Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 7 2013, 07:11 PM   #136
Danger Ace
Commander

Re: Has star trek changed

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
When you get down to it, TMP is just two and a half hours of people staring at and reacting to funky colours. It doesn't matter how familiar with the source material the director is, there isn't really much any director can do with that kind of script.
But it is still better by far then Generations, Insurrection and Nemesis.

Hell, even Roddenberry himself ended up filling his novelization of the movie with all kinds of weird and off the wall ideas which had nothing to really do with the movie. Like "love instructors"...
Have to chuckle about that. I remember people (me included) going batshit because he included those rumors of a Kirk/Spock romance.

Odd how Roddenberry went on kill David Gerrold's TNG script that dealt with homosexuality (even though it had already been alluded to in TOS with George Takei swashing buckles in the "Naked Time" as well as his wide-eyed appreciation of the gun's phallic form in "Shore Leave").
Old April 8 2013, 02:30 AM   #137
EnsignRedshirt
Lieutenant

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
With something like 526 hours between TNG, DS9 & VOY and 4 cinema outings from the 24th Century, I'll admit to still wanting a much better farewell to that era, than Nemesis. But ultimately it would still be farewell. A nostalgic round-up of characters, two months before retirement, to remind me of the good times we had during the 1990s.
I don't even want that. I want new and fresh characters in the post-TNG era. Admiral or Ambassador Picard may show up if he wants to. But that's it.
^^^

I'd LOVE this and have been wanting it for years and years, but I doubt it would happen anymore outside of perhaps a novel series.
EnsignRedshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 02:38 AM   #138
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

It won't happen. Star Trek as you have known it before is now dead. You have ten movies, 726 episodes, hundreds of novels, magazines, comic books, and so on. From 2009 onward, a new Star Trek has been created, and while it keeps some of the ideas from the first incarnation, it is it's own entity; it's own identity. There will be no returning to the previous incarnation. Enjoy what you have, because that's it.
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 02:49 AM   #139
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Star Trek has not changed. Star Trek was a television show that ran for three seasons back in the 60's and that's it.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 02:50 AM   #140
The Wormhole
Admiral

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
When you get down to it, TMP is just two and a half hours of people staring at and reacting to funky colours. It doesn't matter how familiar with the source material the director is, there isn't really much any director can do with that kind of script.
Insurrection, maybe. But not Generations and Nemesis. I watch both movies a lot more times than I do TMP. In fact, since 2005 I have watched Generations 4 times, Nemesis 6 times, and TMP only 3.
Old April 8 2013, 06:37 AM   #141
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Insurrection, maybe. But not Generations and Nemesis. I watch both movies a lot more times than I do TMP. In fact, since 2005 I have watched Generations 4 times, Nemesis 6 times, and TMP only 3.
TMP can be a bit of a slog. I have the Director's Edition, and it makes the movie quite a bit more enjoyable, in my opinion.
Brony Kingdom
Old April 8 2013, 09:16 AM   #142
Danger Ace
Commander

What follows is merely my opinion:

Nemesis is the first and only movie I ever felt was so bad that I started laughing in the theater and couldn't stop. Gawd, that scene with a bloated, red-faced Riker toasting their dead (not really) comrade Lt. Data was cinematically pathetic (as we still had Data Gump). And Picard looked so frail and small onscreen. The Romulan council chamber looked like it was shot in a closet. After seven seasons they had no dramatic threads to mine ... they had to rip-off The Wrath of Kahn?!?!

Star Trek IX was nothing more than a case of insurrectile dysfunction. It had a plot that would have made a mediocre-at-best television episode (not even a decent two-parter either). Paramount wanted a change-of-pace film to follow First Contact, well, they got what they asked for. Where First Contact was exciting, compelling and epic this one counter-punched with none of that.

Generations was just a bad idea given to novice screenwriters to work out and they failed oh-so miserably. I swear the sole reason for this one was the top brass at Paramount wanting to divorce themselves from William Shatner. No passing of the torch - just dump that over-priced pain-in-the-ass. While it is the most watchable of the three discussed here it was still so much less than it should have been. And the mishandled death of Kirk is too painful to revisit. EVER!

Again, my opinion. I respect the right and reality of others feeling differently.
Old April 8 2013, 09:38 AM   #143
lurok
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
When you get down to it, TMP is just two and a half hours of people staring at and reacting to funky colours.
It's like watching people watching a movie.
Or a screensaver .
Old April 8 2013, 11:17 AM   #144
Infern0
Captain

Nemesis is the first and only movie I ever felt was so bad that I started laughing in the theater and couldn't stop. Gawd, that scene with a bloated, red-faced Riker toasting their dead (not really) comrade Lt. Data was cinematically pathetic (as we still had Data Gump). And Picard looked so frail and small onscreen. The Romulan council chamber looked like it was shot in a closet. After seven seasons they had no dramatic threads to mine ... they had to rip-off The Wrath of Kahn?!?!
Why did it matter that they were older?

I mean really I never can understand that attitude, I mean people get older, look at the real millitary, most of the commanding level officers are older.

If we are that shallow that we need a "hot young cast" well cool, ST09 is for you I guess, for a few years at least until Karl Urban's hair starts graying (he's 40 now, not much of a shelf life), then we'll have to give him the chop and replace with Taylor Lautner.

Simon Pegg is 43 and Balding, so better get him out the door before the next one.

Mind you, some bird had to get her norks out in this one, and that never happened in the originals.

Yes.

Star Trek has changed.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:12 PM   #145
edshrinker
Ensign

\That said, while he is the best choice for Trek in principal, being a non-fan, as a filmmaker and producer I find a lot of his work leave much to be desired.[/QUOTE]

WOW! Than I certainly look forward to your several successful TV series and feature films. They must be AMAZING!
edshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:21 PM   #146
edshrinker
Ensign

That was harsh, InfernO. I am sorry. But you can't think upon rereading that it didn't sound a bit pretentious. I am sure you are talented. But "a lot to be desired" is quite a slam on a very successful writer/director/producer. Not liking his style and dismissing his talent - big difference.
edshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 06:28 PM   #147
Opus
Commodore

Yeah, but "Norks" is funny.

ETA: And TOS did pull out all the norks in its original run in the 60's. TOS created the side-boob shot!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 07:41 PM   #148
Danger Ace
Commander

Infern0 wrote: View Post
Why did it matter that they were older?
It doesn't and I didn't say it did.

Riker being red-faced and bloated speaks more to things other than age. Such as, perhaps, a fondness for distilled or fermented spirits, but definately a lazy attitude regarding his big screen appearance.

As for Picard, that had more to do with bad lighting and poor choice in camera setups and blocking. Patrick Stewart is still a fine actor and has been a commanding presence onscreen in other things since Nemesis.

And what kind of drama or loss can the audience feel towards Data's "sacrifice" when they introduce his special-needs replacement earlier in the movie. This film was a poop-bag of cynical filmmaking for which they should all be ashamed.

So my criticism is centered on things other than age and on things that easily could have been corrected. There was zero reason for Nemesis to be as incredibly bad as it was other than a clear-as-crystal lack of interest in producing a quality work.
Old April 8 2013, 09:30 PM   #149
Rainbow Dash
Osmotic Egghead

Opus wrote: View Post

ETA: And TOS did pull out all the norks in its original run in the 60's. TOS created the side-boob shot!
Yep, and it happened because of three words: William Ware Theiss.
Brony Kingdom
Old April 8 2013, 09:58 PM   #150
Danger Ace
Commander

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post

Yep, and it happened because of three words: William Ware Theiss.
And under the watchful eyes of the great Gene Roddenberry himself (may he rest-in-peace).