TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old March 31 2013, 10:21 PM   #91
Dream
Admiral

Re: so THATS why some of the cast didn't like Diana Muldaur

Melakon wrote: View Post
In the Sternbach/Okuda TNG Technical Reference Manual, there's a footnote that Gates was concerned with getting medical procedures right, how the equipment supposedly worked, etc. The medical tricorder section of the book was based on notes she asked for regarding all the little buttons and labels on the prop and sequence of operation.
The main reason Gates was fired was because she cared too much about the script and pointing out plotholes while episodes were being made. Gates had an extensive production background and cared about her character. The producers (Rick Berman excluded) got pissed like the morons they were and sacked her.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2013, 10:32 PM   #92
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The version of the story I heard/read was the writing staff backed themselves into a corner with the Picard/Beverly relationship, and someone who shall go nameless (but with the initials MH) pressured Roddenberry to release Gates from her contract.
Old March 31 2013, 10:33 PM   #93
Harvey
Admiral

Uh, no. She was sacked after Paramount didn't lift a finger after repeated sexual harassment from Maurice Hurley, who was, of course, a drinking buddy of Gene's. when Hurley left the staff after season two Gates returned.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 04:03 AM   #94
sonak
Vice Admiral

well the version that I heard was that she suffered from uncontrollable flatulence for that period in her life and it was making the experience of working with her quite unpleasant. During season 2 she had the condition taken care of, and returned without any lingering issues with it from season 3 on.
Old April 1 2013, 12:10 PM   #95
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Uh, no. She was sacked after Paramount didn't lift a finger after repeated sexual harassment from Maurice Hurley, who was, of course, a drinking buddy of Gene's. when Hurley left the staff after season two Gates returned.
I'd heard this version before.

sonak wrote: View Post
well the version that I heard was that she suffered from uncontrollable flatulence for that period in her life and it was making the experience of working with her quite unpleasant. During season 2 she had the condition taken care of, and returned without any lingering issues with it from season 3 on.
I'd never heard this version before. April fools?
Old April 1 2013, 03:43 PM   #96
sonak
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I'd heard this version before.

I'd never heard this version before. April fools?

Yes, I was just joking. I was just amused at the different "rashomon" like versions of the story we were getting, so I threw in a story of my own.
Old April 1 2013, 05:52 PM   #97
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Better be careful, Nichelle Nichols will figure a way to work that into her MLK story.
Old April 2 2013, 01:30 PM   #98
Trek Survivor
Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
The main reason Gates was fired was because she cared too much about the script and pointing out plotholes while episodes were being made.
Unfortunately, the main reason was actually that Maurice Hurley couldn't stop pestering her and got fed up with being told to sod off; he convinced Gene Roddenberry, who he was close to at the time, to let Gates go. Berman was not happy with the decision.
Old April 2 2013, 01:40 PM   #99
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

The Hurley harrassment I'd not heard before, but not surprised, due to knowing of Gene's TOS behavior.
Old April 7 2013, 07:11 PM   #100
Jonesy
Commodore

I am going by memory, but I recall a few posters in the past years here recalling stories about Gates having "minders" watch her in the immediate aftermath of her departure when she would appear at conventions. I guess not too long after she stopped being "watched", she talked about the Maurice Hurley situation. However, what is noteworthy is that Gates eventually stopped talking about the MH harassment. Now, she only mentions the tension she had with the producing team with the issues she had with the scripts.
Old April 11 2013, 06:05 AM   #101
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

WTF??? She quit because Hurley harrassed her plain and simple! Hell, it was so bad Patrick Stewart had to tell him to back off.

And, what's with bad mouthing Roddenberry???? You have no evidence to support the fact that he approved of this behavior???

As someone who has been sexually harrassed I can say that the harrasser was the only one doing the harrassing and not his friends.

When Hurley left, Gene invited her back. And she stayed for the remainer of the show, so if that doesn't prove that Gene left her alone, I don't know what does.
Old April 13 2013, 08:40 PM   #102
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Anji wrote: View Post
And, what's with bad mouthing Roddenberry???? You have no evidence to support the fact that he approved of this behavior???

As someone who has been sexually harrassed I can say that the harrasser was the only one doing the harrassing and not his friends.
So if it happened -- and I emphasize the word "if" -- Roddenberry was the boss.

Say you worked for a guy whose underling was sexually harassing you. You try to get the harasser off your back. Is the harasser fired? No. Is he disciplined? No. Instead, your boss fires you. You seriously wouldn't find anything wrong with that? Of course the boss is responsible for what happens under him. Not doing anything about it is bad enough, but firing you would be even worse, don't you think?

When Hurley left, Gene invited her back. And she stayed for the remainer of the show, so if that doesn't prove that Gene left her alone, I don't know what does.
Again, if it happened, it doesn't reflect well on Roddenberry. At all.
Old April 22 2013, 05:37 PM   #103
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

dg1379 wrote: View Post
Wonder why she said Gene died between 2nd and 3rd seasons when he in fact died a couple years afterwards? Honest mistake? Still a good interview though.
Mistakes are made about people associated with Star Trek prematurely dying all the time...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 01:34 AM   #104
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post
dg1379 wrote: View Post
Wonder why she said Gene died between 2nd and 3rd seasons when he in fact died a couple years afterwards? Honest mistake? Still a good interview though.
Mistakes are made about people associated with Star Trek prematurely dying all the time...
Wil Wheaton made the same mistake in a blog post about how he couldn't leave the series because Gene had died and Berman wouldn't let him. Or something like that.

What they were probably both remembering (or misremembering) is that Roddenberry was no longer involved in the series in any real way any longer.