Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 10 2013, 06:42 PM   #31
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

^^^All possible.

But the fact we have now 4 years later is that there is no announcement of the DEs for the release of the new movie in May, probably it won't be in the fall because I think they'd want the new movie to be the only Trek movie on sale at that time to maximize sales of that title.
Also none of the 'insiders' have heard anything about rerendering the Fx for the DE of TMP--which would be a fairly long process. So where does that put us? They are hoping for the next new movie for the 50th anniversary in 2016. Is that really the best we can hope for? 7 years after the previous release---if ever.

As I said, very few movies that have multiple versions DON'T have multiple versions available on Blu-ray. It's sad that Trek is one and they haven't been able to fix that in 4 years--or the near future to come.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 07:03 PM   #32
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

On this we agree, Grant.

I would LOVE to see the DEs of the movies given their due, and there have been no indications that they will.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 08:29 PM   #33
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post

At any rate we have waited 4 years and will have to wait who knows how much longer (2016 50th anniversary?) for the Director's editions?

If they NEVER release them on Blu-ray--I will happily take back my double-dip claim, but I will be leaning a lot more toward incompetence theory.
I can't see them doing a proper re-release for a while (other than just repackaging them). You might be right about the 50th Anniversary. I'm guessing it will come down to numbers - don't forget, a lot of Star Trek fans will be dipping into their back pockets again over the next few years for the TNG, ENTERPRISE & INTER DARKNESS Blu rays.

They would really have to crunch the numbers to work out how many they would sell of the Directors Edition of TWOK. I bought it last time, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Well, never say never (a fool and his money are soon parted) but it would have to be further down the road and be a lot cheaper.

If I were a betting man I don't think we will see the DE on bluray any time soon. If ever.

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
However, the product "as designed" appears to me to have been to present the theatrical editions of the movies, and to save the DEs for a future date, possibly due to the TMP DE being prohibitively expensive to recreate in HD for a library title.
This.

I do tend to agree the project was rushed a bit, but they took the time to change the colour of the deflector dish of the E in THE MOTION PICTURE (in one of the shots inside V'ger) so they can't have been that short on time...
Old April 11 2013, 05:52 AM   #34
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
they took the time to change the colour of the deflector dish of the E in THE MOTION PICTURE (in one of the shots inside V'ger)
I've heard about this, but I could never find the shot in the movie. Can you describe where exactly it appears?
Old April 11 2013, 06:35 AM   #35
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

It happens throughout the movie. Whenever the ship is at impulse power the deflector glows amber, but when the warp engines are on it goes bright blue.

Amber:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd0737.jpg

Blue:
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd1159.jpg
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 09:58 AM   #36
Oso Blanco
Commodore

If you are referring to the color corrections mentioned in the audio commentary of the BD, that was a mistake because they were watching a color corrected transfer that in the end wasn't used for the BD.

See here:
http://blog.darendoc.com/?p=580
Old April 11 2013, 09:01 PM   #37
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
If you are referring to the color corrections mentioned in the audio commentary of the BD, that was a mistake because they were watching a color corrected transfer that in the end wasn't used for the BD.

See here:
http://blog.darendoc.com/?p=580

Weird.

My mind must be playing tricks.

It would seem you are right

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...icture1037.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd1970.jpg

I could have sworn that that bit in the commentary was referring to the shots as Spock leaves the Enterprise, which I could have sworn was blue originally too.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd2103.jpg

It too looks like it might have an effect on it, albeit it more subtle. I threw my VHS copies away years ago so I can't check.

Probably my mind.
Old April 11 2013, 10:02 PM   #38
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

All these screencaps ... My favorite starship ...

I wonder if those color corrections were done initially for the DE, before the editing and new effects were added?

Could it be possible that print was rejected because the color timing was designed with NTSC color restrictions in mind, and would not have been suitable for the Blu-Ray?

Speculation on my part. Well, the Blu is almost certainly the original theatrical release, unmodified.

If they simply played back a working DVD or projected the movie for the commentary, and then the blu-ray encoding was done later or in parallel, it stands to reason this would happen.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 04:36 AM   #39
Oso Blanco
Commodore

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
I wonder if those color corrections were done initially for the DE, before the editing and new effects were added?
That's exactly what happened, see the link I posted above. The color corrections were done under Wise's control for the DE. This is the HD transfer that they were watching for the commentary.