Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ALF, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I wrote a long-long post that took too long, so I was logged out while typing up the reply and lost what I wrote, so I'll keep it short this time.*

The violinist was interesting, I wish she hadn't run away yet, it's nice to see Bert Peterson in another way besides knocking objects from people's desks, and Peggy has grown into her role as Creative Director. The scenes involving CGC were my favorite. Hawaii was nice. The Doctor was a good addition to the show and I've always liked the actor who plays him...

... but as for everything else? No.

The rape joke Betty made? Not funny. Sally's attitude? That's going to get old really fast. And someone should've said something about her saying "Betty". Don back to his old tricks? I'm not surprised but I'm disappointed? And with the Doctor's wife? It looks like he's heading down the same path as Pete last year.

[Posted before I lose it again, to be edited.]

Continued: It's hard to take Don's thoughts, or what he thinks in general, seriously when he's going around in circles. With the cheating, I'd say that he's actually regressed as opposed to simply spinning wheels. The burden to carry the torch of interesting story in this relationship is now on Megan. How will she react if she finds out? Will she cheat too, whether or not she does? And, yeah, Don's unfaithfulness in his previous marriage can't be blamed on Betty, no matter how much he tried to use that as an excuse last season for his past behavior.

And why is Peggy still with Abe? They couldn't be more mismatched at this point. And not even in an Opposites Attract manner. They don't compliment each other with their differences, they just don't fit together at all. Except maybe as Peggy's research to see what young guys think of X product or pitch.

And Again: Too many things annoyed me about this episode. The stairway to the second floor calls way too much attention to itself. Don's throwing up at Roger's mother's wake. Roger's scenes with the psychiatrist were overdone. And the random wedding was way too random even though it's obvious it's something that's going to play into later.

The guy in accounts was annoying, but he's supposed to be annoying, and Ken put him in his place, so that's good but, like Sally's attitude, the account guy's persistence will get really old really fast.

Some of the styles look ridiculous now but since that's period-accurate, I can't fault them for it... on a technicality.

It's sad to say this but, from my perspective, I don't think the sixth season is going to be on par with the first five.

* And yes, this is still short compared to what I wrote before.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Very good character actor. He had a recurring role in "Dark Angel" a few years back. He played a doctor then too. In every single scene he was in, he was the best actor on the screen by far.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm re-watching the episode(s) right now. I noticed the look on Peggy's face after she told Abe to listen his music. She's going to dump him. I'll be surprised if she doesn't. I think her and Stan should stay friends but it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up together by the end of the season and I'd take that pairing over the one with Abe.

Whatever happened to Kurt and Smitty? Kurt (and presumably Smitty) were working for CGC in S4. I'd like to see them back.

4. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I had to run an errand and ended up missing some stuff. Who was that Sandy girl Betty was looking for?

5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Sandy was the daughter of a friend of Henry and Betty's who had passed away. It was Sandy's mother who passed away so Betty was trying to be nice to her. Growth of a sort for Betty.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She should have dumped him a long time ago.

I'm halfway through the episode.

At this point I have to admit it seems a little padded. And, while I know it has to happen, the look of the show as it creeps towards the dreaded seventies is a little off putting.

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

She won't dump him, she'll end up cheating on him as she further falls down the "draper model".

8. the G-man

If I didn't know that this wasn't the last season the premiere would've made me think they were setting up Don's death very soon. The episode was full of death imagery surrounding don, most prominently the scene of him in bed lying like a corpse.

9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

The finale isn't that far off. They're stopping after the 7th season, so I doubt they'll continue the series all the way to today.

From what I heard the finale is supposed to have Don today. Out of touch. Perfect for 1960 but totally archaic and unable to relate to 21st century advertising. Hell, he'd be 87 or 88 today so it's not totally outside the realm of believability that he would be the chairman emeritus of Draper/Olsen Advertising and he'll die at his desk.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The show ending in the present is a joke by Weiner. I doubt it'll actually happen.

11. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Yet I would love to see what becomes of the charcters in the following decades. And they are so acurate with the style and fashion, I want to see what they would do with the 70s, 80s and eveb 90s!

12. gblews

They gotta do this!

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I'm still pretty sure the story will end the same way the opening credits have been showing us it will since day one.

14. the G-man

That seems a little too "ending of 'Six Feet Under'" to me.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I always thought that the opening credits were prophetic too. Maybe I can go back to that as a viable possibility if the present day ending bit was indeed a joke.

16. the G-man

Same here

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, given that "Don Draper" is a fabrication, a second skin Dick Whitman took on, it's not impossible the show could end with the "death" of this fictitious persona and Dick Whitman taking on yet another life/identity or even resuming his own.

I heard a lot of people talking about the "death" metaphors, but no one seems to comment on the fact that the situation in "A Star Is Born" mirrors the Don/Peggy one: a man whose career is in decline is eclipsed by the talents of the young woman he takes under his wing.

18. the G-man

Good catch, but I'd suggest the SiB metaphor was Don/Megan (her getting asked for autographs in Hawaii, his ad campaign fizzling) since wasn't the young woman in that movie Mason's wife?

19. gblews

I LOVED the ending of Six Feet Under.

20. the G-man

I did too, but it doesn't mean I want to see another show "borrow" it