Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 8 2013, 09:46 AM   #31
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Paul McGann special year possible?

The trouble arises if the stop gap proves more popular than the current incumbant? What would have happened if Tennant went off to do Hamlet and while he was gone everyone loved McGann more? Plus to the majority of viewers you're effectively introducing McGann as a brand new Doctor, but then saying he's only going to be around for a few episodes before Tennant/Smith returns.

Doing prequels is fine if you don't have anywhere to take the characters on going forward, but Who has that, you just change Doctor.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:13 AM   #32
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, I think I may have raised the point about the popularity of the stopgap in my earlier post in the thread. And you're right about the 'going forward' point too - the LOTSW and OFAH prequels were made as the ageing and/or expensive casts of the originals meant limited shelf lives for them.

I do think that the prospect raised by this thread is unlikely in the extreme. But then again, Who has shown that almost anything is possible.
Old April 8 2013, 10:37 AM   #33
Starkers
Admiral

This is very true.

Old April 8 2013, 01:53 PM   #34
The Wormhole
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Probably the best opportunity would have been,as Christopher suggested, when Tennant was doing stagework, as a sort of stopgap.
The misconception everyone seems to have is that Tennant's Shakespeare thing was the reason for the "gap year" in 2009. RTD had in fact planned during production of the second season to take a break after the fourth season. Tennant was made aware of these plans and arranged the Shakespeare thing because he knew he had a free year coming up. In fact, RTD says that had he stayed with the show there would have been a gap year after every fourth season.
Old April 8 2013, 02:11 PM   #35
Starkers
Admiral

I think the gap year was in theory a good idea, I just think the execution was poor, the specials just seemed to be scattered willy-nilly, I'd have rather had a five concecutive day run like Torchwood COE.

Old April 8 2013, 02:27 PM   #36
diankra
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
I think the gap year was in theory a good idea, I just think the execution was poor, the specials just seemed to be scattered willy-nilly, I'd have rather had a five concecutive day run like Torchwood COE.
In hindsight, the gap year was arguably a very bad idea - they had trouble getting funding for the specials, it damaged the income from tie-in sales (Character Options' profits slumped), may have broken the viewing habit among children, lost the show momentum in the overseas markets, and more...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 02:56 PM   #37
Starkers
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
In hindsight, the gap year was arguably a very bad idea - they had trouble getting funding for the specials, it damaged the income from tie-in sales (Character Options' profits slumped), may have broken the viewing habit among children, lost the show momentum in the overseas markets, and more...
I can't disagree with that, but I still wonder if it had been handled better those downsides could have been avoided, and I certainly think RTD had a good point, to give the show a breather every x-years to try and keep it fresh.

Old April 8 2013, 03:58 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

^Simple enough -- just bring in a different producer to handle the off-year fill-in series. The difference in perspectives would've itself helped keep things creatively fresh.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #39
The Wormhole
Admiral

Personally, I'm not a fan of the five night event that Children of Earth was. Though that's primarily because the week that aired was the worse possible week for me to be staying up to watch TV every night. Hell, the whole ordeal soured my opinion of COE to the point that it wasn't until I rewatched it on DVD last year (or rather very late 2011) that I actually saw why everyone praises it.

But, yeah, I agree the way the DW specials were aired was kind of sloppy. Planet of the Dead in April, then nothing until November. I'd have had the specials spaced a lot more even. Say one in spring, another in summer, another in fall, and then the Christmas special.

diankra wrote: View Post
I don't know about overseas markets. At the very least, it was in 2009, starting with The Next Doctor that the show moved to BBC America in the US, and Space in Canada. A move that has done much to raise the popularity of the show in both countries. Granted, much of that is probably more a by-product of Smith starting a year later, but still.

Last edited by The Wormhole; April 9 2013 at 01:54 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:36 AM   #40
Christopher
Writer

I liked the way Children of Earth was presented. It was a story that covered five days, one day per episode, and it was aired over five days, so it was more or less in real time, which was interesting. And it made it more intense than if it were spread out over five weeks.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 09:51 AM   #41
Starkers
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
But, yeah, I agree the way the DW specials were aired was kind of sloppy. Planet of the Dead in April, then nothing until November. I'd have had the specials spaced a lot more even. Say one in spring, another in summer, another in fall, and then the Christmas special.
Yeah and they're not linked together. I don't know how viable it would have been but I'd have scaled them back to 45 minutes and tried to squeeze a third one in the middle, there's really no reason why either ep is an hour long, both are v padded. I'd have had Cristina go with the Doctor at the end of PotD, but then I'd have had something bad happen to her in the new middle episode, which then leads into WoM and gives added impetus to the whole Timelord Victorious malarky.

Old April 9 2013, 12:19 PM   #42
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I'd have had Cristina go with the Doctor at the end of PotD, but then I'd have had something bad happen to her in the new middle episode, which then leads into WoM and gives added impetus to the whole Timelord Victorious malarky.
I also would have had Christina go with the Doctor at the end of "Planet of the Dead," and then when they visit Bowie Base One she gets infected by the water. This would make the Doctor feel especially helpless (he can't save Christina, he can't save the base), and that's what kicks him over into Time Lord Victorious mode.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:55 PM   #43
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah that would have worked and you wouldn't have needed a middle episode!

Old April 9 2013, 02:25 PM   #44
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I liked the way Children of Earth was presented. It was a story that covered five days, one day per episode, and it was aired over five days, so it was more or less in real time, which was interesting. And it made it more intense than if it were spread out over five weeks.
The BBC does this not infrequently, but it's usually with more mainstream fare, such as crime dramas. IIRC, this was the first time they did it with a sci-fi series, certainly the first that I remember.

And yes, the premise of COE was helped greatly by this airing.
Old May 5 2013, 12:08 AM   #45
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I'd have had Cristina go with the Doctor at the end of PotD, but then I'd have had something bad happen to her in the new middle episode, which then leads into WoM and gives added impetus to the whole Timelord Victorious malarky.
I also would have had Christina go with the Doctor at the end of "Planet of the Dead," and then when they visit Bowie Base One she gets infected by the water. This would make the Doctor feel especially helpless (he can't save Christina, he can't save the base), and that's what kicks him over into Time Lord Victorious mode.
Yeah, thats a good idea. Although annother good idea would be to have her depart at the end of time after the doctor regenerates ad she's scared off or something. Or I'd have just given him a new permanent companion which would have gone onto the post Tennant era. Maybe have Amy Pond introduced after the xmas special.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote