RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 475
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10 2013, 04:49 AM   #256
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
She didn't seem to mind River though?
Good point. Maybe the plot requires it now?
Why would the TARDIS have a problem with River? The only real reason her story is complicated is because the Doctor always meets her in the wrong order. There is nothing inherently problematic about her existence.

Clara, on the other hand, has died at least twice in two completely different time periods, yet is also alive and kicking as a normal 21st Century girl.

River's existence might be complicated, but Clara's is impossible.
Old April 10 2013, 06:25 AM   #257
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

They were riding a space scooter obviously designed to be used to jump from asteroid/moon to asteroid/moon. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't be wondering about the minute details of how it operates, because it's obvious that it was just a space scooter designed for jumping between asteroids/moons.

Regarding midicholorians, I've never understood why people thought they were the source of the Force. The way they were talked about, it was clear that they were simply an indicator of it; ie, they increase in number the more powerful you likely are with the Force. Not that they have anything at all to do with it whatsoever.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 08:47 AM   #258
Starkers
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
She didn't seem to mind River though?
Good point. Maybe the plot requires it now?
Why would the TARDIS have a problem with River? The only real reason her story is complicated is because the Doctor always meets her in the wrong order. There is nothing inherently problematic about her existence.

Clara, on the other hand, has died at least twice in two completely different time periods, yet is also alive and kicking as a normal 21st Century girl.

River's existence might be complicated, but Clara's is impossible.
My point was relating to something someone said about Clara being a threat to the Doctor, and clearly River was, technically, a threat to the Doctor as well!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 09:50 AM   #259
throwback
Captain

As for the TARDIS not liking Clara, I think that people are forgetting that the ship did more than lock the doors. The ship made a noise and the lights flickered dangerously, like someone expressing disapproval and/or anger.

Science has always been dodgy in this franchise. I remember reading commentaries on this series, published by Mad Norwegian Press, in which the commentators discussed the science and demonstrated how flawed it was.

I think the TARDIS, as an individual, selects which languages are translatable, based on her own subjective evaluation. She does seem to have given the Doctor greater latitude in the navigation of the ship; it was a running theme in the franchise that the Doctor would select one place and land at another.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 12:43 PM   #260
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

With so many languages being spoken, maybe the Tardis needed to prioritizing which aliens needed to be translate in order to conserve resources or processing power?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 05:17 PM   #261
Worf2DS9
Writer

On 2nd viewing, what really bugs me is the lack of closure for Merry and the people on the asteroid, or whatever it was. Clara is successful with the leaf maneuver, then bam they're back in present day London, with the Doc mentioning that "all the people you saved" wanted Clara to have her ring back. Seems to me the usual "farewell scene" was missing, which would have had them saying goodbye to Merry, then the TARDIS would disappear in a swirl of dust, much to the delight of the little girl.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:45 PM   #262
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ Good points. I think giving the ring back was supposed to be shorthand storytelling to the effect that everything was resolved in a good manner. The rings were not disrupted by defeating Grandfather and they all lived happily ever after.

Still, it did feel rushed. The whole ending was weak.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 05:38 PM   #263
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Here's the epic Matt Smith Doctor speech of the season. He's certainly stacking them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuDGzIz2uMM

I'm still stunned by the song. It's very emotionally draining
Old April 11 2013, 07:02 PM   #264
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I agree that several of the problems w/this ep are related to rushing... not even mentioning the atmosphere or gravity questions and the quick wrap-up, for example. It's like they had to cut it down for time.

The question of the TARDIS not liking Clara is pretty obviously the most important thing going forward... I agree that it's not likely to be just a throwaway phrase. And River was never in the TARDIS while she was an active threat to the Doctor, only afterwards [and before, pre-natally]... but it's got to be more than just that she's a threat to him. Bad guys have gotten inside many times.

The TARDIS has frequently allowed multiple versions of the same person from different points in their timelines to be inside together, beyond even just the multi-Doctor occasions, so it's more than the different incarnations of Clara.

I still like my "Eternal Companion" idea.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 07:09 PM   #265
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Someone suggested that Clara's mom is an auton. The 9th doctor killed the nesstine consciousness on March 5 2005
which is the day Clara's mom died
Old April 12 2013, 12:21 AM   #266
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Someone suggested that Clara's mom is an auton. The 9th doctor killed the nesstine consciousness on March 5 2005
which is the day Clara's mom died
She did seem a bit heavy-handed with the makeup ....

Naaaah.

Although there were no details given on her mum's death ....

Naaaaaah.
Old April 12 2013, 06:12 AM   #267
Slugboy
Commodore

I don't think anyone else mentioned this, but I thought the actress who was cast to play Merry did a good job. She managed to hit the "adorable" target without overdoing it and becoming annoying, and gave a believable performance as a little girl who served as a vessel for her culture's history (as implausible as that idea is)

From a plot viewpoint, I can't figure out why Merry thought it was a good idea to pin Clara to the Mummy's display case using telekinesis (at least, that's what it looked like).

Also, I wondered if the wristband that the male Chorister activated was a teleportation device or some sort of suicide device.
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2013, 09:01 AM   #268
Starkers
Admiral

^I'd agree she was good, I'd also agree that what went on in that chamber could have done with being clearer!

Old April 12 2013, 09:35 AM   #269
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Doctor Who has had quite a lot of very talented child actors since 2005. It's impressive.
Old April 12 2013, 09:39 AM   #270
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah and it helps that Matt Smith works so well with them, it's hard to imagine Eccleston or even Tennant having such rapport.