Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 10 2013, 04:44 AM   #16
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: Captain Picard Prank

The first time I saw you, you were (Doing impressive thing). From that moment I never doubted that you belonged on this ship. Until now. When we join the Federation we give an oath, to hold ourselves to a certain standard of morality, of dignity, and responsibility. By soaking me with a bucket of water, you failed to live up to that oath. We are not Starfleet officers only when we are on duty, we are Starfleet officers and must live up to those standards every minute of the day, no matter what our personal feelings or if violating that oath would be really funny!

Yes sir.

Now return to your station!
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 05:13 AM   #17
not
Lieutenant Commander

WWJLPD?

The obvious answer is Jean-Luc Picard would swear in french!

My theory is that since the families kept their french traditional names, their curse would have be intergenerational too.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:19 AM   #18
Captrek
Rear Admiral

A little pink fuzz on Picard's back suffices to make the entire bridge crew double over in laughter. The bucket would probably kill them.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 09:39 AM   #19
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

He'd probably be pretty miffed. I don't suppose Picard is adverse to the odd prank if it's in good spirits, but being soaked with cold water is a thoroughly unpleasant experience (unless you're at a hydro-spa and do it on purpose, then it's kinda bracing -- but I digress).

We'd have to look at comparable examples, and also consider the changes to Picard's character of the course of seven years. In year one, he was pretty grumpy. Wesley accidentally hit him with a snowball and he was not best pleased. However, since it was an accident, and since Wesley was just a child, he kept his "cool" and let is slide. Picard at that time did not want to lose his sense of dignity. Being humiliated in front of a new crew would not go down well.

Fast-forward seven years and things might be a little different. Picard seemed more easy-going and even participated in a prank - laughing along with Riker has a newly-promoted Worf got dunked into the holo-ocean. Clearly, Picard can appreciate a well-played prank if it's in the right circumstances.

So, I suppose it depends who is doing the bucket-dunking and in what context. If Riker did it, he might just get away with it, but Picard would have to be having a good day.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

If Data did it, Picard would give another speech on the origin of All Fools' Day.
Old April 10 2013, 01:28 PM   #21
Infern0
Captain

I think only Riker could get away with it, and he'd still get a stern talking to.

anyone else would get sacked.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 03:36 PM   #22
not
Lieutenant Commander

Infern0, what about Data?
In the context of trying to be human? His innocence gave him a license to play pranks too.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 05:10 PM   #23
T J
Commodore

Agony booth, set to copious bowl relieving!
Old April 10 2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Captrek
Rear Admiral

not wrote: View Post
In the context of trying to be human? His innocence gave him a license to play pranks too.
In the Worf-dunking incident alluded to above, Data dunked Beverly in an attempt to participate in human behavior. Geordi said it wasn't funny, giving Data to think he was flawed and needed the emotion chip to progress.

IMO, Geordi was full of it. Data dunking Beverly was funnier than Riker dunking Worf.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 07:57 PM   #25
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
In the Worf-dunking incident alluded to above, Data dunked Beverly in an attempt to participate in human behavior. Geordi said it wasn't funny, giving Data to think he was flawed and needed the emotion chip to progress.

IMO, Geordi was full of it. Data dunking Beverly was funnier than Riker dunking Worf.
I agree... Riker removing the plank was just another example of him being a jerk. Beverly laughing over it and telling Data he needs to "get into the spirit of things" well.. that was just asking for it.
Old April 11 2013, 05:38 AM   #26
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

First, he'd wipe the remaining water from the top of his bald head.
Second, he'd give everyone a stern look.
And then he'd bust out laughing.

He's a tough cookie but he's not a prig.
Old April 11 2013, 07:21 AM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
First, he'd wipe the remaining water from the top of his bald head.
Second, he'd give everyone a stern look.
And then he'd bust out laughing.

He's a tough cookie but he's not a prig.
You don't remember the early TNG Picard who just grunted disdainfully at the crew and glared as they applauded him recovering from surgery as if they were bothering him.
Old April 11 2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Marsden
Captain

Captrek wrote: View Post

I agree, that pissed me off. But almost everytime something I thought something was funny someone on the show told the other person it wasn't.

I especially remember the Joe Piscapo episode, I thought Data was funny and everyone acted so condescending towards him and his attempts at comedy.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 12:58 AM   #29
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Marsden wrote: View Post

I especially remember the Joe Piscapo episode, I thought Data was funny and everyone acted so condescending towards him and his attempts at comedy.
Well, with the people Data had around him setting the example, it's no wonder he never could understand humor.