TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 9 2013, 03:36 AM   #31
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: I am taking command of the fleet.

The fleet had probably been fighting the Borg for days before the Enterprise arrives. The battle had limped back to Earth's own doorstep, and countless how many ships have been left in the Cube's wake. The couple guys left are probably a small rabble compared to the fleet that actually engaged the Borg off-screen earlier in the battle. So they probably aren't likely to start picking nits when Enterprise (a ship which had been deliberately left clear from the conflict, so therefore probably in better battle condition than most of 'em by that point) flies in and takes the place of the destroyed flagship.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 09:40 AM   #32
Timo
Admiral

Agreed that the fight from Typhon sector to Earth may well have taken days. But if so, there would probably also have been time for Starfleet to send in reinforcements, and to keep organizing the battle so that the constant losses would not pose a problem in leadership...

Picard would have exploited a brief opportunity rather than an inevitable and permanent collapse of the chain of command, then.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 08:27 PM   #33
Grant
Fleet Captain

Back to the opening post.....

Wasn't it just a case of they were getting their butt kicked and Picard, one of their finest, (with a history of fighting the Borg) sounded like he knew what to do?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:01 AM   #34
Tom
Rear Admiral

Another reason that Starfleet may have want the enterprise kept away from the the battle is that it was the most advanced ship in the fleet and they would not want to the Borg to get there hands on it.
Old April 10 2013, 04:27 AM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Grant wrote: View Post

Wasn't it just a case of they were getting their butt kicked and Picard, one of their finest, (with a history of fighting the Borg) sounded like he knew what to do?
Exactly. I'm sure everyone recognized him, and were quite happy to yield command to a proven leader. They wouldn't blame him for being Locutus, because everyone knows that drones have no choice when they're assimilated. Not even Picard.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:55 PM   #36
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post

Exactly. I'm sure everyone recognized him, and were quite happy to yield command to a proven leader. They wouldn't blame him for being Locutus, because everyone knows that drones have no choice when they're assimilated. Not even Picard.
Boy they're sure lucky they just didn't use voice clips of him from when he was Locutus to patch together a message. "This is Captain Picard. Lower your shields. It will confuse the Borg targetting sensors."
Old April 11 2013, 07:24 PM   #37
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander

Timo wrote: View Post
Had some no-name with the correct rank pips shown up and claimed the right to command, it would have been an easy decision - better him than me, the skippers would think. But with Picard/Locutus, it's a choice between salvation by an expert Borg-fighter or assimilation in the hands of the most infamous traitor in recent history, except you can't really choose...

I wonder how many of those captains told their Tactical Officers to slave the weapons to commands from the Enterprise, and how many told them to clandestinely lock them onto her?

Timo Saloniemi
Why not both?

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Marcus Porcius Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2013, 11:45 PM   #38
MacLeod
Admiral

Though one could argue the case the Enterprise was responding to a distress call, during the audio of the battle, you hear a call for more ships. So the fleet or a ship within the fleet was sayiung we need help. Yes I know it's a stretch. Though as it turns out HQ was right about Picard becomming emotionally involved.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 08:06 PM   #39
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Williard wrote: View Post
The Badger wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
How come the weapons the Borg fire on the Phoenix compound are so wimpy? Same reason.
The Borg Sphere may not have been a combat vessel. Even if it was, it had just used up a lot of power travelling through time.

Captrek wrote: View Post
How come the Borg come to Earth and fight through 24th century Starfleet defenses before going back in time, instead of going back in time first and then going to Earth with nobody but 21st century defenses in their way?
There wouldn't be a story otherwise! But, my personal interpretation, the Borg want technology as well as assimilating species. Earth in the 24th century is a greater prize than Earth in the 21st. So they send a cube to assimilate Earth, and only when that fails do they attempt time travel, a back up plan so they get something rather than nothing.
If that is the case and Borg want to assimilate Earth 24th century technology so bad. Why sent one cube. Heck wouldnt it be better sent 2 or 3 cubes to assimilate Earth or just hold one cube at Federation border and if the Cubes fails their mission. Cube at the border would time traval back in time to prevent First Contact and sent message to Borg Collective.. Also Borg have Time Travel Technology to use whenever they want... They can try again and again until they suceed.
Why did the borg send 1 cube when it has millions?
Because assimilating the distant federation is very low on its list of priorities - as is obvious despite the federation's and some fans' preconceptions. 1 cube every few years is the limit of the resources it's willing to commit to federation assimilation.

Why doesn't the borg travel back in time in the delta quadrant? Because it'll miss out on all the technological goodies the federation accumulated in 400 years. If there's a chance it can get them in the 24th century, it won't waste this chance.
The borg only used time travel as a last resort in order to get something out of the resources it invested in an assimilation.

The question is: why doesn't the federation use time travel in order to erase the borg from existence by preventing their emergence?
Old April 13 2013, 08:26 PM   #40
yenny
Captain

The reason why Picard could take over the command of the fleet, is he had the rank of Fleet Captain and plus, the Enterprise is the flag ship of star fleet.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 09:09 PM   #41
MacLeod
Admiral

Picard doesn't have the rank of Fleet Captain, we've only ever seen one Fleet Captain in Star Trek and we have to go all the way back to S1 of TOS for that.

Now if the Ent-E is considered the flagship vessel, that might mean other Captain's might consider Picard as the most senior Captain, which is why they allowed him to take command of the fleet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 09:53 PM   #42
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
The question is: why doesn't the federation use time travel in order to erase the borg from existence by preventing their emergence?
1) Screwing around with the timeline can be risky so they probably don't want to risk making things actually worse.

2) They don't know exactly when and where the Borg first arose.

3) Even if they did have the necessary information its somewhere in the Delta Quadrant and it would take them decades to get there.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13 2013, 10:00 PM   #43
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Because time travel is a tricky thing and can sometimes be dangerous. It should never be used as an option unless all other weapons and options have been exhausted first. Even so, you might intend on changing one thing, but wind up changing countless other related things. Eliminating the Borg could remove them as a threat, but introduce an even worse adversary to the Federation that the Borg had originally eliminated (and as bad as the Borg are, they did wake the Federation up from a period of complacency that might have left them in a worse condition to face the Dominion, IMO).
Old April 13 2013, 10:46 PM   #44
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Time travel is 'risky', 'sometimes dangerous'?

The borg destroyed thousands of species, killed and assimilated TRILLIONS. It has cubes numbering in the millions, military technology far in advance of the federation.
It is THE military power in the galaxy - overwhelmingly superior to the federation. The federation has no realistic chance of ending it by any conventional means.

It makes time travel - and its attendant complications (any hypothetical, hand-waving, if-you-save-this-man-there-is-a-chance-he'll-become-Stalin adversary could not damage the federation more than the borg can - as in, utterly destroy it with ease; the dominion is a third rate bully by comparison; complacency - really?) look like the safest thing in the world.

Taking only decades - plus however long it takes to find their origin - for a realistic chance to end the borg is a true bargain.
Old April 14 2013, 04:48 AM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Now if the Ent-E is considered the flagship vessel, that might mean other Captain's might consider Picard as the most senior Captain, which is why they allowed him to take command of the fleet.
Like I said, the other captains allowed Picard to take command because they recognized his experience - both with the Borg and with pretty much everything else. Picard's record of service in Starfleet is well known. Everybody knows he's a good captain. So given that Starfleet was getting its ass kicked left and right, they were almost out of options. And then along comes Picard, who has years of experience with the Borg - something none of them have? Of course they're going to let him.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote