Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old April 7 2013, 09:03 PM   #61
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Timby should love this:

In Miami, the Dinger Machine cost about $2.5 million to build - 22 of 25 players on the Marlins roster make less than that. So the DM makes more money than they do.
You were watching the Mets game today as well I see.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old April 7 2013, 09:13 PM   #62
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Yep. Still am, in fact (also the Yanks/Tigers game). I do so love MLB.TV.
Old April 7 2013, 10:41 PM   #63
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Timby should love this:

In Miami, the Dinger Machine cost about $2.5 million to build - 22 of 25 players on the Marlins roster make less than that. So the DM makes more money than they do.
More dingers for the Dinger Machine. The Dinger Machine demands more dingers.
Old April 7 2013, 10:56 PM   #64
Skywalker
Admiral

Speaking of dingers, Will Middlebrooks hit three of them (and nearly hit a fourth) during the Red Sox' 13-0 thrashing of the Blue Jays. R. A. Dickey gave up five runs in the first inning.
Old April 7 2013, 11:02 PM   #65
Tom Servo
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Speaking of dingers, Will Middlebrooks hit three of them (and nearly hit a fourth) during the Red Sox' 13-0 thrashing of the Blue Jays. R. A. Dickey gave up five runs in the first inning.
Thats was just fantastic to see. I really think this Red Sox team is going to surprise people. They seem like a really balanced team, with the potential to have a fantastic bullpen. Those who predicted a last place finish for them are going to be disappointed.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old April 8 2013, 12:10 AM   #66
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I think Samardzija is going to strike out 25 Braves today.
Huddy can hit...sometimes.
Old April 8 2013, 12:54 AM   #67
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Well that was a crappy day for the Giants, at least on the field. The Ring Ceremony was decent, if a bit corny and the game sucked. Maybe now that the Ceremonies are done we can stop looking at 2012 and finally get into 2013. Let's get a routine going. Let's not have ceremonies before every home game and 2012 was nice but it's a brand new year. Hopefully today is a mulligan (And as we know teams have these from time to time) and move on to the Rockies, who have been playing well to start the season.

The Rings looked mightily impressive though, simple yet elegant.
Old April 8 2013, 01:22 AM   #68
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Nice to see the Yankees pull out a win against Verlander of all people.
Also great to see Tigers and their fans honor Mariano Rivera on his last season.

Timby wrote: View Post
More dingers for the Dinger Machine. The Dinger Machine demands more dingers.
Perhaps the Marlins should sacrifice Loria to it.
Old April 8 2013, 09:30 PM   #69
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I was in awe of what the Rockies have done so far (5-1), but then I remembered that they played the Padres and they'll start facing real pitchers in San Francisco tonight. If the Rox are for real, we'll know soon. I think while their offense will remain pretty solid, their pitching will ultimately let them down.
Old April 8 2013, 09:32 PM   #70
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Cubs intentionally walked Yuni Betancourt today.

What.
Old April 8 2013, 09:42 PM   #71
R. Star
Rear Admiral

What.
I'm sorry but I wasn't sold on Sveum when we hired him last year and nothing he did last season really demonstrated that the team was on the right track.

I guess a Tampa Bay esque strategy of completely sucking and getting a few years of top daft picks to eventually get a cheap, talented core that can compete is a strategy.... just not one I want to watch particularly.
Old April 9 2013, 12:22 AM   #72
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

R. Star wrote: View Post

What.
I'm sorry but I wasn't sold on Sveum when we hired him last year and nothing he did last season really demonstrated that the team was on the right track.
I generally think Sveum is a pretty decent manager, but ... man, giving fucking Yuni an IBB is cause for an immediate head examination.

I guess a Tampa Bay esque strategy of completely sucking and getting a few years of top daft picks to eventually get a cheap, talented core that can compete is a strategy.... just not one I want to watch particularly.
It was pretty much the only strategy the Cubs could implement, to be fair. Hendry saddled the team with so much bad money (Soriano, Marmol's contract, should have sold high on Castro) and spent a decade destroying the farm system; when Epstein and Hoyer came aboard, they didn't have much of a choice but to ride out two or three really awful seasons as they rebuilt the team.
Old April 9 2013, 12:50 AM   #73
Use of Time
Commodore

I'm going to try to inject a topic for discussion. Who do you all consider the best manager in baseball? I'm going to go with Joe Maddon. I don't think there is a guy that gets more out of players than him. While the Yankees and Red Sox spend truck loads of cash on established players the Rays constantly remain competitive in a very tough division.
Old April 9 2013, 12:55 AM   #74
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
I'm going to try to inject a topic for discussion. Who do you all consider the best manager in baseball? I'm going to go with Joe Maddon. I don't think there is a guy that gets more out of players than him. While the Yankees and Red Sox spend truck loads of cash on established players the Rays constantly remain competitive in a very tough division.
The impact of a manager upon wins and losses, beyond setting the lineup and making pitching changes, is generally highly overrated. In Tampa Bay's case, their continued success is due to Josh Friedman being a wizard. But Maddon is a pretty solid guy and I have a lot of respect for how open he is to new-ish statistical analysis, as well as his willingness to try crazy shit with the lineup.

Historically, I would say Earl Weaver. Present-day, it would probably come down to Maddon, Ron Roenicke and maybe Bob Melvin.
Old April 9 2013, 01:30 AM   #75
R. Star
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post

What.
I generally think Sveum is a pretty decent manager, but ... man, giving fucking Yuni an IBB is cause for an immediate head examination.

It was pretty much the only strategy the Cubs could implement, to be fair. Hendry saddled the team with so much bad money (Soriano, Marmol's contract, should have sold high on Castro) and spent a decade destroying the farm system; when Epstein and Hoyer came aboard, they didn't have much of a choice but to ride out two or three really awful seasons as they rebuilt the team.
To be fair... Hendry did exactly what he was hired to do. There was a "win now" mentality that the office and Tribune company seemed to embrace and he did everything he could do to make it happen. He made the big trades, signed the big players, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. He did get 3 division titles from 2003-2011. Which... is more than any other recent GM of the organization can say.