RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,747
Posts: 5,433,198
Members: 24,838
Currently online: 466
Newest member: Mei'konda

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 9 2013, 02:59 AM   #136
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Tom wrote: View Post
Even some of the specials like BBCA's The companions di not feature any companions before 2005, they only talked about Sarah Jane because she was in the new show also.
And sometimes, those BBCA specials only dwell on stuff that's happened since Moffat took over. Specifically, when they first started doing those specials in 2011 when Moffat's run only had 21 episodes.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:05 AM   #137
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

I hate that the specials are like that. Even the ones that look back on the past Doctors seem to only include interviews from the current cast and crew. You think they'd be able to dig up some people that were affiliated with the show back then.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:12 AM   #138
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

I refuse to believe that the original actors aren't returning until I've actually seen the special. And if they don't show up hopefully it'll be so good that it won't matter.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:17 AM   #139
Nightowl1701
Commander
 
Location: Orlando, FL
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Tom wrote: View Post
I hate the current production crew, fuckers, no respect for the 26 of the 34 broadcasting years of Doctor Who. So none of the '20th century' doctors were even approached, that means that they never planned to include them at all. The 50th only comes once, and its wasted on fans who also like the classic series.

Even some of the specials like BBCA's The companions di not feature any companions before 2005, they only talked about Sarah Jane because she was in the new show also.
They honestly may not have a choice in the matter. Auntie Beeb may be telling them "This is all we're giving you budget-wise. You want all these old actors, they'd better be willing to work for free. Otherwise, sod 'em."

Honestly, you think Paramount treats Star Trek with disrespect sometimes...
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:17 AM   #140
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS
 
Emh's Avatar
 
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

It sucks (especially no McGann), but at least we have Big Finish's The Light at the End.
__________________
"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith [is] an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture." - Lynne M. Thomas

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 09:42 AM   #141
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

StCoop wrote: View Post
So does Moffat not actually remember that TPO3 took place well after 2013?

I have to say nothing I've seen or heard yet says 50th Anniversary. Might as well call it an 8th Anniversary Special. Actually 7th, since Eccleston turned it down.
Zygons? Seriously I know you'll say you don't think they'll be in it much, but they will still be in it, and they are classic era monsters, so clearly there is at least one element of the classic series in this special.

Emh wrote: View Post
Good to see Kate Stewart is returning but I still wish it could have been The Brig.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Of course, as I've said elsewhere, Matt Smith said to Jonathan Ross, when asked to describe this story in one word, 'pictures.' That could mean we'll see pictures of the older Doctors. But I can't help wondering if there'll be some sort of Dorian Gray aspect to the story. Portraits, probably holographic, of the earlier Doctors in the TARDIS, which age, even as the incumbent remains young and vital. Could this be a way of having Tom, Peter and Colin back on board?
I like that idea a lot.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Even if Ten/Eleven is all we get from an actual Doctor perspective, I'm still hoping we might get a classic companion. There'd certainly be no issues over them looking too old because most of them didn't die, they just left the Tardis, so it doesn't matter that Ace/Leela/Tegan/Turlough or whoever look older/fatter/thinner/greyer, whatever.

I think it's a given that, were she still with us, Elisabeth Sladen would have been in this
We definitely need a few classic companions in this special in some form (and I agree Elisabeth Sladen would have been one of them).

I keep saying this and I will continue to do so until I'm blue in the face: If no other companion actor returns, William Russell absolutely must return. They already have him lined up for a cameo in the biopic.
I think a cameo in the biopic is probably all we're going to get, but that's still good!

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I refuse to believe that the original actors aren't returning until I've actually seen the special. And if they don't show up hopefully it'll be so good that it won't matter.
Well said.

I think the other issue to consider here is that just because no classic Doctor has been approached to be in the episode it doesn't mean they won't be in it. I mean, Shatner and co weren't approahced to be in Trials and Tribbleations either.

And it isn't like Moffat has completely ignored past Doctors. He showed them all in the Eleventh Hour, had Smith using the first Doctor's library card, heck we even got mention of a grand daughter last week!
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:31 PM   #142
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Emh wrote: View Post
Good to see Kate Stewart is returning but I still wish it could have been The Brig.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Of course, as I've said elsewhere, Matt Smith said to Jonathan Ross, when asked to describe this story in one word, 'pictures.' That could mean we'll see pictures of the older Doctors. But I can't help wondering if there'll be some sort of Dorian Gray aspect to the story. Portraits, probably holographic, of the earlier Doctors in the TARDIS, which age, even as the incumbent remains young and vital. Could this be a way of having Tom, Peter and Colin back on board?
I like that idea a lot.
Thank you. I'm sure it's hopelessly wild of the mark but I hope that it has some accuracy to it.

The story doesn't seem to be the most detailed, nor is it entirely clear when he made these quotes, so I'm not letting it dash my hopes. Anyway, wasn't it only a few weeks ago that Billie Piper was saying she hadn't been asked?
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:31 PM   #143
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Matt Smith doing an impressive stunt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGRY...layer_embedded



Dialog overheard











http://scottkandrews.com/

I love the paparazzi "conversation"

Pap 1: Thing is, I f***ing hate Doctor Who. F***ing rubbish.
Wouldn’t f***ing watch it if you f***ing paid me.
Pap 2: The bird’s nice looking though.
Pap1: Yeah. (Pointing at smiley guard) He’s a funny c*** inne.
Pap 2: Yeah, weird c***.
Pap 1: (Addressing smiley guard) Oi! You shouldn’t let this lot in here
(indicates public). Should just be paps.
Smiley guard: (Smiling) Well, your photos aren’t gonna be worth nothing once this lot have put theirs up on Twitter. (Wanders off smiling).
BURN!

Last edited by Samurai8472; April 9 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:18 PM   #144
StCoop
Commodore
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Starkers wrote: View Post
Zygons? Seriously I know you'll say you don't think they'll be in it much, but they will still be in it, and they are classic era monsters, so clearly there is at least one element of the classic series in this special.
Not much different from the episode that will air this Saturday.

I think the other issue to consider here is that just because no classic Doctor has been approached to be in the episode it doesn't mean they won't be in it. I mean, Shatner and co weren't approahced to be in Trials and Tribbleations either.

And it isn't like Moffat has completely ignored past Doctors. He showed them all in the Eleventh Hour, had Smith using the first Doctor's library card, heck we even got mention of a grand daughter last week!
It's the 50th Anniversary, not just another regular episode. I'm no advocate of an hour of cameos but there should be something more than, say, having someone wear Tom Baker's scarf* to acknowledge the contribution of the people involved in the first 42 years of the series. And no, old clips aren't good enough either.

*
StCoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:31 PM   #145
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

^^ Agree, we should have a bona fide classic Doctor in the story. Doesn't have to be all of them. Just so they're represented. The 50th comes just once.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:38 PM   #146
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore
 
EliyahuQeoni's Avatar
 
Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

It would be nice to have one or more of the surviving classic Doctors in the special, but I don't think its a deal breaker. I've been a fan for close to 25 years and I'm willing to judge the special on what it is, not what I wanted it to be.
__________________
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:41 PM   #147
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Yup. I'd love it if Peter Davison popped out of the Tardis with Smith and Tennant but I'm not going to hate it before I even see it just because he doesn't.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:46 PM   #148
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

StCoop wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Zygons? Seriously I know you'll say you don't think they'll be in it much, but they will still be in it, and they are classic era monsters, so clearly there is at least one element of the classic series in this special.
Not much different from the episode that will air this Saturday.

I think the other issue to consider here is that just because no classic Doctor has been approached to be in the episode it doesn't mean they won't be in it. I mean, Shatner and co weren't approahced to be in Trials and Tribbleations either.

And it isn't like Moffat has completely ignored past Doctors. He showed them all in the Eleventh Hour, had Smith using the first Doctor's library card, heck we even got mention of a grand daughter last week!
It's the 50th Anniversary, not just another regular episode. I'm no advocate of an hour of cameos but there should be something more than, say, having someone wear Tom Baker's scarf* to acknowledge the contribution of the people involved in the first 42 years of the series. And no, old clips aren't good enough either.

*
So Trials and Tribblelations isn't a great celebration of 30 years of Trek? And in fact isn't a far more loving and enjoyable celebration of Trek than Flashback, despite the fact Flashback actually had Sulu and Rand in it whilst all Trials had was old existing footage?

Execution is everything and I'd rather have something that was great but didn't have classic Docs in than something that shoehorned them all in but was rubbish.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:57 PM   #149
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

StCoop wrote: View Post

It's the 50th Anniversary, not just another regular episode. I'm no advocate of an hour of cameos but there should be something more than, say, having someone wear Tom Baker's scarf* to acknowledge the contribution of the people involved in the first 42 years of the series. And no, old clips aren't good enough either.

*
Would you settle for paintings?
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 04:00 PM   #150
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
It would be nice to have one or more of the surviving classic Doctors in the special, but I don't think its a deal breaker. I've been a fan for close to 25 years and I'm willing to judge the special on what it is, not what I wanted it to be.
Starkers wrote: View Post
Yup. I'd love it if Peter Davison popped out of the Tardis with Smith and Tennant but I'm not going to hate it before I even see it just because he doesn't.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is talking about hating it before even seeing it, so that's a red herring. At least, I'm not. And, it may be a great story without any classic Doctors. However, I'd still hope for at least one to be included in some fashion. Not just a scarf or old clips.

In short, a great story with a classic Doctor would be even better than a great story without a classic Doctor because it IS the 50th Anniversary.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.