Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 4 2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

I recently bought the HD version of the TWOK DE from iTunes, and that brought up one question:

When the DE was released on DVD, has it been mastered in HD and then downscaled to DVD? If that's the case, then I guess that iTunes has the HD master from back then.

Or is it the other way around? Was the movie mastered in SD back then, and has been upscaled for iTunes?

I doesn't look bad at all, definitely better than the SD version, so it might be genuine HD. But I can't say for sure. I'd say it definitely comes from the same master, though.
Old April 4 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Re: Question about TWOK DE (HD) on iTunes

I think it was HD then and then downscaled for SD.
Old April 4 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Grant
Fleet Captain

I rather doubt it was rendered in HD since they claimed they didn't have the extra footage to put the DE on Blu-ray in2009.

Unless they were flat out lying about the fact they had a readily available master of the DE in HD.

Now it's 4 years later and still no sign of the DE coming to Blu-ray---that sounds unlikely if they had it ready to go.

I can see them being too cheap/lazy to convert the extra footage to HD format, but if it had already been done I think we would have seen some '30th anniversary TWOK DE" release last year.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2013, 09:54 PM   #4
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Grant, that sounds like TMP, not The Wrath of Khan.

The new effects for the DE of TMP were done at 480i, mostly using LightWave and other software.

For TWOK, the footage exists on film, and thus Nicholas Meyer's extended cust could theoretically be be done.

It is likely that the films on Blu-Ray are the theatrical versions of the film for consistency of the set, and to avert consumer confusion.

I think I read somewhere that TWOK went through some kind of restoration process beyond a simple transfer and cleanup of the other films, but I don't think they did much to the the films.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Oso Blanco
Commodore

So I take it that no one knows for sure whether or not the HD versions on iTunes are true HD or upscaled SD? In case of TWOK it seems to be the same transfer as the DVD DE, but it's picture quality is quite inconsistant. It looks great in some scenes and almost bad in others. The BD is much better, if only it was the DE!
Old April 6 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
So I take it that no one knows for sure whether or not the HD versions on iTunes are true HD or upscaled SD? In case of TWOK it seems to be the same transfer as the DVD DE, but it's picture quality is quite inconsistant. It looks great in some scenes and almost bad in others. The BD is much better, if only it was the DE!
In the HD version of TWOK when the Enterprise is leaving Regula I to head towards the Mutara Nebula they've color-corrected the shot. In the SD version it's a brownish-red, in the HD version it has a bluish tinge. I figure this would be the easiest way to tell which version it is.
Old April 6 2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Oso Blanco
Commodore

It's bluish on the BD, but this one is the earlier transfer. The question is, if it comes from an HD master or if it has been upscaled from SD.
Old April 6 2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

If iTunes has it in HD, it's real HD. Not upscaled SD.
Old April 8 2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Grant
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
In the HD version of TWOK when the Enterprise is leaving Regula I to head towards the Mutara Nebula they've color-corrected the shot. In the SD version it's a brownish-red, in the HD version it has a bluish tinge. I figure this would be the easiest way to tell which version it is.
"color corrected"
Old April 8 2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Grant
Fleet Captain

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
Grant, that sounds like TMP, not The Wrath of Khan.

The new effects for the DE of TMP were done at 480i, mostly using LightWave and other software.

For TWOK, the footage exists on film, and thus Nicholas Meyer's extended cust could theoretically be be done.

It is likely that the films on Blu-Ray are the theatrical versions of the film for consistency of the set, and to avert consumer confusion.

I think I read somewhere that TWOK went through some kind of restoration process beyond a simple transfer and cleanup of the other films, but I don't think they did much to the the films.
No, I am referring to TWOK.

When questioned by Bill Hunt as to why they didn't release the extended versions of TWOk and TUC on Blu-ray in 2009--they told him that they didn't realize until too late that they didn't have the extended footage readily on hand to be transferred to HD 1080p. So they simply released the original versions only.

TMP is a totally different story where they have yet to render the DE new FX in 1080p.
That would require some work, whereas the 3 and a half minutes of NON fx footage added to TWOK and TUC would be simple to transfer to 1080p and edit into the movie.
Old April 8 2013, 07:14 PM   #11
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Grant wrote: View Post
...whereas the 3 and a half minutes of NON fx footage added to TWOK and TUC would be simple to transfer to 1080p and edit into the movie.
...and let's not forget, a couple of familiar scenes in the TWOK DE are in fact alternate takes! Inferior ones to boot, IMHO. Another reason I was extremely pleased the theatrical version was selected for the initial BD release.
Old April 8 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Grant
Fleet Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
...whereas the 3 and a half minutes of NON fx footage added to TWOK and TUC would be simple to transfer to 1080p and edit into the movie.
...and let's not forget, a couple of familiar scenes in the TWOK DE are in fact alternate takes! Inferior ones to boot, IMHO. Another reason I was extremely pleased the theatrical version was selected for the initial BD release.

That has nothing to do with my post--just an excuse to promote your preferred version of the movie---Lame.
Old April 8 2013, 07:27 PM   #13
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

That has nothing to do with my post--just an excuse to promote your preferred version of the movie---Lame.
Eh, I was just trying to add to the discussion. I truly haven't got the slightest idea why you'd respond to my post in such a way. What the hell's wrong with you?
Old April 8 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Grant
Fleet Captain

Eh, I was just trying to add to the discussion. I truly haven't got the slightest idea why you'd respond to my post in such a way. What the hell's wrong with you?
The discussion is about whether the Itunes HD version is taken from an HD master or is upscaled.

Quoting my post, which is related to the excuse/reason why they didn't release the DE on Blu-ray and therefore, indicates that the iTunes is not taken from an actual HD master of the DE---is related to the thread OPs question.

Chiming in with another, "yipee my preferred version is the one they used for the Blu-ray!" is lame in my opinion.

Every time someone talks about why the DE isn't on Blu-ray or lamenting that it isn't--- a few people always seem to ignore that theme and basically say how happy they are that the theatrical is and that it is superior---which is totally opinion and doesn't have anything to do with why or when the DE will make it to Blu-ray.

There's more wrong with those people than with me.
Old April 8 2013, 07:44 PM   #15
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

The discussion is about whether the Itunes HD version is taken from an HD master or is upscaled.

Quoting my post, which is related to the excuse/reason why they didn't release the DE on Blu-ray and therefore, indicates that the iTunes is not taken from an actual HD master of the DE---is related to the thread OPs question.

Chiming in with another, "yipee my preferred version is the one they used for the Blu-ray!" is lame in my opinion.

Every time someone talks about why the DE isn't on Blu-ray or lamenting that it isn't--- a few people always seem to ignore that theme and basically say how happy they are that the theatrical is and that it is superior---which is totally opinion and doesn't have anything to do with why or when the DE will make it to Blu-ray.

There's more wrong with those people than with me.
Jesus, it was a totally innocent post - I felt the information was relevant in as much as the alternate takes would also have to be sourced for a 1080 transfer. I even stated it was "my humble opinion" with reference to their relative quality. You're being ridiculously over-aggressive and I just can't believe you feel justified in attacking my post in the way you did. I am truly taken aback?