RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,692
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 515
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Favourite Doctor?
1st Doctor-William Hartnel 2 2.02%
2nd Doctor-Patrick Troughton. 13 13.13%
3rd Doctor-Jon Pertwee 5 5.05%
4th Doctor-Tom Baker 21 21.21%
5th Doctor-Peter Davidson 2 2.02%
6th Doctor-Collin Baker 7 7.07%
7th Doctor-Sylvester McCoy 6 6.06%
8th Doctor-Paul McGann 2 2.02%
9th Doctor-Christopher Eccleston 8 8.08%
10th Doctor-David Tennant 21 21.21%
11th Doctor-Matt Smith 12 12.12%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9 2013, 12:00 AM   #121
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus
Re: Favourite Doctor?

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Tom Baker, "Robot" (1974)

Yes, but, but, boo hoo, I want to go home!
Haha ok

I think the point is there a danger of taking DW far too seriously. If you had a show like, I dunno, Battlestar Galactica or something with an episode called "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" that would seem out of character tonally. But DW has always been a bit daft and quirky and, yes, childlike.

It is aimed at a family audience, and as much as some older fans might wince at some of the more slapstick elements of the current era - and I include myself in that! - it's worth remembering

a) that it is not that different from similarly daft things in past eras and therefore tonally okay for the show and

b) we are not the only people the show is for, and there will have no doubt been thousands of children watching the show who adored every last minute of Dinosaurs.

You can go too far in that direction, but I don't think Moffat, who has made many many questionable decisions in his era, has.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:09 AM   #122
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

The thing is I like to take doctor who seriously. I've grown up with doctor who pretty much all my life, and I never really saw any humour in it.

I've always liked things dark and gritty, probably why I liked Torchwood so much. But doctor who, humour, I don't like the two together. Sure add a little humour, make a few jokes, but over all, doctor who is not a comedy.

I don't want doctor who to go through a silly phase, just give us some great stories instead.

In my mind, dinosaurs on a spaceship was too far in the silly and childish direction. However, I will admit the following episode, "A town called mercy" was so much worse. corny cowboy music, utter shit.

In my mind, doctor who needs to go back to the slightly more mature and dark direction of the seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth doctors eras.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:28 AM   #123
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The thing is I like to take doctor who seriously. I've grown up with doctor who pretty much all my life, and I never really saw any humour in it.
You missed a lot then, because humor was undeniably there, and quite a lot of it.
Old April 9 2013, 02:56 AM   #124
Aldo
Admiral

Wasn't McCoy initially cast because of his background in comedy? His Doctor is quite humorous in his first few serials. Lots of slapstick too.
Old April 9 2013, 03:15 AM   #125
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

What?! Doctor Who has always been funny. Half of Tom Baker's episodes are more comedy than drama.
Old April 9 2013, 09:31 AM   #126
Starkers
Admiral

Atticus wrote: View Post
Tom Baker, "Robot" (1974)

Yes, but, but, boo hoo, I want to go home!
Haha ok

I think the point is there a danger of taking DW far too seriously. If you had a show like, I dunno, Battlestar Galactica or something with an episode called "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" that would seem out of character tonally. But DW has always been a bit daft and quirky and, yes, childlike.

It is aimed at a family audience, and as much as some older fans might wince at some of the more slapstick elements of the current era - and I include myself in that! - it's worth remembering

a) that it is not that different from similarly daft things in past eras and therefore tonally okay for the show and

b) we are not the only people the show is for, and there will have no doubt been thousands of children watching the show who adored every last minute of Dinosaurs.

You can go too far in that direction, but I don't think Moffat, who has made many many questionable decisions in his era, has.
Forget children, this 42 year old loved every second of Dinos on a spaceship

Bit silly to ignore the hmour/silliness that's been ever present in Who. I mean, to quote Sarah Jane Smith in School Renuinon "Loch.Ness.Monster"

Anyway my rankings have probably shifted a bit since the last time I did this but...

1. Smith (and yes I'm a hypocrite cos I always complaind when people voted Tennant so highly when he was the incumbant)
2. Davison (My Doctor even though he wasn't my first Doctor)
3. Troughton. (Such a fantastic Doctor, great companions too)
4. Tennant (When he's good he's very good, unfortunately he's not always good...)
5. Eccleston (Different take on the Doctor in all sorts of ways, yet still recognisable as the Doctor, and though we only had him for a year he's a huge reason why the show succeeded when it returned-wish he'd done the 50th but I don't begrudge him not)
6. Tom (He stayed in the role too long, got way too big for his boots then patently didn't care anymore, but at his best he is superb, often cited as the ultimate Doctor which I always find odd given there's little of the first three Docs in his portrayal. I'm not saying an actor should be beholden to his predecessors but there should be odd glimpses of other Doctors in there, Davison did this perfectly IMO, Tom was just Tom)
7.McCoy (Much like Tennant when he's good he's great, unlike Tennant the amount of times he's good is far too limited. Still he's the Doctor in my favourite ever serial so that counts for something.)
8. Pertwee (I like Pertwee Ive just never quite been able to feel the love for his Doctor, not quite sure why, I think I just like my Doctor's to appear a little more bumbling, less in control of the situation)
9. McGann (I liked a lot of what I saw of him, he reminded me a bit of Davison but never listened to the audios so I only really have about 60 minutes of screen time to judge him on, not enough.
10. Baker (The Doctor of extremes, from his outfit to his attitudes. An arrogant, moody Doctor is fine, if those traits are compensated for by others, I didn't see enough of the softer/more vulnerable side of Colin unfortunately)
11. Hartnell (As with McGann I haven't seen enough of his Doctor to really make much of a judgement call)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 09:43 AM   #127
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

My favourite is Patrick Troughton but I am old enough to have seen and remember all his lost episodes.

My next two favourites are Matt Smith and David Tennant.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 01:44 PM   #128
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Ahh. That's a shame. You've really missed out a huge part of what makes DW so special. Humour is an integral part of its DNA. "Dark and gritty" are not synonyms I would have used to describe it, well, ever. Certainly not in its TV incarnation.

But back on topic, my favourite Doctor remains Troughton, followed by McCoy (S25-6) and then BF McGann. But they're wonderful chaps, all of them
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:26 PM   #129
zarkon
Captain

McCoy.

This may or may not have anything to do with me having just watched Greatest Show in the Galaxy.
Old April 10 2013, 02:48 PM   #130
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

sidious618 wrote: View Post
What?! Doctor Who has always been funny. Half of Tom Baker's episodes are more comedy than drama.
I've never been a big Baker fan.

Besides, I'm too young to remember Bakers era. I've seen his DVDs, but I wasn't even alive in his era.
Old April 10 2013, 02:56 PM   #131
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I've never been a big Baker fan.

Besides, I'm too young to remember Bakers era. I've seen his DVDs, but I wasn't even alive in his era.
No offense, but we're entering "three monkeys" territory here.
Old April 10 2013, 03:12 PM   #132
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

"Three Monkeys"?
Old April 10 2013, 07:58 PM   #133
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

^ "See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil"

I'm pretty sure as in, "I'm just going to ignore you speaking ill of Four so I don't say anything bad."
Old April 10 2013, 08:26 PM   #134
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
^ "See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil"

I'm pretty sure as in, "I'm just going to ignore you speaking ill of Four so I don't say anything bad."
And here I thought he was implying there were two other monkeys around ... joking.

Yea, See no Evil... was what instantly came to my mind, too

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 03:12 AM   #135
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Troughton