RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 448
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 8 2013, 03:51 PM   #16
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

^ Last year, someone said that the show will end in the present day. If that's the case, it could be a coda tacked onto the last episode. I don't think we'll see entire seasons with them made up to look old in the 90s or 2000s. It'd love to see them at least get into the 70s as far as regular episodes go. Looking at old TV shows, there was quite a drastic change in style when the new decade came around. As far as the late 60s, it was still very much the 60s, but I noticed that hair styles started to change. If you look, you can see a hint of that in the later episodes of Star Trek. At least I saw a bit of it. Will Don keep his polished 50s look? Or will he have big hair and sideburns? Can't wait to see.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 04:09 PM   #17
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ Last year, someone said that the show will end in the present day. If that's the case, it could be a coda tacked onto the last episode. I don't think we'll see entire seasons with them made up to look old in the 90s or 2000s. It'd love to see them at least get into the 70s as far as regular episodes go. Looking at old TV shows, there was quite a drastic change in style when the new decade came around. As far as the late 60s, it was still very much the 60s, but I noticed that hair styles started to change. If you look, you can see a hint of that in the later episodes of Star Trek. At least I saw a bit of it. Will Don keep his polished 50s look? Or will he have big hair and sideburns? Can't wait to see.
Oh sure there were big changes in style happening in 1970 but still many did cling onto their clean cut look.(Shatner was a little shaggy at the start of season 3 and than was a little cleaner later in the season, Nimoy looked the same through the movies.LOL)
Look at shows like Hawaii 5-0 that ran from the 60's to 80's. Jack Lords Macgarret still looked pretty clean cut in 1970. Later though he conformed.

I wonder if Mad Mens last ep will show a scene in 2014 or 15.(the years I am expecting the show to have its last season) Don will be like 89 or 90 by that point. I greatly doubt he will survive that long or be in a nursing home. The younger upstarts like Pete and Peggy may even still be working at that point in their late 70's.
Guess they could also show some scenes set in 2000 or so in which case Don would be Berts age.
Old April 8 2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Dr. Rosen's wife? His friend, Dr.Rosen?

Don, you're such a tool. Though I'm not surprised. I always figured he'd be out cheating eventually. Don's just a womanizer and he's never happy with what he has. When Megan didn't conform to this fantasy view he had of her, it was a matter of time. Crossing a boundary and doing his neighbor's wife is something new. He wants to get caught. Don's fearing death. It happens to a lot of people in middle age. You get scared for awhile then you learn how to deal with it. I remember getting a little obsessed after my 45th birthday. The whole, if I don't live to be 90 my life is more than half over thoughts and what have I accomplished mindset. Of course, I didn't head for the nearest friend's husband.

Don, Don, Don. If you don't care about Megan anymore, at least think of your friend. He seemed like a decent fellow. Don wants out of his marriage. He doesn't want to be the one to ask. Let's just hope next episode is a little less surreal. And what WAS with Betty and that rape joke? Too unsettling. The brown hair looked surprisingly good on her, though. An attempt to look young like Sandy, I suppose.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Data Holmes
Admiral

Dar70 wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Oh sure there were big changes in style happening in 1970 but still many did cling onto their clean cut look.(Shatner was a little shaggy at the start of season 3 and than was a little cleaner later in the season, Nimoy looked the same through the movies.LOL)
Look at shows like Hawaii 5-0 that ran from the 60's to 80's. Jack Lords Macgarret still looked pretty clean cut in 1970. Later though he conformed.

I wonder if Mad Mens last ep will show a scene in 2014 or 15.(the years I am expecting the show to have its last season) Don will be like 89 or 90 by that point. I greatly doubt he will survive that long or be in a nursing home. The younger upstarts like Pete and Peggy may even still be working at that point in their late 70's.
Guess they could also show some scenes set in 2000 or so in which case Don would be Berts age.
Corporate reunion? My grandfather actually went to one of those like ten years ago or so. Or the surviving Sterling Cooper employees attending Don's funeral.
Old April 8 2013, 10:19 PM   #20
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Don's cheating again was quite predictable, and as I posted right after last season ended, boring. Well, not unwatchably boring but certainly not as exciting as it was in the first couple of seasons. I was hoping they would have Don find a different way to express his need to escape or his dissatisfaction with the way things are working out with Megan's high profile career. It is also clear that he still loves Megan - or so it seemed to me.

I thought they portrayed Betty as more human than she has ever been. There is no way season 1 or 2 Betty would have gone down to the Bowery (or wherever that was) with the rats and filth and the (gasp!) unemployed, to help someone. BTW, is she still wearing a fat suit?

Betty's little pedo/rape fantasy was pretty raw, for her. But again, I think it was another step toward making her more human. She always had a raunchy side, but she was always trying to hide it -- she's letting her freak flag fly, here.

I love the way people talk to each other in this show. They are blunt, very direct. It really stands out today because of the care that has to be taken not to hurt feelings or make anyone uncomfortable. This is the way it was before political correctness took hold.

My favorite detail: Peggy picking Oakland or Houston to play in the Super Bowl against Green Bay. Those were the 2 AFC finalists with the Raiders making it to the SB to lose to the Packers.

Peggy is getting to be just like Don -- torturing her team until they (or she) come up with some good ideas.

The clothes and hair just screamed 1967. Their move into '68 should be very interesting. That was a very violent year.

Last edited by gblews; April 8 2013 at 10:35 PM.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 11:46 PM   #21
Lord Garth
Captain

I wrote a long-long post that took too long, so I was logged out while typing up the reply and lost what I wrote, so I'll keep it short this time.*

The violinist was interesting, I wish she hadn't run away yet, it's nice to see Bert Peterson in another way besides knocking objects from people's desks, and Peggy has grown into her role as Creative Director. The scenes involving CGC were my favorite. Hawaii was nice. The Doctor was a good addition to the show and I've always liked the actor who plays him...

... but as for everything else? No.

The rape joke Betty made? Not funny. Sally's attitude? That's going to get old really fast. And someone should've said something about her saying "Betty". Don back to his old tricks? I'm not surprised but I'm disappointed? And with the Doctor's wife? It looks like he's heading down the same path as Pete last year.

[Posted before I lose it again, to be edited.]

Continued: It's hard to take Don's thoughts, or what he thinks in general, seriously when he's going around in circles. With the cheating, I'd say that he's actually regressed as opposed to simply spinning wheels. The burden to carry the torch of interesting story in this relationship is now on Megan. How will she react if she finds out? Will she cheat too, whether or not she does? And, yeah, Don's unfaithfulness in his previous marriage can't be blamed on Betty, no matter how much he tried to use that as an excuse last season for his past behavior.

And why is Peggy still with Abe? They couldn't be more mismatched at this point. And not even in an Opposites Attract manner. They don't compliment each other with their differences, they just don't fit together at all. Except maybe as Peggy's research to see what young guys think of X product or pitch.

And Again: Too many things annoyed me about this episode. The stairway to the second floor calls way too much attention to itself. Don's throwing up at Roger's mother's wake. Roger's scenes with the psychiatrist were overdone. And the random wedding was way too random even though it's obvious it's something that's going to play into later.

The guy in accounts was annoying, but he's supposed to be annoying, and Ken put him in his place, so that's good but, like Sally's attitude, the account guy's persistence will get really old really fast.

Some of the styles look ridiculous now but since that's period-accurate, I can't fault them for it... on a technicality.

It's sad to say this but, from my perspective, I don't think the sixth season is going to be on par with the first five.

* And yes, this is still short compared to what I wrote before.

Last edited by Lord Garth; April 9 2013 at 01:42 AM.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:20 AM   #22
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
The Doctor was a good addition to the show and I've always liked the actor who plays him...
Very good character actor. He had a recurring role in "Dark Angel" a few years back. He played a doctor then too. In every single scene he was in, he was the best actor on the screen by far.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:25 AM   #23
Lord Garth
Captain

I'm re-watching the episode(s) right now. I noticed the look on Peggy's face after she told Abe to listen his music. She's going to dump him. I'll be surprised if she doesn't. I think her and Stan should stay friends but it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up together by the end of the season and I'd take that pairing over the one with Abe.

Whatever happened to Kurt and Smitty? Kurt (and presumably Smitty) were working for CGC in S4. I'd like to see them back.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 12:03 AM   #24
Pondwater
Commodore

I had to run an errand and ended up missing some stuff. Who was that Sandy girl Betty was looking for?
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:34 AM   #25
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Sandy was the daughter of a friend of Henry and Betty's who had passed away. It was Sandy's mother who passed away so Betty was trying to be nice to her. Growth of a sort for Betty.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:14 PM   #26
the G-man
Commodore

I'm re-watching the episode(s) right now. I noticed the look on Peggy's face after she told Abe to listen his music. She's going to dump him...
She should have dumped him a long time ago.

I'm halfway through the episode.

At this point I have to admit it seems a little padded. And, while I know it has to happen, the look of the show as it creeps towards the dreaded seventies is a little off putting.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 03:48 AM   #27
Data Holmes
Admiral

I'm re-watching the episode(s) right now. I noticed the look on Peggy's face after she told Abe to listen his music. She's going to dump him. I'll be surprised if she doesn't. I think her and Stan should stay friends but it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up together by the end of the season and I'd take that pairing over the one with Abe.

Whatever happened to Kurt and Smitty? Kurt (and presumably Smitty) were working for CGC in S4. I'd like to see them back.
She won't dump him, she'll end up cheating on him as she further falls down the "draper model".
Old April 12 2013, 04:18 AM   #28
the G-man
Commodore

If I didn't know that this wasn't the last season the premiere would've made me think they were setting up Don's death very soon. The episode was full of death imagery surrounding don, most prominently the scene of him in bed lying like a corpse.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 06:33 PM   #29
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

the G-man wrote: View Post
If I didn't know that this wasn't the last season the premiere would've made me think they were setting up Don's death very soon. The episode was full of death imagery surrounding don, most prominently the scene of him in bed lying like a corpse.
The finale isn't that far off. They're stopping after the 7th season, so I doubt they'll continue the series all the way to today.

From what I heard the finale is supposed to have Don today. Out of touch. Perfect for 1960 but totally archaic and unable to relate to 21st century advertising. Hell, he'd be 87 or 88 today so it's not totally outside the realm of believability that he would be the chairman emeritus of Draper/Olsen Advertising and he'll die at his desk.
Old April 12 2013, 07:15 PM   #30
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The show ending in the present is a joke by Weiner. I doubt it'll actually happen.