Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 10 2013, 02:07 PM   #91
Rhaven
Captain

Re: Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

I'll accept that these are very special, almost magical nanites. I don't think all has been revealed about them just yet.
Old April 10 2013, 02:26 PM   #92
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It is possible that the nanites had already been deployed, semi-dormant, for several years, with the intent of eventually performing some kind of unified task. They had just enough internal power to replicate geometrically for a limited period of time and then stopped, waiting for a signal. The "Tower" was given the "order" and the single electronic communication bounced off all the comm satellites in orbit, waking up the nanites and activating them to their full energy-sucking potential. They may all have mini GPS transceivers, restricting certain groups to certain locales. That way, they could either be given individual group orders to attack certain nations, or a back door "scorched earth" order (that DOD boy obviously had programmed into the system) to wipe out everything on the planet.

It may not fully conform to the established plot (and what exactly happened at the tower does remain something of a mystery), but at least no magic is needed to rationalize the "global power outage in seconds" thing.
Old April 10 2013, 02:34 PM   #93
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Why did you say "is it possible"?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 02:35 PM   #94
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I didn't.
Old April 10 2013, 02:40 PM   #95
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh, you didn't.

Sorry.

It's late.

Falling asleep.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 03:50 PM   #96
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
It is possible that the nanites had already been deployed, semi-dormant, for several years, with the intent of eventually performing some kind of unified task. They had just enough internal power to replicate geometrically for a limited period of time and then stopped, waiting for a signal. The "Tower" was given the "order" and the single electronic communication bounced off all the comm satellites in orbit, waking up the nanites and activating them to their full energy-sucking potential. They may all have mini GPS transceivers, restricting certain groups to certain locales. That way, they could either be given individual group orders to attack certain nations, or a back door "scorched earth" order (that DOD boy obviously had programmed into the system) to wipe out everything on the planet.

It may not fully conform to the established plot (and what exactly happened at the tower does remain something of a mystery), but at least no magic is needed to rationalize the "global power outage in seconds" thing.
Good thinking. And that explination fits within mostly of the established plot. That is except for the landing lights as the planes fell but I'll accept the minor discontunity.

A great example in Star Trek is the holodecks. How did 6 or 8 people interact on a holodeck in Quark's bar in a room than appeared to be no larger than 15' x 15'? Well they couldn't. But we suspend our disbelief with holodecks and spatial constrictions just like we do with other things on other shows.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:18 PM   #97
SG-17
Commodore

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
That's not that hard to interpret. The super-indestructible (they must be made out of pure nanitetanium!) amulets simply send out a command in the immediate area that tells them to stop, with the software needed being found on the flash drive itself.

Why it takes such a special amplifier to boost the signal, however... <shrugs> Not sure why they can't just copy the thumb drives either, but... it's all okay, yanno. Scientists!
I think that is tells the nanites in the immediate area to expel electricity rather than absorb it. This would explain how stuff that the batteries have been dead for years can turn on.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 05:13 PM   #98
tighr
Commodore

SG-17 wrote: View Post
I think that is tells the nanites in the immediate area to expel electricity rather than absorb it. This would explain how stuff that the batteries have been dead for years can turn on.
By what, osmosis? The batteries just recharge themselves via induction?
Old April 10 2013, 05:52 PM   #99
SG-17
Commodore

I never said that the batteries get recharged. The nanites power the devices themselves.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 08:36 PM   #100
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I'd just like to know how these nanites have remained functioning -- fully functioning, else devices would have at least flickered on and off repeatedly on a regular basis -- for more than fifteen years without any source of power.

Actually, I'm just going to stop thinking whatsoever. With the indestructable cheap plastic amulets, the all-powerful and hyper-intelligent nanites, and nonsensical state of the world, this show just isn't even worth trying to figure out.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 10:29 PM   #101
Marten
Captain

The US government covers the world with nanites, that can be observed. No other nation or organization questions this. And it all remains secret. Not that likely, is it?
Marten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:26 PM   #102
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Nor is it likely to even work due to the FedGov's propensity for signing on the lowest bidder for a lot of defense projects. The incompetence and waste I've personally seen in that environment is staggering.
Old April 11 2013, 05:43 AM   #103
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^

Sad but true.
Old April 11 2013, 01:17 PM   #104
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
I'd just like to know how these nanites have remained functioning -- fully functioning, else devices would have at least flickered on and off repeatedly on a regular basis -- for more than fifteen years without any source of power.

Actually, I'm just going to stop thinking whatsoever. With the indestructable cheap plastic amulets, the all-powerful and hyper-intelligent nanites, and nonsensical state of the world, this show just isn't even worth trying to figure out.
Did you try to figure out how the magic crystals in Star Trek known as "dilithium," made a star ship travel FTL - oh and sometimes they could be recharged even with the radiation from nuclear aircraft carriers?

or

How "dragon string," can make a magic wand more powerful?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 02:20 PM   #105
Scout101
Admiral

Or how breathing electrical-absorbing nanites into your body (which is a big electrical system) doesn't immediately kill you.

Almost hate when these shows try to make it sound like they thought out the science and it's plausible. Just too easy to nitpick, and anyone with a functional brainstem can see the problem with the theories. I'd rather they just say it's magic, or go the Firefly route and just not talk about it at all....

When it's things like warp drive and DIL crystals, you can kinda accept it, because it's far-future tech, so essentially magic anyway. You have no basis for understanding the concepts the system works on, so can't really nitpick anything but for consistency. When it's about everyday concepts that we understand very well, you can't ask for the same suspension of disbelief. We KNOW how electricity works, so pretty easy to poke all kinds of holes in this dumb nanite scheme.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote