Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 10 2013, 12:20 AM   #1
BlueStuff
Rear Admiral

Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Just out of curiosity. Who was the Wesley Crusher of DS9? This show has many beloved characters but who did fans dislike?
BlueStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Re: Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

I didn't hate anyone on DS9. I wasn't keen on Sisko and Jake at first, but I grew to like them.

I saved my hate for Janeway and Tuvok !
Old April 10 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
flemm
Fleet Captain

BlueStuff wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity. Who was the Wesley Crusher of DS9? This show has many beloved characters but who did fans dislike?
I'm not sure that it's really comparable to Wesley, but I think Bashir was the character that tended to register as least popular among the regular cast while the show was on the air.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:26 AM   #4
HGN2001
Commander

I didn't really "hate" any character, nor even dislike. I remember the mentions of fans' disfavor of Julian, but that was even echoed in the storyline.

I did come to not look forward to shows centered around Quark and the Ferengi stories, but even they had their moments.

Jake was never an irritant like Wesley was in those first-season episodes. Sisko took some getting used to, but he turned out just fine.

Early on, I had a hard time grabbing onto all of the Bajoran religion mumbo jumbo, but again, after awhile, it turned out just fine and added a lot to the overall story.

Harry
HGN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:56 AM   #5
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

I am almost done Season 2, but so far I do not hate any of the characters.

Sometimes it seems like Sisko can be a bit monotone-sounding at times, but he is certainly not a bad commander and he seems to be a good father and all that. He could use a little more...zing? But all in all, I do not dislike him or anyone.

This would be my pecking order from fave to least fave (only judging on Seasons 1 and 2 though!)
-Odo
-O'Brien
-Kira
-Quark
-Garak (Dude should have gotten more screen time. He's awesome.)
-Bashir
-Sisko
-Dax (I haven't gotten to any episodes with Ezri Dax, but so far I like Jadzia. I am sad to hear she will be killed... )
-Jake (Er...I have nothing against him...he's just not a main focus of many episodes so far lol.)

I guess Nog...I don't like that much. And O'Brien's wife is a little one-dimensional although their baby is ADORABLE.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 03:33 AM   #6
t_smitts
Commander

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I guess Nog...I don't like that much.
I won't spoil it for you, but there's a BIG change for Nog in season 3 that'll probably surprise you, but I think worked really well.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:12 AM   #7
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

BlueStuff wrote: View Post
Some may have started out with a funky character concept, but I think everyone except O'Brien's personality changed before the end of the series.

I found both Rom and Leeta a bit annoying right up 'til the end, even though the Ferengi shows were always funny. Rom's personality after season 3 always made me think of Gilligan from Gilligan's Island. Sometimes funny, sometimes just odd.

Worf needed to lighten up. Some of the episodes leading up to the marriage were very annoying. Even General Martok pointed it out.
Old April 10 2013, 04:16 AM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I would have guessed Rom, or maybe Bashir.

Plus at the very beginning a lot of people probably hated Kira.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:18 AM   #9
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

t_smitts wrote: View Post
I guess Nog...I don't like that much.
I won't spoil it for you, but there's a BIG change for Nog in season 3 that'll probably surprise you, but I think worked really well.
Ooo cool. I'm almost at Season 3 actually.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old April 10 2013, 04:32 AM   #10
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Rom and Nog were my least favorites at the beginning, because it was like a double act of dumbasses. Either they mellowed or I did. Ferengi Three Stooges might have been interesting, though that usually happened any time more than 2 Ferengi were in a scene.
Old April 10 2013, 04:45 AM   #11
Shanndee
Commodore

Bashir annoyed me to no end, even after he and O'Brien became friends! (Although their friendship was one of my favourite relationships on the series).

This will be unpopular, but the character I resented the most was Ezri Dax. I felt they wasted too much time on a new character when they had really important plots to tie up by the end of the series. I won't say any more so as not to spoil Captain Kathryn!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Rom and Nog were my least favorites at the beginning, because it was like a double act of dumbasses. Either they mellowed or I did. Ferengi Three Stooges might have been interesting, though that usually happened any time more than 2 Ferengi were in a scene.
Yeah, but I have a soft spot for the Ferengi. They make for good humor and Quark definitely helped Odo all those times without meaning to.

But yeah the fact that Quark was the most intelligent out of the threesome of Ferengi was kind of troubling haha.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old April 10 2013, 04:52 AM   #13
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Bashir annoyed me to no end, even after he and O'Brien became friends! (Although their friendship was one of my favourite relationships on the series).

This will be unpopular, but the character I resented the most was Ezri Dax. I felt they wasted too much time on a new character when they had really important plots to tie up by the end of the series. I won't say any more so as not to spoil Captain Kathryn!
Sorry!

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old April 10 2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

blah. . .bla-blah-blah. . .
Yeah, but I have a soft spot for the Ferengi. They make for good humor and Quark definitely helped Odo all those times without meaning to.

But yeah the fact that Quark was the most intelligent out of the threesome of Ferengi was kind of troubling haha.
Quark = Moe, Nog = Larry, Rom = Curly
Old April 10 2013, 04:57 AM   #15
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

blah. . .bla-blah-blah. . .

Quark = Moe, Nog = Larry, Rom = Curly

Dead Lazlo's Place