RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,112
Posts: 5,432,883
Members: 24,932
Currently online: 636
Newest member: Cani

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 8 2013, 07:58 PM   #16
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

"I am truly taken aback?"


I don't know--are you?

at any rate, yes, the additional footage needed for the DE would of course require the entire framing portion surrounding the extended footage.

But as can be seen in the Peter Preston footage---it's mostly one long uncut take---so that 50 second section would be in one piece in one place.
They had the footage in 1985 when they did the ABC cut and in 2002 when the did the DVD DE edition.

It was incompetence (as they claimed in 2009) OR it was simple greed (setting up a double dip) that prevented the DE from being on Blu.

Not the lack of footage.

I don't mind you pointing out that they are alternate takes were used for some of the additions, I just find it lame when folks throw in little comments on which version is better in a thread that isn't about that.


As I said-- every time the subject of the DEs coming to Blu-ray comes up, some folks just can't resist chiming in how the theatricals are better.

I am glad the folks who prefer the theatricals got that version on Blu-ray.

But when those of us who prefer the extended are talking about when it will come and others are trying to constantly point out that we are longing for something that is inferior, that is --- well, lame.

But if you weren't doing that--I'm glad.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:21 PM   #17
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Grant wrote: View Post
"I am truly taken aback?"


I don't know--are you?

at any rate, yes, the additional footage needed for the DE would of course require the entire framing portion surrounding the extended footage.

But as can be seen in the Peter Preston footage---it's mostly one long uncut take---so that 50 second section would be in one piece in one place.
They had the footage in 1985 when they did the ABC cut and in 2002 when the did the DVD DE edition.

It was incompetence (as they claimed in 2009) OR it was simple greed (setting up a double dip) that prevented the DE from being on Blu.

Not the lack of footage.

I don't mind you pointing out that they are alternate takes were used for some of the additions, I just find it lame when folks throw in little comments on which version is better in a thread that isn't about that.


As I said-- every time the subject of the DEs coming to Blu-ray comes up, some folks just can't resist chiming in how the theatricals are better.

I am glad the folks who prefer the theatricals got that version on Blu-ray.

But when those of us who prefer the extended are talking about when it will come and others are trying to constantly point out that we are longing for something that is inferior, that is --- well, lame.

But if you weren't doing that--I'm glad.
Honestly, I don't really care if you're glad or not - and yes, I was taken aback, just thought I'd clarify that on the off-chance you weren't trying to be smart. Getting into a discussion on the merits of the two versions didn't even cross my mind when I posted. You've extrapolated a raft of meaning from my words that just aren't there - it's pretty sad you're getting so bent out of shape over something so trivial. I still can't believe a quick and completely uncontroversial/innocent post made with absolutely no mischievous intent whatsoever has illicited a response like this from you.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

I managed to make 7 posts without saying which version was "inferior ---IMO"


But in your first post you managed to throw that in. Goody for you---thanks for letting us know where you stand.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:37 PM   #19
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Grant wrote: View Post
"Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

I managed to make 7 posts without saying which version was "inferior ---IMO"


But in your first post you managed to throw that in. Goody for you---thanks for letting us know where you stand.
No, I stated the alternate takes are inferior. Also, I managed to totally avoid going off the deep end and use insulting language about anybody else's posts for absolutely no reason.

Oh, by the way, this is a message board primarily used for people to express their opinions on Star Trek.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:38 PM   #20
Joker
Vice Admiral
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Location: The North
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Grant wrote: View Post
"Methinks...
You're still as charming as that private message you sent me about anal sex all those months ago.

Rock on, sister.
__________________
My name is Pain. You belong to me.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Joker wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
"Methinks...
You're still as charming as that private message you sent me about anal sex all those months ago.

Rock on, sister.

^^^For the last time buddy--no means no!!


Now that we know what takes are inferior and what peoples sex preferences are, any idea, for sure, if the iTunes is taken from an HD master or upscaled.

I'm pretty sure it is an upscale.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:10 PM   #22
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain
 
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Grant wrote: View Post
"I am truly taken aback?"


I don't know--are you?

at any rate, yes, the additional footage needed for the DE would of course require the entire framing portion surrounding the extended footage.

But as can be seen in the Peter Preston footage---it's mostly one long uncut take---so that 50 second section would be in one piece in one place.
They had the footage in 1985 when they did the ABC cut and in 2002 when the did the DVD DE edition.

It was incompetence (as they claimed in 2009) OR it was simple greed (setting up a double dip) that prevented the DE from being on Blu.

Not the lack of footage.

I don't mind you pointing out that they are alternate takes were used for some of the additions, I just find it lame when folks throw in little comments on which version is better in a thread that isn't about that.


As I said-- every time the subject of the DEs coming to Blu-ray comes up, some folks just can't resist chiming in how the theatricals are better.

I am glad the folks who prefer the theatricals got that version on Blu-ray.

But when those of us who prefer the extended are talking about when it will come and others are trying to constantly point out that we are longing for something that is inferior, that is --- well, lame.

But if you weren't doing that--I'm glad.
I don't see greed, or incompetence for the theatrical cuts for the blus.

TWOK was put through a restoration process, rather that simply doing a transfer of a lousy print.

I suspect, and it would make sense, that the theatrical cuts are on the Blu-Rays simply for consistency of presentation.

Otherwise, they might as why we have X as the DE, while Y is the theatrical cut.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:24 PM   #23
Jon1701
Rear Admiral
 
Jon1701's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
"Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

I managed to make 7 posts without saying which version was "inferior ---IMO"


But in your first post you managed to throw that in. Goody for you---thanks for letting us know where you stand.
No, I stated the alternate takes are inferior. Also, I managed to totally avoid going off the deep end and use insulting language about anybody else's posts for absolutely no reason.

Oh, by the way, this is a message board primarily used for people to express their opinions on Star Trek.
The alterate takes are indeed inferior. About the only addition I quite like is the

"That young man is my son"

in the jeffries tube.

The rest don't really add much at all. I don't like the re-editing of the "rednax 5" scene, I'm not sure it needs all the stuff with Scotty's nephew and I hate the way that bones says "admiral, what about the rest of the inspection" in this version. It loses all the humour IMHO.

Oh, and I think Grant totally overeacted IMHO.

IMHO of course
__________________
www.moviebreadbin.com
Movie reviews sponsored by that toupee that Patrick Stewart had sent over from London that time.
Jon1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:33 PM   #24
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
"I am truly taken aback?"


I don't know--are you?

at any rate, yes, the additional footage needed for the DE would of course require the entire framing portion surrounding the extended footage.

But as can be seen in the Peter Preston footage---it's mostly one long uncut take---so that 50 second section would be in one piece in one place.
They had the footage in 1985 when they did the ABC cut and in 2002 when the did the DVD DE edition.

It was incompetence (as they claimed in 2009) OR it was simple greed (setting up a double dip) that prevented the DE from being on Blu.

Not the lack of footage.

I don't mind you pointing out that they are alternate takes were used for some of the additions, I just find it lame when folks throw in little comments on which version is better in a thread that isn't about that.


As I said-- every time the subject of the DEs coming to Blu-ray comes up, some folks just can't resist chiming in how the theatricals are better.

I am glad the folks who prefer the theatricals got that version on Blu-ray.

But when those of us who prefer the extended are talking about when it will come and others are trying to constantly point out that we are longing for something that is inferior, that is --- well, lame.

But if you weren't doing that--I'm glad.
I don't see greed, or incompetence for the theatrical cuts for the blus.

TWOK was put through a restoration process, rather that simply doing a transfer of a lousy print.

I suspect, and it would make sense, that the theatrical cuts are on the Blu-Rays simply for consistency of presentation.

Otherwise, they might as why we have X as the DE, while Y is the theatrical cut.
A Paramount Home Video spokesman told Bill Hunt from DIGITALBITS that they were unaware that the DEs were not ready to go for the Blu-ray until it was too late to include both/all versions of the movies..........

That is incompetence.

If they were lying about that and we eventually get the DEs on Blu-ray again....

that is a double-dip.

Either way both versions of TWOk and all 3 versions of TUC and TMP SLV version could have been put on the same discs as the theatricals.

If they were somehow caught unaware that they had a major motion picture coming out and needed to get their act together for a proper timed release--that's imcompetence.

If they were aware and decided NOT to have multiple cuts ready for the release--that's planning for a double dip.

Also don't forget ST 11 was rerady to go for the Nov 2008 release, but they delayed it to be a summer tent-pole.

That 6 month delay would have been ample time to make sure they had the material they needed for doing seamless branching for the releases.

Re-reading your post makes it seem that you are unaware that through seamless braching we could/should have got multiple version in that 2009 release.

This was not a situation where they were deciding to only release the theatricals. I'm for all the versions being available and TMP & TWOk could have had two and TUC could have had all 3. If the fact that TMP DE wasn't ready to go in 1080p format--that seems like a foolish reason to delay the others by what is it now?--- 4+ years.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
"Methinks the lady doth protest too much"

I managed to make 7 posts without saying which version was "inferior ---IMO"


But in your first post you managed to throw that in. Goody for you---thanks for letting us know where you stand.
No, I stated the alternate takes are inferior. Also, I managed to totally avoid going off the deep end and use insulting language about anybody else's posts for absolutely no reason.

Oh, by the way, this is a message board primarily used for people to express their opinions on Star Trek.
The alterate takes are indeed inferior. About the only addition I quite like is the

"That young man is my son"

in the jeffries tube.

The rest don't really add much at all. I don't like the re-editing of the "rednax 5" scene, I'm not sure it needs all the stuff with Scotty's nephew and I hate the way that bones says "admiral, what about the rest of the inspection" in this version. It loses all the humour IMHO.

Oh, and I think Grant totally overeacted IMHO.

IMHO of course
Thanks for proving my point--any help is always appreciated!
I love it when people state opinion as fact. That really makes other people change their mind.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 09:59 PM   #26
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain
 
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Grant wrote: View Post
OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
"I am truly taken aback?"


I don't know--are you?

at any rate, yes, the additional footage needed for the DE would of course require the entire framing portion surrounding the extended footage.

But as can be seen in the Peter Preston footage---it's mostly one long uncut take---so that 50 second section would be in one piece in one place.
They had the footage in 1985 when they did the ABC cut and in 2002 when the did the DVD DE edition.

It was incompetence (as they claimed in 2009) OR it was simple greed (setting up a double dip) that prevented the DE from being on Blu.

Not the lack of footage.

I don't mind you pointing out that they are alternate takes were used for some of the additions, I just find it lame when folks throw in little comments on which version is better in a thread that isn't about that.


As I said-- every time the subject of the DEs coming to Blu-ray comes up, some folks just can't resist chiming in how the theatricals are better.

I am glad the folks who prefer the theatricals got that version on Blu-ray.

But when those of us who prefer the extended are talking about when it will come and others are trying to constantly point out that we are longing for something that is inferior, that is --- well, lame.

But if you weren't doing that--I'm glad.
I don't see greed, or incompetence for the theatrical cuts for the blus.

TWOK was put through a restoration process, rather that simply doing a transfer of a lousy print.

I suspect, and it would make sense, that the theatrical cuts are on the Blu-Rays simply for consistency of presentation.

Otherwise, they might as why we have X as the DE, while Y is the theatrical cut.
A Paramount Home Video spokesman told Bill Hunt from DIGITALBITS that they were unaware that the DEs were not ready to go for the Blu-ray until it was too late to include both/all versions of the movies..........

That is incompetence.

If they were lying about that and we eventually get the DEs on Blu-ray again....

that is a double-dip.

Either way both versions of TWOk and all 3 versions of TUC and TMP SLV version could have been put on the same discs as the theatricals.

If they were somehow caught unaware that they had a major motion picture coming out and needed to get their act together for a proper timed release--that's imcompetence.

If they were aware and decided NOT to have multiple cuts ready for the release--that's planning for a double dip.

Also don't forget ST 11 was rerady to go for the Nov 2008 release, but they delayed it to be a summer tent-pole.

That 6 month delay would have been ample time to make sure they had the material they needed for doing seamless branching for the releases.

Re-reading your post makes it seem that you are unaware that through seamless braching we could/should have got multiple version in that 2009 release.

This was not a situation where they were deciding to only release the theatricals. I'm for all the versions being available and TMP & TWOk could have had two and TUC could have had all 3. If the fact that TMP DE wasn't ready to go in 1080p format--that seems like a foolish reason to delay the others by what is it now?--- 4+ years.
The Paramount Home Video Spokesperson is not the producer, he's marketing. (S)he's probably dealing with 20 titles at any one time, so not knowing some details says nothing.

The PRODUCERS, and management on that side of things, may have considered things like the DE, but discovered the issue with the VFX being in Standard Def.

If they can't put out the DE, they then decide to go with the theatrical prints.

From there, it would be a pretty quick decision to go with the theatrical release.

That is NOT incompetence, it is a product decision likely based on keeping it all consistent for the package which would be less confusing.

The only incompetence I see evidence for, tenuous at best, is communication within Paramount and CBS (who are producing the disks under license for Paramount, as always), and possibly between marketing and techs. You know, something that happens in any large organisation (that I can absolutely speak to, being in tech support).

Double-dipping? Maybe, if they release extended/directors versions of the movies on Blu-Ray.

And yes, I have read/heard about the encoding issues (excessive DNR and edge enhancement to compensate), which I will judge for myself once I see the set.

Ideally, it would have been nice to include both theatrical and extended versions in the same box set, but they only have so much time and resources, and have to make a return on their investment. Including only the theatrical versions means less manufacturing costs, less authoring work, less encoding work and costs, less lead time from authoring to marketing and release, and a lower dollar amount when buying the product.

And product consistency is very important to a property like Star Trek.

Please, get off your high horse, and stop judging these sets for not being what they were never promised to be.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 10:23 PM   #27
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain
 
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

RE: Seamless Branching. No, I am well aware of that. Used to great effect on the superb Alien Anthonlogy DVDs and Blu-Rays.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2013, 10:25 PM   #28
Jon1701
Rear Admiral
 
Jon1701's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

I'm not sure releasing another version over 4 years later would constitute a "double dip".

They keep re-releasing films all the time, lest they become deleted.

Lets not forget that bringing out a DE was a marketing ploy in itself.
__________________
www.moviebreadbin.com
Movie reviews sponsored by that toupee that Patrick Stewart had sent over from London that time.
Jon1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 04:57 PM   #29
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

Jon1701 wrote: View Post
I'm not sure releasing another version over 4 years later would constitute a "double dip".

They keep re-releasing films all the time, lest they become deleted.

Lets not forget that bringing out a DE was a marketing ploy in itself.
So there is a time limit on double dip? Perhaps, but Blu-ray being a fairly expensive and fairly new (in 2009) format--I think they figured at some point they would release the Director's editions with the very little (3 & 1/2 min on TWOK TUC) and get a re-sale from the diehards.

If we someday get a new set with restored prints for the other 5 and new features such as deleted scenes, etc.---I will grant that's not a double dip. If we get the same exact (or close) set with the extra few minutes for II and VI--I would call that a double dip.

As for incompetence.......

Bill Hunt says he was talking to people involved with the production of the disc (not marketers), who claimed at the time they just figured the extended versions were ready to go.

Personally, I call that incompetence---not being aware till too late that the alternate versions of two of the 6 movies were not ready for remaster in HD.

They didn't even tell Nick Meyer that they were using the theatrical cut for the newly (2009) recorded commentary!!

Listen to his new commentary and at one point he realizes that it's not the Director's cut and he interupts himself and says, "Oh, I wonder why they're using this version?"

...or words very nearly like that.


At any rate we have waited 4 years and will have to wait who knows how much longer (2016 50th anniversary?) for the Director's editions?

If they NEVER release them on Blu-ray--I will happily take back my double-dip claim, but I will be leaning a lot more toward incompetence theory.

There are VERY FEW movies on Blu-ray here in 2013 that don't have multiple versions of movies available, either in the same disc/set or as separate purchases. Too bad Trek is one of the few.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2013, 06:10 PM   #30
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain
 
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
 
Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

I'll have to see if I can find the original interview to gain a far better context on a) who Bill Hunt spoke to, and b) the context of that statement, and where they were in the process.

Nick Meyer now knowing ahead of time is a funny oops, but it's a communications mistake, not incompetence in planning or authoring.

The teams working on the products happen to be human, and thus can, and do, make mistakes, just like you or I.

So crying "incompetence" due to a communication error, and the result of having only the theatrical versions on the disc, frankly doesn't hold water.

There are some what I consider minor issues, based on what I've read, around DNR and edge enhancement, and the newer special features are reported to be disappointing for some, so that to me suggests the project may have been rushed a bit.

However, the product "as designed" appears to me to have been to present the theatrical editions of the movies, and to save the DEs for a future date, possibly due to the TMP DE being prohibitively expensive to recreate in HD for a library title.

Maybe when deciding on what to put on the discs, the person Bill Hunt talked to was at an early stage and assumed the DEs were ready to go then, not knowing about the issues with the TMP DE (Effects and editing in 480i)?
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.