A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 8 2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Never been a fan of hers, and this doesn't materially affect my previous impressions. She did one TNG novel - there were reasons for that as well.
So she could do four more?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:04 PM   #17
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Never been a fan of hers, and this doesn't materially affect my previous impressions. She did one TNG novel - there were reasons for that as well.
Off the top of my head, she did at least two: Ghost Ship and Ship of The Line. The first suffered from being done very early on in TNG's run, and the second is either violently loved or utterly hated depending on who you ask.
Old April 8 2013, 06:08 PM   #18
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Off the top of my head, she did at least two: Ghost Ship and Ship of The Line. The first suffered from being done very early on in TNG's run, and the second is either violently loved or utterly hated depending on who you ask.
She did five: Ghost Ship, Descent, Red Sector (Granted, that one was only a TNG novel per name),Ancient Blood and Ship of the Line
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Ah, I see she got a second one in after Roddenberry had passed away. The others were written after the series was off the air.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:25 PM   #20
iarann
Lieutenant

Markonian wrote: View Post
Would you still recommend the novelization for reading it if is that jarring and judgemental of its source material? I like Enterprise, it was the first series that went on screen when I was old enough to watch the pilot episode.
No, personally I would not. It is short, you may as well give it a try if you are a big Enterprise fan or a collector, but I was really disappointed. I had just finished watching all 4 seasons and really loved the show, so I decided I wanted to read all the books and started with Broken Bow. Every other scene she was having a character dissect a line that was just spoken like the example I already gave, or the ones given by Braga. It was really frustrating to me, and I made it about 40% into the Kindle version before I stopped and I still haven't picked it back up nor did have I gotten around to other Enterprise novels yet after that experience.
Old April 8 2013, 07:04 PM   #21
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Ah, I see she got a second one in after Roddenberry had passed away. The others were written after the series was off the air.
Isn't the story that her dedication of Ghost Ship to someone who served in the Marine Corps was a point of contention between her and Roddenberry? Roddenberry wanted it cut because he felt that it glorified the military, Carey was adamant that an author's dedication is a private thing. That was her last Star Trek book until after Roddenberry's death, as I recall.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:12 PM   #22
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

AFAIAC, if Carey is not writing a TOS book she's totally slagging on the characters.

I've recently finished off all the novelizations so I could get them off my un-read shelf and into boxes to put in the garage, including several by Diane Carey, and all I can say is I'm glad that part of my life is over. I've heard she was the go to person for doing some of these novelizations because she could be expected to meet tight deadlines but the final product just didn't work for me.

I've only got 3 Carey books left to read but since they are TOS books I'm hoping they are at least OK. Battlestations!, The Great Starship Race and First Frontier.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:44 PM   #23
zarkon
Captain

ronny wrote: View Post
I've only got 3 Carey books left to read but since they are TOS books I'm hoping they are at least OK. Battlestations!, The Great Starship Race and First Frontier.
GSR & FF were good (FF is a favourite of mine). Been a long while, but I don't remember liking Battlestations.
Old April 8 2013, 08:45 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

AFAIAC, if Carey is not writing a TOS book she's totally slagging on the characters.
I thought her novelization of Voyager: "Flashback" was great. She had to double the length of the story, so she added a really good Kes subplot and a Paris subplot, and she expanded on the ending in a way that made it much more about Janeway's character rather than the pure technobabble climax of the episode. So I'd say it treated the characters pretty well.

Carey's VGR Captain's Table novel Fire Ship is also pretty well-regarded, I think, though it was almost exclusively about Janeway.

Her Dominion War duology adapting DS9's opening season-6 arc took some liberties with the story, but she added a plot thread that made Sisko a more active guiding force. I don't think that was treating him negatively.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:11 PM   #25
Garrovick
Commander

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "slagging", but Ghost Ship was not disrepsectful to TNG in any way. Sure, there were some characterization issues since it was written so early in the show's life (particularly between Riker and Data, also Picard was rather more irritable than usual, at least so I thought), but overall it did treat the characters positively. Overall, I thought it was pretty good for a very early TNG book.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:19 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

^Ghost Ship wasn't just written "early in the show's life" -- it was written while the show was still pre-natal. All Carey had to go on were the first-draft writers' bible and the "Farpoint" script. I don't think she even knew what the characters would look like at that point.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:58 PM   #27
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander

Defcon wrote: View Post
Mysterion wrote: View Post
She did five: Ghost Ship, Descent, Red Sector (Granted, that one was only a TNG novel per name),Ancient Blood and Ship of the Line
Ship of the Line was fine. I am siding with Carey, Enterprise deserves all the criticism it can get.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:40 AM   #28
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

That kind of makes me want to read the novelization of broken Bow now. That sounds like a pretty funny way to write a novelization. The book is a bit too expensive (around $9 on amazon for some reason) but, while I don't hate enterprise like some people do, a book novelization of Broken Bow thats written by someone who apparently hated the script sounds awesome. They should do more books like that. I can think of a lot of horrible movies that deserve a novelization like that.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 01:29 AM   #29
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
That kind of makes me want to read the novelization of broken Bow now. That sounds like a pretty funny way to write a novelization. The book is a bit too expensive (around $9 on amazon for some reason) but, while I don't hate enterprise like some people do, a book novelization of Broken Bow thats written by someone who apparently hated the script sounds awesome. They should do more books like that.
No, no they shouldn't. Or, at least, these books shouldn't be written by people who are supposed to be writing the official novelizations of the shows in question.

What Carey did was unprofessional in the extreme. Going by that and the time, this would go a long way towards explaining why a prolific Trek novelist would suddenly stop producing new novels.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 01:53 AM   #30
JD
Admiral

^Exactly. It just seems unprofessional to me. She was being paid to write an adaptation of the script, not a review or commentary. If this was a fan thing that was supposed to be making fun of the show, that would be fine, but not in a professional novelization.
I'll admit I'm not real happy with the place where I work, but I'm not about to go around telling customers in the store that I hate the place, and they shouldn't shop there.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote