TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 9 2013, 10:58 PM   #76
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Blake's 7 given the go ahead by Syfy

Those won't fit in my DVD player.

Depends where you live, I don't think we ever got Blake's 7.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 11:17 PM   #77
JD
Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post

Heck, all that we need to happen now is for someone like Peter Jackson to direct an episode of Doctor Who...
There actually is a very slight chance that could happen someday. Jackson has said repeatedly that he would love to direct an episode, but they just haven't been able to work things out.
As for B7 sadly I've never seen it. I've been searching for it for years, but it's not on DVD or streaming anywhere.
I am curious about the new version though. I've been pretty happy with most of Syfy's stuff that I've seen, and the story does seem interesting.
Old April 9 2013, 11:20 PM   #78
Davros
Fleet Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
As for B7 sadly I've never seen it. I've been searching for it for years, but it's not on DVD or streaming anywhere.
Check youtube
Old April 10 2013, 12:37 AM   #79
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Where are people in the US supposed to have seen Blakes Seven? I a little puzzled as to how it can have name appeal when the series has been unavailable.
Our PBS programers are Anglophiles, but it has been a generation since it was last on in the lower powered station in the next programing area.
Old April 10 2013, 12:42 AM   #80
Tom
Rear Admiral

It was on PBS in the 80's, that when I first saw it. they would play B& and Doctor who back to back!

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:07 AM   #81
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Check youtube
Yea, the pilot is there all in one chunk, and I saw numerous other episodes that have chunks of 10 minutes long and are named ... 1 of 5, 2 of 5, and so forth, so, it looks like there's a lot there, and very possibly most.

I used search term: Blake's 7 Season 1 Episode 1 playlist

to find the Pilot all in one shot, and numerous other episodes listed in 10 minute chunks (5 or 6 of these would make up a full episode, hence why they say "x of 5" or "x of 6")

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:20 AM   #82
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Most of them are on there in full. All those new to the show brace yourselves for hilariously bad SFX.

That was the one thing I've always hoped they would do - remaster it with updated SFX and release it on DVD.
Old April 10 2013, 01:34 AM   #83
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I always enjoyed the Liberator's vast wardrobe, it seemed like they wore something different every episode, including some unfortunate choices.

Also, if you marathon and watch multiple in a row you'll have the theme music in your head for days.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:52 AM   #84
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^^ I always enjoyed the Liberator's vast wardrobe, it seemed like they wore something different every episode, including some unfortunate choices.
Ah, yes, the clothes... Time to repost this:

(It's all part of the charme, though.)
Old April 10 2013, 03:32 AM   #85
Christopher
Writer

It always puzzles me when people make fun of the clothing in SF shows set in the far future. Clothes from decades or centuries in the past often look ludicrous to our eyes, and ours would surely look ludicrous to people from the past. So I tend to think that if a future-based show's fashions aren't strange-looking to us, then they're doing it wrong.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 05:11 AM   #86
stj
Rear Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
It was on PBS in the 80's, that when I first saw it. they would play B& and Doctor who back to back!
Now you tell me!

That would explain it, I didn't watch much television in the Eighties.

Will try youtube. Thanks to all for answers.

PS On the clothes issue...the deliberate use of anachronism, the pretense that nothing will ever change, is absurd. You don't have to live very long to know that things do change, even if you don't notice from day to day. The apparent need to pretend (I hope it's a pretense!) ignorance of an inescapable fact of life more and more strikes me as a sure symptom of hack writing.
Old April 10 2013, 05:29 AM   #87
Candlelight
Admiral

I would love the special effects to be ropey. To see the Liberator wobbling on strings again (or Scorpio in her matte circle) would be awesome.
Old April 10 2013, 05:48 AM   #88
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

The most important thing about Blake's 7 is the Avon/Blake relationship, IMHO, and how Avon actually takes over Blake's position.

Any "new version" will have to work very hard to get that right, from the dialogue, the delivery, the nuisance of that bizarre hatred/admiration/loyalty/suspicion relationship.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 07:37 AM   #89
Candlelight
Admiral

I haven't seen that in years, thanks!
Old April 10 2013, 10:38 AM   #90
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile

Marc wrote: View Post
Also wonder want it means to for current B7 related projects, Big Finish is doing the Liberator Chronicles audios and well as new novels.

Not sure what the status of the re-imaged audio drama is.
It's my understanding that the Big Finish "classic" B7 audios won't be affected by any new series - just as their Doctor Who and Dark Shadows audios were not affected by new versions of those franchises.

As for the re-imagined audio series: we produced three episodes for our first "season" and eight stories were released for the 'Early Years' prequels.
Scripts for a second season of the audio adventures series were completed, and outlines produced for a third, but production costs meant that we never went ahead with them.

Tom wrote: View Post
Me 4, I love B7 but it on SyFy does scares me a bit. IT should be re-made by the BBC, IMO, but that ship has sailed. I hope the crew behind this knows how to handle it.
The BBC have been offered the chance to produce a B7 remake more than once; they have turned it down every time.
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote