Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 10 2013, 01:01 AM   #76
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Borgminister wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
But then why did they program the nanites to take out all of a plane's systems except for its running lights so that you could just so happen to see them fall out of the sky at night when the blackout hit?
Meh, you're nitpicking. The Walking Dead is a great show and desipite that there are easy to nitpick inconsistent elements. e.g.

1. How is the grass mown at the prison?

2. How do they manage to keep the car they drive around clean all the time? Why would they bother to clean it?

The same kind of nitpicks we cal also find in Star Trek or any other show that uses plot devices to make the story compelling or visually exciting.
1. Vegetarian zombies.

2. Car wash zombies.

Not trying to derail a decent thread, but do zombies poop? They eat. Do their GI tracts still work? Cause if they do, damn! They must REALLY stink, providing no excuse for surprise appearances. If they don't, then are they literally full of shit?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:34 AM   #77
JD
Admiral

I really enjoyed this episode. Sure there are still things that don't make sense with the nanite explanation, but at least it's an explanation, which is more than a lot of shows give us this early. I thought the stuff with Neville, and Rachel and Charlie was good. I'm very curious to see exactly what is going to become of the Neville's now.
Old April 10 2013, 01:39 AM   #78
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

The nanites spread over the entire world in a matter of seconds? Do they move through warp space or something?
Old April 10 2013, 01:52 AM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

To work they need hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of these things floating in a specified target area.

What's the plan?

Drop a dcp10's worth of this stuff from a plane and then hope the wind doesn't blow in the wrong direction?

The only way this weapon is more effective than a ballistic missile is that if it is already everywhere.

It's then just a question of programming active and inactive zones.

Problem is, that this is invasion.

Quadtrillions of nanites (wrong word. These things are the size of dust particles) floating through China and North Korea choosing not to attack because America is feeling Generous?

Sure.

That'll go over real well.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:57 AM   #80
sojourner
Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
And individuals like you said that it would be perfectly reasonable once we learned the reasons behind it.
I'm not sure who these people "like me" are. as I was one of the first people to say "magic" in this thread.
Old April 10 2013, 03:26 AM   #81
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
(wrong word. These things are the size of dust particles)
No, they're more magical than that. They're "the size of a virus."

Which, despite having been widespread enough to wipe out all electrical systems in a few minutes, no one ever noticed. Not even the people who regularly look at things "the size of a virus."
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:11 AM   #82
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

And apparently they're smart enough not to stop the natural electrical signals that occur in human bodies (i.e. brain waves)...
Old April 10 2013, 05:26 AM   #83
Anwar
Vice Admiral

We had a thunderstorm earlier in the show. These things are designed to affect only artificially generated electricity.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:00 AM   #84
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

So, how is it that the pendants block them? Do they kill the little virus-bots? Do the little virus bots simply reproduce and overwhelm the pendants area of affect or what?

And Aaron had that pendant from the beginning. It took the baddie THAT long to finally track them down?
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:03 AM   #85
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

That's not that hard to interpret. The super-indestructible (they must be made out of pure nanitetanium!) amulets simply send out a command in the immediate area that tells them to stop, with the software needed being found on the flash drive itself.

Why it takes such a special amplifier to boost the signal, however... <shrugs> Not sure why they can't just copy the thumb drives either, but... it's all okay, yanno. Scientists!

Last edited by Mister Fandango; April 10 2013 at 06:20 AM.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:06 AM   #86
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

So, is there no static electricity when you walk across the carpet in your socks?
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 07:32 AM   #87
Borgminister

In the final analysis, this is a bad soap opera, and I'm finally done, although I've threatened that before.

At least The Following has some good creep factor going to accompany the tired cliches. The baddie is not an Anthony Hopkins, but given semi-decent material can be convincing.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 11:27 AM   #88
Marten
Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
We had a thunderstorm earlier in the show. These things are designed to affect only artificially generated electricity.
A thunderstorm works rougly the same as a battery, don't they? Electrons move from one side to the other. I could have bought it if there is a limit to the strength of the current the nanites allow, but the artificial electricity is just strange.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:33 PM   #89
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The nanites spread over the entire world in a matter of seconds? Do they move through warp space or something?
Meh. The nanites take over the Enterprise computer very quickly.

Oh and the 'black gue," in the film Promethius is able on a planetary scale to not only re-write the DNA of earth but also control natural selection.

It's a suspension of disbelief I can live with. Besides to paraphrase what someone once said, '...science you don't know or understand will appear like magic.'
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:38 PM   #90
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
In the final analysis, this is a bad soap opera, and I'm finally done, although I've threatened that before.

At least The Following has some good creep factor going to accompany the tired cliches. The baddie is not an Anthony Hopkins, but given semi-decent material can be convincing.
Well, Falling Skies will be back on soon which is also 'bad soap opera,' and lets face it Borgminister, there just ain't that much even medicore TV that's sci-fi/fantasy based on right now to watch.

I'll take Revolution over watching ST reruns.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote