To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old April 7 2013, 05:22 PM   #31
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: Original Phaser Rifle Prop Found!

Holy Cow. Holy Cow. Holy Cow. $231K. I can't even imagine....
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

For that much, it should really fire!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:46 AM   #33
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Whoa... more than triple the high bid estimate. That's just nuts.

It's not like this was *THE* hero type II phaser. It's a rather obscure prop that had more exposure in publicity material than in the 2nd pilot.

It's also clear that the phaser rifle design was distinctly separate from the other props that all had some design commonality (black body material with silver metal trim). It would've been nice if there was at least one or two widgets on it in common with the other prop equipment.

Will it appreciate? Hard to say... But then, several quite wealthy individuals with a lot of disposable income and a burning desire to own an actual TOS prop may have been the cause of the bid fever on this one, far beyond what it could resell for later on.
Old April 9 2013, 01:06 AM   #34
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Will it appreciate? Hard to say... But then, several quite wealthy individuals with a lot of disposable income and a burning desire to own an actual TOS prop may have been the cause of the bid fever on this one, far beyond what it could resell for later on.
Agreed. I'd guess that this buyer got in at the top, and wealthy TOS fans are now aging out of their acquistional years.

That, on a smaller financial scale, is why I thought the TOS soundtrack collection would never come out. I was a little early on that call and happily bought the box.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:07 AM   #35
Christopher
Writer

It's not like this was *THE* hero type II phaser. It's a rather obscure prop that had more exposure in publicity material than in the 2nd pilot.

It's also clear that the phaser rifle design was distinctly separate from the other props that all had some design commonality (black body material with silver metal trim).
Well, that's just the point, isn't it? It's unique, and that makes it more valuable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:32 AM   #36
Melakon
Vice Admiral

One problem I always had with that "Where No Man" rifle was it looks like it's from a 1950's pulp magazine cover, exactly what Roddenberry was trying to avoid. That in itself might have been a factor along with Klamer's reliability problem.

Last edited by Melakon; April 9 2013 at 02:34 AM. Reason: too many exactlys
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 02:38 AM   #37
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Holy Cow. Holy Cow. Holy Cow. $231K. I can't even imagine....
"More Money than Brains" as my late father would have said.
Old April 9 2013, 03:35 AM   #38
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, that's just the point, isn't it? It's unique, and that makes it more valuable.
Unique is one thing, but recognition is another. The type II phaser is far more recognizable than the phaser rifle, having appeared in every episode as opposed to just one.

Melakon wrote: View Post
One problem I always had with that "Where No Man" rifle was it looks like it's from a 1950's pulp magazine cover, exactly what Roddenberry was trying to avoid. That in itself might have been a factor along with Klamer's reliability problem.
Along the same lines, to me the phaser rifle looks like something Gerry Anderson's creative team would have dreamed up for the Thunderbirds.

Also, interesting tidbit--Klamer retained the phaser rifle after the pilot and it remained in his possession. So, despite hefty auction commission fees, he must have raked in some serious cash. Kind of made up for his opting to contract a product licensing fee instead of direct payment for the prop, although I'm sure there was a long stretch of time when he felt that he had made a mistake.
Old April 9 2013, 03:47 AM   #39
Christopher
Writer

Unique is one thing, but recognition is another. The type II phaser is far more recognizable than the phaser rifle, having appeared in every episode as opposed to just one.
Again, yes, that is the point. As a rule, human beings value rare things more than common things. An object that's the only one of its kind, was used just once, and hasn't been taken out of its case in 48 years is just the sort of thing that collectors would consider extra-valuable, and it's naturally going to score higher bids at an auction than a more commonplace object that was used frequently.

Old April 9 2013, 04:38 AM   #40
Maurice
Vice Admiral

For those who ain't seen it, here's Klamer explaining how the prop came to be.

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 03:14 PM   #41
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Again, yes, that is the point. As a rule, human beings value rare things more than common things. An object that's the only one of its kind, was used just once, and hasn't been taken out of its case in 48 years is just the sort of thing that collectors would consider extra-valuable, and it's naturally going to score higher bids at an auction than a more commonplace object that was used frequently.
I see what you're saying... in this case, the prop is uniquely preserved and even comes in it's own case, complete with documentation. None of the other props were preserved or documented as well. I appreciate that elevating the value. I guess the rest of it comes down to how much one appreciates the prop itself. It doesn't come across nearly as well liked as the type II phaser. But, there are people who practically adore the phaser rifle... all you need is two people who feel the same way with an abundance of cash and you've got a bid war.

The prop is nicely detailed too, with aspects you'd never notice during the filming. Like how the 3 pre-fire chambers (ribbed tubes) have color coded retaining rings and that there are matching color indicators on a side panel to suggest either status indicators or controls for each (perhaps 3 levels, depending upon how many of the pre-fire chambers you engage). Also, the rotating handle is an interesting idea, serving dual duty as carry handle and shoulder stock. The only glaring thing is the lack of a trigger guard or obvious safety switch.
Old April 9 2013, 04:48 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

^It looks to me like the three chambers can be rotated, so I assume that's how you set the power level: whichever chamber is in line with the rifle barrel is the one that's generating the beam. I'm guessing green is stun, amber is kill, and red is disrupt/disintegrate.

Old April 9 2013, 04:58 PM   #43
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Maurice wrote: View Post
For those who ain't seen it, here's Klamer explaining how the prop came to be.

Thanks. That was very interesting. Klamer must be a little guy, because the rifle looks much bigger in his arms than it does in the shots w/ Shatner holding it.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 10:01 PM   #44
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

^It looks to me like the three chambers can be rotated, so I assume that's how you set the power level: whichever chamber is in line with the rifle barrel is the one that's generating the beam. I'm guessing green is stun, amber is kill, and red is disrupt/disintegrate.
Kirk does rotate the chambers--counter-clockwise. He does it just as he delivers the line: "If you have not received a signal from me within twelve hours, you'll proceed at maximum warp to the nearest Earth base with my recommendation that this entire planet be subjected to a lethal concentration of neutron radiation. No protest on this, Mark. That's an order."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 10:03 PM   #45
feek61
Captain

Oh man!!

Greg beat me to it!!