Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 9 2013, 01:00 PM   #151
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker
Re: Roger Ebert is dead...

The people who are defiling this thread ought to look into a mirror and shame themselves into silence.

Not for behaving in a way that some find disagreeable, but for being of such a limited perception that they are unable to rise above their own crude mediocrity for 10 minutes in a memorial thread for someone who actually was someone.

Roger Ebert's greatest achievement was that he was somebody. That is a claim that not many, if any, in this thread can make.

By comparison to the man, we are nobodies. If you can't respect that, or try and wriggle around it, then you're simply a coward.

His work elevated him above most people on the planet. He stood out, stood up and when he spoke, people listened. He added something to the world. A sizable portion of the planet knew who he was, had read his writing and had an appreciation for his work.

Millions of people judged the man's work to be worthy of their time. This is something that, once again, most of us cannot honestly claim.

On many evenings I spent 30 minutes to an hour just browsing and reading his reviews of movies I hadn't even seen, just because they were thoughtful and interesting pieces of writing.

Even when I disagreed with him, I read his writing because his arguments were informed and his opinion always totally respectable. He once stated after the release of the computer game BioShock that "games would never be art"... a view I respected because I granted that his complex understanding of the subject was greater than my own, even if I disagreed with it from my own distant vantage point.

I could go on, but I'd be repeating myself.

The ones who came here not to remember but to stir... I can honestly say your perspectives are so narrow that I pity you. Your ambitions so limited that I wouldn't want to be you. You live and breath what the rest of us cast aside and seem to thirst for more at the end.

You wallow in mediocrity and will never change.

We'll all join Ebert one day. Few of us, if any, will leave behind such a legacy as he did.

RIP Roger Ebert.
Old April 9 2013, 01:40 PM   #152
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Speed II.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 04:03 PM   #153
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

For what it's worth, Ebert ultimately did moderate his views on games a bit; those who are tempted to begrudge him that would be well-advised to read his bio on Wikipedia.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 04:20 PM   #154
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Just to be clear.. I wasn't the one who tried to defile the the thread. I was simply pointing out that, in the latter ten years or so of his reviews, he inserted more of his personal politics. As a commentator with as much stature as he has, that's for the most part, okay, but as foxhot and I were trying to say, there was more blatant politicizing in his columns than ever before. Sometimes, I thought it was blatant. It's my opinion. He was still my favorite columnist ever, bar none... and someone who helped shape who I am today as a thinker regarding movies and even life itself.
Old April 9 2013, 05:02 PM   #155
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Joker wrote: View Post
The people who are defiling this thread ought to look into a mirror and shame themselves into silence.
Why?

Because he was moderately well known to the public? Or is everyone supposed to treat him like a close and dear family member, gutted at his passing, and knowing our lives will never be the same without him? Or is everyone supposed to deeply mourn and respect any living creature that dies?

"It's nice that some people consider it to be something more than that... but don't shit yourself when not everyone agrees." --Joker

But it's okay, I guess if spend all of your time bitching about the living, you have to respect something. So it might as well be dead strangers you've never met let alone had any kind of personal relationship outside the delusions of your own mind.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:11 PM   #156
the G-man
Commodore

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Can we just drop all the political bullshit, please?....There's lovely article at the Chicago Tribune about Roger's funeral---HERE.
There's a certain irony in asking to drop "political bullshit" and then linking to a "lovely" story about, among other things, Ebert's political views and eulogies from various politicians.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:15 PM   #157
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

the G-man wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
Can we just drop all the political bullshit, please?....There's lovely article at the Chicago Tribune about Roger's funeral---HERE.
There's a certain irony in asking to drop "political bullshit" and then linking to a "lovely" story about, among other things, Ebert's political views and eulogies from various politicians.
Dude, how dense are you? What part of let it fucking go do you not get?
Old April 10 2013, 06:26 PM   #158
the G-man
Commodore

What part of let it fucking go do you not get?
Oh, I am perfectly willing to let it go (though apparently no one else is, given many of the posts above mine and after hers). I just thought the particular article choice was ironic.

What can I say? It's like rain on your wedding day...
Old April 10 2013, 06:31 PM   #159
the G-man
Commodore

On a completely apolitical note...

Tyler Perry Arrested After Police Determine ‘Temptation’ Was Last Movie Seen By Roger Ebert: The decision to bring Perry into custody came on the heels of the autopsy report finding Ebert’s cause of death was revulsion, most likely caused by watching “Tyler Perry’s Temptation” which scored a dismal rotten rating of 17% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old April 10 2013, 06:37 PM   #160
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Back on topic:

auntiehill, the article you posted was lovely. I especially liked the bit about the government official who ended his comments at the service with "In heaven, the angels are all saying "Thumbs up."

I think it would be patently obvious from the outpouring of people who attended Ebert's funeral that the man will be universally missed; cinema criticism and cinema itself as a whole will be far lesser with his absence now.
Old April 10 2013, 07:02 PM   #161
J.T.B.
Commodore

Maybe if the reader is applying a ridiculously politically-partisan filter. There is one sentence that could be construed as pointing to personal politics, in a Glenn Beck dog-whistle kind of way: "Quinn heralded Ebert’s passion for education, social justice and working-people’s rights." Those concerns point exclusively to lefties, apparently?

And the fact that a lot of Democratic politicians showed up at a funeral for a prominent Chicagoan is hardly surprising given the political makeup of the city.

Oh, I am perfectly willing to let it go (though apparently no one else is, given many of the posts above mine and after hers). I just thought the particular article choice was ironic.
The article was reporting the events of the funeral, not taking an editorial position so there is really no comparison to the political axes being ground in this thread. Much less irony.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 07:11 PM   #162
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

That word. Irony.

I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old April 10 2013, 08:57 PM   #163
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Knowledge

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I printed out Ebert's 300 Great Movies list, and will be going through checking off what I've seen, and then working towards seeing the rest of them.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 09:46 PM   #164
the G-man
Commodore

I think you mistook my tone for disgust. I was actually amused.

Damn.

Now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.
Old April 10 2013, 10:14 PM   #165
foxhot
Fleet Captain

God bless Roger Ebert, Margaret Thatcher, Carmine Infantino and Annette Funicello. None of them were perfect. Hands across America.

Here's one thing Siskel, Ebert and I all have publicly agreed one more than once each: Pauline Kael was as good as it gets. She wasn't on television as much as her reviews were generally lengthier and livelier than anyone's, and certainly just as opinionated. Before virtually any of her peers, she was unafraid to dislike ANY film. Even SHOAH. And for one glorious year in 1983, she liked all the same movies I did.

No defilement there. And no canonization.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote