RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 434
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old April 1 2013, 07:24 PM   #241
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

If I play in single player mode, isn't my PC playing the other character? I am very unlikely to buy this game if I need to have an Internet connect up.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2013, 08:06 PM   #242
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
If I play in single player mode, isn't my PC playing the other character? I am very unlikely to buy this game if I need to have an Internet connect up.
That's how most co-op titles handle singleplayer. The quality of the AI varies between games, but I did read one article that says the AI for the non-player character is fairly good.
Old April 7 2013, 08:39 PM   #243
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Ok, so i won't be forced to play with somebody else. can't wait.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 12:45 AM   #244
bullethead
Fleet Captain

GMG has a 25% off PC preorders, including Star Trek.
Old April 8 2013, 12:52 PM   #245
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

At last a hands on review from somebody.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...t-impressions/

Still on the fence with this game though.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:30 PM   #246
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I have decided to wait a while until affer the pc game is out.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:20 PM   #247
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^^I am not expecting a A:CM type senario for the game, but i suspect it to simply be a mediocre FPS wrapped in a Trek skin at this stage, and even though its Trek i dont need another £40 mediocre FPS sitting on my shelf. lol

But it's telling that with only two weeks to go no offical reviews from any gaming sites of the final retail product which they must have got weeks ago has appeared, i assume that's because of a review embargo, i hate these things, a very dubious practice this review embargo stuff.

But yeah at this stage i will skip pre-order, i can wait two weeks now to see what's what, fingers crossed i am just being overly-cautious due to A:CM.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:57 PM   #248
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
But it's telling that with only two weeks to go no offical reviews from any gaming sites of the final retail product which they must have got weeks ago has appeared, i assume that's because of a review embargo, i hate these things, a very dubious practice this review embargo stuff.
That's not telling, that's standard practice. "Telling" is when it's the morning of release and they still haven't appeared (which means the devs didn't send the game out to be reviewed).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:35 PM   #249
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

The one review we have looks promising to me, but i waited for this since Elite Force 2.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 04:26 PM   #250
22 Stars
Commodore

We should also remember that faulting the game for having some graphics about a year out of date isn't their fault. The game is a tie-in to the movie, and the movie was supposed to/could have been released 6 months to a year ago.

No word on the Move accessory? Shame it was dropped if for no other reason than a cool toy.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 05:15 PM   #251
bullethead
Fleet Captain

22 Stars wrote: View Post
We should also remember that faulting the game for having some graphics about a year out of date isn't their fault. The game is a tie-in to the movie, and the movie was supposed to/could have been released 6 months to a year ago.
I think there's a better explanation for the graphics: the Asian market. Gamasutra recently posted a bunch of hardware statistics from Unity (a game engine provider) that point to 48% of the PC market using Windows XP, mostly in Asia. This game, like STID, seems to be aiming for a more international market and using tech that would alienate such a big chunk of gamers in a market would be a bad idea. However, that means the developers can't use newer versions of DirectX, limiting what they can do with the graphics.
Old April 9 2013, 07:18 PM   #252
22 Stars
Commodore

It would be interesting to hear the comments from the developers after the game is released. I personally think that the story is what matters, look at all the people clammoring for the 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rights games. Those were fun for the story, and most games live or die by that.

I think this game looks great, even if it doesn't set a new standard.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 09:14 PM   #253
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I wonder if we're going to get a demo prior to release?
Old April 9 2013, 09:26 PM   #254
ATimson
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
That would be nice. I doubt it.

I can't find the article now, which is annoying (I think it was on Gamasutra?), but apparently games sell better when there's not a prerelease demo (since you don't get people who play the demo, and go "itch scratched", and then don't buy the full product).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 10:13 PM   #255
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
That would be nice. I doubt it.

I can't find the article now, which is annoying (I think it was on Gamasutra?), but apparently games sell better when there's not a prerelease demo (since you don't get people who play the demo, and go "itch scratched", and then don't buy the full product).
Well, they already have my money!