at the time it was just a pop-culture joke, but I guess it must've been a crossover with Marvel's Godzilla comic.

It's interesting how Marvel treated most of its licensed tie-in properties as part of the overall Marvel Universe rather than separate realities. They folded in ROM, Micronauts, GI Joe, Transformers, Godzilla, even Jack Kirby's take on 2001. There was even a Marvel Star Trek comic in 1980 where a simulation of Marvel's Dracula appeared and Spock referenced characters from that comic as real historical figures.
I think that was actually Lockheed's female companion from the Beyonder's Battleworld. When the X-Men returned to Earth following the original Secret Wars they materialized in Japan. Lockheed's companion grew to enormous size in Earth's environment. If I remember right, at one point a couple of Japanese school children reference their "monster guide" to identify the creature and briefly consider it night be Godzilla beofre dismissing the thought.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 04:37 PM   #130
Christopher
Writer

^That must be what I was thinking of. Even if Godzilla didn't appear, the comic still treated Godzilla and other daikaiju as real-world entities in Marvel Universe Japan.

Old April 11 2013, 06:45 PM   #131
Mike Farley
Commodore

Godzilla himself appeared in a couple of issues of Iron Man somewhere around that time. He was not called by name and mutated out of copyright appearance by Dr. Demonicus, but it was clearly implied that it was the Big G.
Old April 11 2013, 07:38 PM   #132
Christopher
Writer

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
He was not called by name and mutated out of copyright appearance by Dr. Demonicus
I'm sorry, but that syntax is unclear. Do you mean that someone named Dr. Demonicus mutated Godzilla into an appearance different from his normal, copyrighted one?

Old April 11 2013, 09:19 PM   #133
Mike Farley
Commodore

Yeah. That was a really bad sentence. Sorry.
Old April 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #134
Gojira
Commodore

Here is a small write-up from someone that was an extra in the movie..

As some of you know, I am an extra in the new Godzilla movie. Now, im going to tell you the awesome expierence i had, filming with amazing actors and with the big G himself.

First off, I need to say this. I WAS IN A FRIEKEN GODZILLA MOVIE!!!!!
Okay thats that. My role as an extra in this film was to be a kid getting pulled out of the rubble of a crushed village. It was pretty spectacular. Im not the focus of the scene, im just in the back. It was also very serious. They put make up on me to make me look like I was litterly crushed by a house. And there was the acting part. I had to make a VERY scared looking face. I think i did pretty well because no one yelled at me lol.

Also during the scene, I was in the presence of Brian Cranston. What a guy. I had like a 2 minute convo with him after my scene. He is SO cool. (for those of you who dont know, he has the leading roal of Breaking bad.)

The location was right in my mothers back yard. on Vancouver island. It was pretty nasty outside, so it was a pretty good day to film this scene. It was very cloudy and it looked like it was going to rain. The affects were cool to. There were some fires here and there. and the village looked great. The military vehicles were amazing to. They all looked very real. (assuming they are fake but i could be wrong)

Well, that was my expirence. and i need to say this one more time,
I WAS IN A GODZILLA MOVIE!!!

http://kaijucombat.com/community/ind...-movie.4291%2F
Old April 18 2013, 05:05 PM   #135
Christopher
Writer

That does reflect what I've heard about this movie trying to capture the spirit of the original. Most Godzilla and daikaiju films since the original have glossed over the human cost of kaiju rampages, mostly just showing people fleeing populated areas while supposedly empty buildings are destroyed -- or if they aren't empty, we usually don't see the casualties, at least not until the films made in the 2000s. But the original film was much darker. During Godzilla's rampage, the emphasis was on the terrified victims, with indelible moments like the weeping mother cradling her child, knowing that they were about to be crushed. And afterward, there was a lot of attention paid to the human aftermath, the suffering of the human survivors, the hundreds of wounded and dying cluttering hospital corridors. You could really feel that this was a film made by people who still remembered the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nine years before, who knew the cost of that kind of devastation in real life. And that makes it all the more wrenching.