Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 10 2013, 02:06 PM   #31
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)
Re: Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Kira and O'Brien for me. Couldn't stand either of them throughout the entire series. Same with Vedek Bariel and Winn.

I also didn't like Weoyun at first but he great into probably my favorite character on the show if not in all of Trek.

Worf did get a little annoying as someone else stated, but he's not as bad as the other two for me.

I've always liked Bashir, Garak, Odo, Quark, Jadzia Dax, and Sisko throughout the entire series. Oh and for bad guys, Gul Dukat was great.
Old April 10 2013, 05:42 PM   #32
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Bareil.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 07:28 PM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

DS9forever wrote: View Post
Bareil.
Really? Sure he was the holy man type, but wasn't so.... in your face about it as some of them, especially Winn. Not like he was around much anyways.
Old April 10 2013, 09:54 PM   #34
t_smitts
Commander

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I'd say early Bashir annoyed me a lot. But by season 3 or 4, they'd made an active effort to make him less insufferable and though that major plot twist concerning him is really out there, it suited him in the end. Though Ezri did annoy me too... but for spoilers I won't get into that. Let's just say she distracted from the main plot more often than contributing to it.

As for Nog, Captain Kathryn. I'd actually say he probably had the best character arc out of -everyone- on DS9. He's a petty Ferengi brat at first but he changes... a lot. If you watched the season 7 finale of DS9 you seriously wouldn't recognize him, but the slow changes over the years really do become him.
Dang...all these premonitions about Nog coming in. I might have to look up spoilers to satisfy my curiousity now... Or should I just wait and be surprised?
Don't do it! You'll be glad you let yourself be surprised. (I will tell you that the episode in question in "Heart of Stone")

There's also a BIG change for Odo right at the start of season 3. A REALLY big one!

There's a lot of major characters introduced in seasons 3 and 4 who become VERY important later on. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying their names, but watch out for Damar, Weyoun, and Martok especially (but you won't see any of them until season 4). To a lesser degree, keep an eye on Brunt, Leeta, and Kassidy Yates (all of whom are introduced in season 3).

Sigokat wrote: View Post
Kira and O'Brien for me. Couldn't stand either of them throughout the entire series. Same with Vedek Bariel and Winn.

I also didn't like Weoyun at first but he great into probably my favorite character on the show if not in all of Trek.

Worf did get a little annoying as someone else stated, but he's not as bad as the other two for me.

I've always liked Bashir, Garak, Odo, Quark, Jadzia Dax, and Sisko throughout the entire series. Oh and for bad guys, Gul Dukat was great.
I've never met anyone who didn't like O'Brien!
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 10:08 PM   #35
lurok
Commodore

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I am almost done Season 2, but so far I do not hate any of the characters.

Sometimes it seems like Sisko can be a bit monotone-sounding at times...He could use a little more...zing?
He definitely gets more zing .

I can understand people hating Rom (but it seems he was meant to be annoying). And yeah, Kira was a bit whiney/over-compensatingly aggressive. As for O'Brien, he's ok. Just a bit dull sometimes. And can happily skip those suffer eps.

I'll just never get Bareil, but maybe not a typical fan.
Old April 10 2013, 10:25 PM   #36
Ryva Brall
Commander

I personally like a lot of the O'Brien episodes; particularly "Hard Time". Some of Colm Meaney's best acting is in that episode. What bugs me, though, is that he's completely fine in the next episode. He never seems to suffer any ill effects from all the torture he gets put through. *sigh* Star Trek and continuity have never been the best of friends.

Although Quark is one of my favorite characters, I can imagine a lot of viewers disliked him. He IS greedy, cunning, and manipulative, after all. And let's face it, Ferengi characters aren't likely to win any Trek beauty contests. :P
Old April 11 2013, 12:29 AM   #37
t_smitts
Commander

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
I personally like a lot of the O'Brien episodes; particularly "Hard Time". Some of Colm Meaney's best acting is in that episode. What bugs me, though, is that he's completely fine in the next episode. He never seems to suffer any ill effects from all the torture he gets put through. *sigh* Star Trek and continuity have never been the best of friends.

Although Quark is one of my favorite characters, I can imagine a lot of viewers disliked him. He IS greedy, cunning, and manipulative, after all. And let's face it, Ferengi characters aren't likely to win any Trek beauty contests. :P
Indeed. While Colm puts on a great performance, it's strange that it's never even slightly referenced ever again. Actually, I thought it might've been taking the usual "torture O'Brien" theme a bit too far, but on the plus side, if you're not crazy about that episode, you can honestly just pretend it never happened.

(Interesting side-note, originally, the episode was supposed to deal with Sito Jaxa and her coping with having been in Cardassian prison. In retrospect, that might've been better).
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 12:34 AM   #38
Shanndee
Commodore

I didn't like Bariel either. I had a friend who continually gushed about his charisma and charm, while I found him bland and boring. I actually got a bit of a creepy vibe off of him when it came to Kira...he felt almost stalker-ish to me. I won't say more in respect of new viewers...but suffice it to say that my friend and I had some good disagreements over that!

Hello new friend!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 12:52 AM   #39
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
I'd say early Bashir annoyed me a lot. But by season 3 or 4, they'd made an active effort to make him less insufferable and though that major plot twist concerning him is really out there, it suited him in the end. Though Ezri did annoy me too... but for spoilers I won't get into that. Let's just say she distracted from the main plot more often than contributing to it.

As for Nog, Captain Kathryn. I'd actually say he probably had the best character arc out of -everyone- on DS9. He's a petty Ferengi brat at first but he changes... a lot. If you watched the season 7 finale of DS9 you seriously wouldn't recognize him, but the slow changes over the years really do become him.
I really hated Bashir's twist. They turned him into a gimmick character, and it made no retroactive sense. They also introduced a class of people with no basic human rights into the Federation and it led to some of the most annoying characters in the series.

The three crazy genetics were some of the most obnoxiously over the top characters in the series and it made no sense that they were not executed for high treason.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 02:48 AM   #40
Ryva Brall
Commander

Ha! That's a coincidence. Teacake and I were just saying in another thread how much we liked the mutants. Sorry.
Old April 11 2013, 03:52 AM   #41
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

And let's face it, Ferengi characters aren't likely to win any Trek beauty contests. :P
Says you.
Old April 11 2013, 05:38 AM   #42
Sigokat
Commander

t_smitts wrote: View Post
I know, I know. I'm one of the very few that can't stand O'Brien. Nothing about his character was interesting to me and I don't really care for the actor very much.
Old April 11 2013, 05:40 AM   #43
Sigokat
Commander

Shanndee wrote: View Post
I didn't like Bariel either. I had a friend who continually gushed about his charisma and charm, while I found him bland and boring. I actually got a bit of a creepy vibe off of him when it came to Kira...he felt almost stalker-ish to me. I won't say more in respect of new viewers...but suffice it to say that my friend and I had some good disagreements over that!

Hello new friend!
Hi! Yep, I turned into a big Weoyun fan, but I think alot of his appeal was to Combs amazing acting. He really made such a detestable character likable. Once I warmed up to him, I always loved seeing him on screen.
Old April 11 2013, 05:55 AM   #44
Ryva Brall
Commander

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
And let's face it, Ferengi characters aren't likely to win any Trek beauty contests. :P
Says you.
Oh, God. I knew it was going to be that clip.
Old April 11 2013, 06:00 AM   #45
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

t_smitts wrote: View Post
I know, I know. I'm one of the very few that can't stand O'Brien. Nothing about his character was interesting to me and I don't really care for the actor very much.
I'm Irish. Therefore I like O'Brien.
Just kidding!

No, I really do like him though. He seems like he is a genuinely smart and nice guy, and he's a good engineer. He doesn't have the quick speedy answers and irrepressible zest for engineering that I see B'Elanna have on VOY, but still he ranks up there for me among the best in my eyes.

His wife is pretty one-dimensional and she annoyed me a little bit in the very beginning. I don't know why exactly. Their baby daughter is just so adorable though...I could look at that kid's face all day.