sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Infinity is the one that piques my interest the most, because it's the most open-ended, harkening back to TOS or maybe VOY but I like to stay positive here. :D

With this tsunami of shows, how does the Blake's 7 remake fit? Is it greenlit in a more definite way than the rest of these, further along in development, or is it just one of several space opera series all jostling for a limited number of timeslots?

I haven't seen an article that says, yes, Blake's 7 has a series order. (The link from the "SyFy on Galaxy Quest" article is broken.) I could see SyFy having two space operas on at the same time, but not sure it's reasonable to hope for more.

PS, I nominate Claudia Black for the lead role of Orion (even if my hunch is, it'll go to an unknown half her age.) And Ben Browder has a new job somewhere in there, preferably a villain this time. ;)

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Blake's 7 has a 13-episode order.

3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I'm excited to see all of these possible projects. Infinity seems the most interesting to me.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Two things bug me about it. One, this is a concept done at least three times before (Lost in Space, Star Trek: Voyager and Stargate: Universe. Two, it seems like it's leaving its most compelling story (first contact with aliens) behind. Of course, if it's done right it could be interesting.

I think Sojourn actually sounds the most interesting based on the blurbs we have.

5. Temis the Vorta

The thing about Infinity is, it's a blank slate. VOY's example did flicker across my mind, but I chose to ignore it. ;) The lack of any set formula suggests creative freedom and even the possibility interests me.

The other ones, I sort of know where they're going. Orion = Indiana Jones/Lara Croft. Sojourn could get bogged down with a mystery that spins its wheels until the audience gives up in frustration, and if it doesn't get cancelled and we actually get to the resolution, it could easily be another Lost. Clandestine overlaps with Blake's 7's premise too much - I'd like to see one of the two, but do we really need both?

The danger of High Moon is that Bryan Fuller's approach tends to be sweet and whimsical and charming but lacking in the kind of focus that holds the audience's attention. "Discovering the secrets of a new life form" sounds fun in principle but is it going to keep people tuning in week after week?

So basically they're all going to suck. :rommie: Or maybe I'm suspicious of so much space opera all at once that I need to ward off the evil eye by dissing all of it.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Syfy has a pretty full slate of programming for the next year or so. Of the shows in script development, we'll probably only see one or two ordered to pilot a year from now.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Lots of interesting news. The Space Operas sound vaguely interesting, though I'm very disappointed that Defender was not picked up.

But here we have some fantastic news:

I really hope they can do these classics justice. :bolian:

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Given Syfy's track record with miniseries adaptations of novels, I'm not optimistic about Ringworld and Childhood's End turning out well.

But I'll take heart from something Greg Cox told me once or twice: That even a bad screen adaptation of a novel will still bring new recognition and popularity to the novel itself, and new royalties to the author (or his heirs, if Clarke has any). So however these miniseries turn out, it's still a good thing that they're being made.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Infinity is ripped out of the headlines, with all of these techno-philanthropists and private startups forming space based companies or giving money to research. Kind of a cool idea.

RAMA

10. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Well they went ffrom none to too many mediocre ones. It makes sense. They have to justify their $1000 suits. They're sly-flys now.

11. RJDiogenes

I don't think they've ever adapted a novel I cared about before, so I don't know. But the original mini-series that they used to do have been pretty good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

12. Temis the Vorta

News on S.H.I.E.L.D.

The title might get changed, probably for annoying legal reasons, not because there's anything wrong with it:

Legal perspective maybe. Nobody in the real world is likely to get the two shows confused.

Press release description:

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

http://m.adweek.com/news/television...-niven-arthur-c-clarke-new-jamie-foxx-series-

Silver shields? Space opera?!

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The comma is misleading. Those are two different shows being referenced in that sentence. Hurd's space opera is Clandestine.

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Clandestine

Here is info on it:

Also
    Sojourn
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04...syfy-development-slate-boosts-for-high-orbit/

Synopsis of 6 shows at the link.

Also the Starz alien planet-based scifi show "Incursion" major info here

'Incursion,' Starz's Sci-Fi War Drama, Will Have A Female Lead
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/04/10/incursion-starz-news_n_3054897.html

16. RJDiogenes

I'm interested in the Crypt-style anthology, but it's nice to see a half-hour show for a change-- but won't they need another half-hour show to pair it with?

17. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not genre but I am hoping 'Reign' makes it through.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Here's an interview with Ron Moore about Helix, his upcoming Syfy show.

19. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Lost meets Walking Dead?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could always just show two episodes back to back like they do with most syndicated sitcoms.