Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"
Geronimo! 15 11.72%
Good 50 39.06%
Average 36 28.13%
Bad 18 14.06%
Terrible 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9 2013, 02:32 AM   #226
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: 7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I personally assume it starts two years later, when she actually started travelling with him.
Old April 9 2013, 02:35 AM   #227
RoJoHen
Awesome

Okay, and what year would that be then? What year is it when he meets 7-year old Amelia? What year is Prisonor Zero? There's also the two years that the Doctor was "dead" between The Wedding of River Song and The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe. Amy and Rory skipped ahead a lot. I've never really bothered to actually trace their timeline.

I mean, it doesn't necessarily matter as far as Clara goes. The Doctor could have picked her up from any old time, but I wonder if he would avoid years where he knows the Ponds are still alive and kicking.
Old April 9 2013, 02:52 AM   #228
The Wormhole
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Okay, and what year would that be then? What year is it when he meets 7-year old Amelia? What year is Prisonor Zero? There's also the two years that the Doctor was "dead" between The Wedding of River Song and The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe. Amy and Rory skipped ahead a lot. I've never really bothered to actually trace their timeline.
Season 5 is definitely 2010. The date of Amy and Rory's wedding (which Amy left with the Doctor the night before) was stated on screen to be June 26, 2010. Meaning Prisoner Zero was in 2008, and the Doctor met 7 year old Amelia in 1996 (twelve years prior to Prisoner Zero).

Season 6 is set in 2011 (stated on screen) meaning in The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe the Doctor meets the Ponds on Christmas 2013. Asylum of the Daleks is presumably in 2014, let's say September since that's the month it aired. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is ten months later, making it July 2015. The Power of Three is set from July of one year, to July of the next. I assumed that it began July 2015, to add some consistency, and therefore it ends in July 2016.
Old April 9 2013, 04:08 AM   #229
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Emh wrote: View Post
Redfern wrote: View Post
Who else thought the Doctor might have stumbled away from his encounter with the celestial body partially amnesiac? When the Doctor hints about the terrible secrets he knows, he then challenges the entity to "take them all". I wondered if the being might have interpreted the Doctor's words a bit too literally and not simply "listened" but "drained" those memories. We could have ended up with a Doctor almost as clueless about his past as we, the audience" have been these nearly 50 years.
Yup, I definitely thought that was going to happen and I was ready to be all pissed off.
I was also wondering if they'd go that route... glad they didn't, though he still could have lost some memories.
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 04:36 AM   #230
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Been thinking things over, got a nitpick. Clara's age. Last week, it's implied she's 24 (the most recent age printed in her book). This week it's implied she was 11 when her mother died (most recent age when standing in the cemetery).

So now we got a problem, when is Clara supposed to be from? Since her mother died in 2005, and assuming Clara is meant to be from 2013, that would mean she should have been 16 in 2005. Interestingly enough, 16 is one of the ages (along with 23) that have been skipped over in her book (which some are specualting could be significant). On the other hand, if she were indeed 11 in 2005, than in order to be 24 she would be from 2018 which is consistent with all the leapfrogging through the modern years done throughout the first half of the season. Indeed, by time of their departure, Amy and Rory should have been from 2016 or so, even though that episode has 2012 spoken many times.

Thoughts?
Ah! I see where you got mixed up. The book originally belonged to Clara's mother, and it was she who wrote "Property of Elle Ravenwood aged 11" into the first page. Clara's list of ages is on the next page.
Old April 9 2013, 01:58 PM   #231
The Wormhole
Admiral

So, in other words, Clara probably was 16 when her mother died in 2005 and therefore is from 2013? Makes sense.
Old April 9 2013, 02:51 PM   #232
Psion
Commodore

But I agree with the notion that the Ponds, towards the end, were likely from the future and only visiting 2012 in "Angels ...." Whether that was the show's intent is another issue. I bet the writers let that one get away from them.
Old April 9 2013, 06:19 PM   #233
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Did i see this wrong or was she not understanding the alien language, i thought the tardis automatically translated all alien languages for anybody who travelled in it.

Or have i got this wrong.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 06:21 PM   #234
RoJoHen
Awesome

Nope, you've got that right. I was wondering the same thing.

I wonder if it was intentional, or if Moffat just wasn't thinking. If intentional, it could go along with the "I don't think it likes me" comment that Clara made about the TARDIS.
Old April 9 2013, 06:26 PM   #235
Neroon
Mod of balance

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Did i see this wrong or was she not understanding the alien language, i thought the tardis automatically translated all alien languages for anybody who travelled in it.

Remember that Clara felt the TARDIS didn't like her, as it wouldn't let her back inside.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 06:32 PM   #236
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I thought it didn't let her back inside because SHE DIDN'T HAVE A KEY and the door was locked. No one gets in without a key, except maybe the Doctor (oh snap).

I think Clara saying the Tardis didn't like her was for Merry's to make light of the situation.
Old April 9 2013, 06:33 PM   #237
RoJoHen
Awesome

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
I thought it didn't let her back inside because SHE DIDN'T HAVE A KEY and the door was locked. No one gets in without a key, except maybe the Doctor (oh snap).
Sure, but writers don't just throw random dialogue in for no reason. Clara could have easily said, "It's locked!" instead of "I don't think it likes me."

Given the little that we know about Clara, it's quite possible that she is some kind of temporal paradox. The TARDIS hates those.
Old April 9 2013, 06:36 PM   #238
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I think Clara saying the Tardis didn't like her was for Merry to make light of the situation.
Old April 9 2013, 06:37 PM   #239
RoJoHen
Awesome

Time will tell.
Old April 9 2013, 08:19 PM   #240
Psion
Commodore

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post

Yep, I noticed this too.

It could be deliberate, or it could be down to forgetful continuity. We'll have to wait and see. It's a Russian sub, this week, isn't it? There should be confirmation there.