Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 8 2013, 02:22 AM   #76
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Classic monsters return (spoilers)

diankra wrote: View Post
Sorry to resurrect an aging thread, but there's a trailer for next week's episode that suggests they they've totally !!!!!!!!!ed up the Ice Warrior voices. :-(
Suddenly my enthusiasm for the return of my favourite monsters has slumped. :-(
Yeah, the new ice cream is not the same as the old ice cream.
Old April 8 2013, 03:09 AM   #77
The Wormhole
Admiral

Here's a thought: not every Ice Warrior has the same voice?
Old April 8 2013, 06:57 PM   #78
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Good! To be fair, there hasn't been a lot of good Ice Warriors stories.
To be fair, there hasn't be a lot of Ice Warriors stories full stop!

There was "The Ice Warriors" and "The Seeds of Death" in the Troughton era, and the two Pealedon or something stories from the Pertwee era which to my knowledge were not even about the Ice Warriors (I've only seen the seeds of death BTW).

I hope they actually do a good episode this time.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:15 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

^What I particularly liked about the Peladon stories is that they made the Ice Warriors into good guys -- showed that they weren't a uniformly evil race of monsters but were just a nation of beings who could be enemies in some contexts and allies in others. That ambiguity, and the sense of nobility it lent them, made the Ice Warriors one of my favorite DW aliens, and I hope it's reflected in the new episode.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:23 PM   #80
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Oh, goody.

Generic Nick Briggs growly voice.
Old April 8 2013, 09:26 PM   #81
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Nick does pretty good Ice Warrior voices for the audios.
Old April 8 2013, 09:34 PM   #82
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
^What I particularly liked about the Peladon stories is that they made the Ice Warriors into good guys -- showed that they weren't a uniformly evil race of monsters but were just a nation of beings who could be enemies in some contexts and allies in others. That ambiguity, and the sense of nobility it lent them, made the Ice Warriors one of my favorite DW aliens, and I hope it's reflected in the new episode.
Meh, I've never seen the Peladon stories so I can't judge, but I don't like the concept of bad guys turning good.

No, I hope in this upcoming episode we finally get something evil!

Seen the advert or Saturdays doctor who with the Ice Warriors, and they look and sound great! When I saw their picture in the radiotimes I thought they didn't modify them enough, but in the dark shadows of the submarine, they look awesome!
Old April 8 2013, 10:12 PM   #83
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
He might do good voices for them in the audios but, in the new trailer it sounds like he's using the same generic growly voice he's used for other aliens including the Judoon.
Old April 8 2013, 10:19 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Meh, I've never seen the Peladon stories so I can't judge, but I don't like the concept of bad guys turning good.
So do you still consider Germany or Japan, or England or Spain, for that matter, to be an enemy of the United States? Nations can go from being enemies to allies over time as policies and objectives change. Earth and Mars had resolved their differences by the future century in which the Peladon serials took place.

Old April 8 2013, 10:33 PM   #85
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

That's a completely different thing (I'm English BTW). I'm talking bout things like super villains or sci-fi monsters, not real world politics.

As I've said I've not seen them so I can't really judge, just said I didn't like the sound of the concept.
Old April 8 2013, 11:36 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

You really should see the Peladon stories. They're great.

Old April 8 2013, 11:59 PM   #87
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Yeah. I'd like too at some point.
Old April 9 2013, 12:05 AM   #88
diankra
Commodore

Well, I can see where you're coming from, as the notion of the bad guys actually being honourable warriors who'll become your most reliable allies under the right circumstances has become a major league cliche. But when Curse did it to the Ice Warriors back in 72 it was fresh, if not unique, in TV SF (there'd been variants on the old Robin Hood/Little John fight at first meeting and end up as friends trope, but I can't think of any case of an established regular villain comign good). It was a major surprise, on the scale of Han Solo saying: "Actually, Vader hired me to infiltrate you idiots years ago... Here's all their secret codes, Lord Vader." ("Well done, Han. By the way, I am your father. You know, Luke's actually stupid enough to believe he might be my son just because I said so?")
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:05 AM   #89
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
We must agree to disagree there I'm afraid. I think his Ice Warrior voices are terrible.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 12:16 AM   #90
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

diankra wrote: View Post
Well, I can see where you're coming from, as the notion of the bad guys actually being honourable warriors who'll become your most reliable allies under the right circumstances has become a major league cliche. But when Curse did it to the Ice Warriors back in 72 it was fresh, if not unique, in TV SF (there'd been variants on the old Robin Hood/Little John fight at first meeting and end up as friends trope, but I can't think of any case of an established regular villain comign good). It was a major surprise, on the scale of Han Solo saying: "Actually, Vader hired me to infiltrate you idiots years ago... Here's all their secret codes, Lord Vader." ("Well done, Han. By the way, I am your father. You know, Luke's actually stupid enough to believe he might be my son just because I said so?")
Agreed. Plus it's been so overdone now with Moffat (the Silurian and Sontran allys of the Doctor, and the daleks have by far lost their edge since series 5.)

But maybe this version of bad turning good might be better.