Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 7 2013, 10:24 PM   #91
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Tiberius wrote: View Post
As long as it doesn't look like a man in a suit, which to me has been all of them except for the first American one.

No suitimation for this movie. Godzilla will be 100% CGI.
Old April 7 2013, 10:26 PM   #92
Christopher
Writer

I still say they should use performance capture, which is sort of the middle ground between "suitmation" and pure CGI.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2013, 11:37 PM   #93
Gojira
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
I still say they should use performance capture, which is sort of the middle ground between "suitmation" and pure CGI.
I completely agree!
Old April 8 2013, 01:37 AM   #94
DWF
Vice Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
As long as it doesn't look like a man in a suit, which to me has been all of them except for the first American one.

No suitimation for this movie. Godzilla will be 100% CGI.
I seem to recall Roland Emmerich saying the same thing about the '98 movie but in the end they used a man in a suit and mechanical models.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 05:18 AM   #95
Tiberius
Commodore

That's why I never liked the look of Godfilla in the Japanese movies. That upright posture just screams IT'S A FAKE!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 09:02 AM   #96
lurok
Commodore

The man-in-a-suit posture is the best thing!
Old April 8 2013, 09:54 AM   #97
Tiberius
Commodore

lurok wrote: View Post
The man-in-a-suit posture is the best thing!
It looks fake! How good would Jurassic Park have been if the T-rex attack stared Barney the Dinosaur?

I thought so.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 02:44 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer

That's why I never liked the look of Godfilla in the Japanese movies. That upright posture just screams IT'S A FAKE!
And the fact that it's projected on a movie screen doesn't? Or the fact that everything about it is physically impossible? There's no way any living thing could get that large, there was never any dinosaur like that in the fossil record, and heck, plenty of the movies contain blatantly supernatural elements. Of course it's fake. It's all imaginary. A lot of it is allegorical. It's not trying to be realistic in any way.

Would you rather that Kermit the Frog be a CGI creature designed to look exactly like a real frog? Or that Roadrunner cartoons be about a realistically rendered coyote and roadrunner behaving in scientifically accurate ways? (In which case it would be a short and grisly series, since coyotes can actually run more than twice as fast as roadrunners.) Lots of things are supposed to look unrealistic. Kaiju battles are essentially a form of puppet theater, an art form that has a long history in Japan and elsewhere.

That said, some of the later Godzilla movies made considerable improvements in the special effects. There are some impressive ones in the films of the '90s and early 2000s.

Old April 8 2013, 03:49 PM   #99
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

And the fact that it's projected on a movie screen doesn't? Or the fact that everything about it is physically impossible? There's no way any living thing could get that large, there was never any dinosaur like that in the fossil record, and heck, plenty of the movies contain blatantly supernatural elements. Of course it's fake. It's all imaginary. A lot of it is allegorical. It's not trying to be realistic in any way.

Would you rather that Kermit the Frog be a CGI creature designed to look exactly like a real frog? Or that Roadrunner cartoons be about a realistically rendered coyote and roadrunner behaving in scientifically accurate ways? (In which case it would be a short and grisly series, since coyotes can actually run more than twice as fast as roadrunners.) Lots of things are supposed to look unrealistic. Kaiju battles are essentially a form of puppet theater, an art form that has a long history in Japan and elsewhere.

That said, some of the later Godzilla movies made considerable improvements in the special effects. There are some impressive ones in the films of the '90s and early 2000s.

I like the last several movies, they had a guy in a suit at times, but also had CGI scenes to make Godzilla look really huge.
Old April 8 2013, 07:12 PM   #100
Gojira
Commodore

The lumbering upright stance was considered correct in 1954. As I mentioned before I am on another Godzilla related forum discussing this new movie and there are very zealous fans who want the upright stance and are fearful that any more horizontal stance will be like the 1998 movie which many of them cannot stand with a firey passion.

I don't mind the traditional Godzilla stance. However, as it has been noted many of the Godzilla movies in the 2000s did alter that stance a bit even with a man in a suit.

For this movie I want to see something between the traditional stance and the stance used in Godzilla 1998.

I like this picture. I am not crazy about the face but it does depict the stance of Godzilla I would like to see.

Old April 8 2013, 09:11 PM   #101
Christopher
Writer

I think Godzilla should have a human quality to an extent. It's that sense of humanity that makes him an identifiable character that audiences connect with, even when he's the villain of the piece. In the films, he's not just a rampaging animal, but has intelligence, cunning, and determination that let him prevail over all obstacles.

Old April 8 2013, 09:33 PM   #102
Gojira
Commodore

I think Godzilla should have a human quality to an extent. It's that sense of humanity that makes him an identifiable character that audiences connect with, even when he's the villain of the piece. In the films, he's not just a rampaging animal, but has intelligence, cunning, and determination that let him prevail over all obstacles.
I agree with what you're saying. I hope that is conveyed in the movie. How far upright fo you think he should be?
Old April 8 2013, 09:36 PM   #103
lurok
Commodore

Absolutely. Don't want another dumb CGI monster. Boring. I hope Edwards gets the humour as well. Some of the Godzilla films have some great lol moments . Especially when he (?) is weighing up tactics.
Old April 8 2013, 09:54 PM   #104
Gojira
Commodore

lurok wrote: View Post

Absolutely. Don't want another dumb CGI monster. Boring. I hope Edwards gets the humour as well. Some of the Godzilla films have some great lol moments . Especially when he (?) is weighing up tactics.
From what I understand is were are going to get a serious "as if this is happening in the real world" type of movie. So whatever humor is there will probably be natural to the characters.
Old April 8 2013, 10:16 PM   #105
Christopher
Writer

Gojira wrote: View Post
How far upright fo you think he should be?
I'm not thinking about it in such precise terms. Just something that captures the essence of Godzilla.

And for the record, I quite like the design of the creature in the 1998 film. As long as you accept that it was a different daikaiju that was just mistaken for Godzilla (as a line in GMK suggested), it works fine.