Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 9 2013, 11:51 PM   #166
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Matt Smith doing an impressive stunt!

The closing of The Mill has had quite an impact on production.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 12:12 AM   #167
diankra
Commodore

StCoop wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Would you be as bothered if it were just another RTD episode?
No, because he respects all of the series history and would have lived up to the job.
Oh, and I though that Tory peeress yesterday who said "Mrs Thatcher had a universal appeal" was the funniest thing I'd hear all week...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 12:44 AM   #168
StCoop
Commodore

diankra wrote: View Post
Oh, and I though that Tory peeress yesterday who said "Mrs Thatcher had a universal appeal" was the funniest thing I'd hear all week...
You need to get out more.

Moffat treats the Original Series as an embarassment to be apologised for. Hardly the qualifications needed to celebrate it, are they?
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:27 AM   #169
Iamnotspock
Captain

Moffat treats the Original Series as an embarassment to be apologised for. Hardly the qualifications needed to celebrate it, are they?
Ah, this is the Steven Moffat who was inspired to write by Doctor Who, who brought back the Ice Warriors, Silurians and Peter Davison's Doctor, and said "I hate this orthodoxy that Doctor Who suddenly became good in 2005 - that's not true. I didn't fall in love with that show because it was rubbish - it was because it was brilliant" is it?
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:32 AM   #170
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Moffat treats the Original Series as an embarrassment to be apologized for. Hardly the qualifications needed to celebrate it, are they?

You can just hear the gears turning

"I wish this story was more complicated and the doctor had to save a little girl"
Old April 10 2013, 01:54 AM   #171
davejames
Vice Admiral

Personally I'd rather see a Moffat 50th anniversary special than a RTD one. I was a big fan of the RTD era, but his big finales were usually ridiculously over the top and frenetic, with way too much pointless running around.

Moffat's story, whatever it is, is bound to be much more clever and unique.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 02:46 AM   #172
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It has been awhile since we saw the kitchen sink

Old April 10 2013, 02:52 AM   #173
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Honestly if it were up to me, I'd get RTD back as Producer, with Moffat doing stories. That seemed to yield the best results.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 01:40 PM   #174
Starkers
Admiral

I realise this is a fake, but it's still nicely done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8g5BrLm7uQ

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 02:16 PM   #175
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Both RTD and Moffat are respectful of the classic series. Moffat is a fan of the series as well, so I trust that he has the best interest of the series in mind. Generally, I think he's doing a great job. He's certainly included many elements of the classic series.

So, if he doesn't include a classic Doctor, I don't think it's out of spite for the classic series. I'd disagree with the decision but, well, you can't agree 100% with anybody!!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 02:59 PM   #176
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
It has been awhile since we saw the kitchen sink

We are still waiting for J. Edgar Hoover.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 05:38 PM   #177
Zeppster
Commodore

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
And the Doctor is 900 years old.

Mark
Actually it's over 1100 years old if you are to believe the line from the first episode of last series that he was over 1100 years old just before he got shot.

As far as arguing over having more doctors or more former companions. It would be real easy to get a convoluted story with too many people in it. So I would understand a few relatively recent companions and 2 doctors and nods to the past doctors instead. A more expansive reunion story is something that Big Finish can do and they have proven to do those fairly well in their format.

But even in the classic format it was hard to really do good reunion stories. The only one that really worked well was the Three Doctors which was really only 2 doctors. Even the 5 Doctors was really only 3 of them with a ton of padding.
Old April 10 2013, 06:12 PM   #178
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Zeppster wrote: View Post
Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
And the Doctor is 900 years old.

Mark
Actually it's over 1100 years old if you are to believe the line from the first episode of last series that he was over 1100 years old just before he got shot.

As far as arguing over having more doctors or more former companions. It would be real easy to get a convoluted story with too many people in it. So I would understand a few relatively recent companions and 2 doctors and nods to the past doctors instead. A more expansive reunion story is something that Big Finish can do and they have proven to do those fairly well in their format.

But even in the classic format it was hard to really do good reunion stories. The only one that really worked well was the Three Doctors which was really only 2 doctors. Even the 5 Doctors was really only 3 of them with a ton of padding.
Who are you leaving out of The Five Doctors? Hurndall, Troughton and Pertwee all had quite a bit of screen time, it was only Baker who was left out, so, we actually had 4 active Doctors in The Five Doctors

I do wish they had devoted a few episodes to the Anniversary, and had a classicDoctor or two in each episode, because yea, with only an hour long special, it would get very crowded with 3 or more Doctors.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:43 PM   #179
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ So, that suggests multiple issues. Although, I think even a 60 minute story can have 3 main characters (Smith, Tennant, and a classic Doctor). That's not too many. Throw in 3 supporting companions, and that's still OK. Many 60 minute shows will have that many characters without a problem.

However, the 50th should've been 90 minutes.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:47 PM   #180
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Oh, I dunno. Lots and lots of episodes get along just fine with the Doctor, the Companion, and the Villain all eating up screen time. In this special, I'd be more worried about Clara being marginalized and Rose being set dressing.

Also, you could argue that re-telling most Classic stories in the current format would take half the time, so four 30-minute episodes could be told in an hour. As such, there should be PLENTY of time in this 90-mintue episode to have Doctors 8-11 and plenty of fun, IMO. Alas, not to be...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote