Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 6 2013, 12:04 AM   #46
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: I'm getting a motorcycle.

its a convoluted arseache of a system in the uk.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:04 PM   #47
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

Scout101 wrote: View Post

Kinda dumb to have to take a written test at the DMV, though. You already did that at the MSF course to pass that...
It's the DMV. What, did you expect a government agency to do something that made sense?

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2013, 04:29 PM   #48
Scout101
Admiral

Eh, just saying that Rhode Island figured it out, and they're corrupt as hell, so can't be TOO hard to determine.

Just got my bike out of storage this morning. LOOKS nice out, but still cold as hell. Not quite ready to ride yet, but the guy I keep mine with needed to put his snowmobiles away for the spring, so time to do the swap...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 04:35 AM   #49
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Well, I passed my MSF course! That was without a doubt one of the more challenging things I've done in a long, long time. I did well at things like wide turns and quick stops (I stopped 4 feet shorter than was necessary during the exam) but had trouble with some of the lower speed stuff like the figure 8 u-turns and tighter turns...all stuff I know I can practice once I get my own bike. It was really rewarding to be told I had passed (the best score is 0, failing is 21, I got an 11) after the 3-day experience. I know I'm not 100% ready for the road but that definitely laid a great foundation for learning. I'll probably get my license and just sit on it for a bit A. while I save/look for a bike and B. to get a better rate on insurance when I eventually get one.
Old April 8 2013, 05:00 AM   #50
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Well, I passed my MSF course! That was without a doubt one of the more challenging things I've done in a long, long time. I did well at things like wide turns and quick stops (I stopped 4 feet shorter than was necessary during the exam) but had trouble with some of the lower speed stuff like the figure 8 u-turns and tighter turns...all stuff I know I can practice once I get my own bike. It was really rewarding to be told I had passed (the best score is 0, failing is 21, I got an 11) after the 3-day experience. I know I'm not 100% ready for the road but that definitely laid a great foundation for learning. I'll probably get my license and just sit on it for a bit A. while I save/look for a bike and B. to get a better rate on insurance when I eventually get one.

"Swell."
Old April 8 2013, 07:05 AM   #51
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your reply was supposed to be read as sarcastic. I could be wrong, seeing as that would be absolutely uncalled for...
Old April 8 2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Scout101
Admiral

If you sit on the license, your skills are going to degrade. If you only got 11 on a 0-21 scale, there's definitely still some room for major improvement. Don't bother with the figure 8 in a box, though. That's worthless unless you're taking the MSF advanced rider course afterwards. Think about it: why would you ever do that in real life? You exit the same direction you came in, just drive through. Failing that, you'd put your feet down and back up, not drive in a compliated figure eight...

Get a cheap bike, don't save up for something 'nicer'. Espeically if it means waiting and unlearning everything you just picked up. It's riding season, go find a starter bike. Then you only have to carry cheap insurance (liability) and no reason to carry comprehensive (and put high collision deductible) if the deductible is higher than you paid for the bike. Solves all your problems right there.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 04:09 PM   #53
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your reply was supposed to be read as sarcastic. I could be wrong, seeing as that would be absolutely uncalled for...
"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen."
-Tommy Smothers
Old April 8 2013, 04:33 PM   #54
Pingfah
Admiral

Get a cheap bike, don't save up for something 'nicer'. Espeically if it means waiting and unlearning everything you just picked up. It's riding season, go find a starter bike. Then you only have to carry cheap insurance (liability) and no reason to carry comprehensive (and put high collision deductible) if the deductible is higher than you paid for the bike. Solves all your problems right there.
Totally agreed, just get out there and ride. It's not about looking flash, you can have fun on pretty much anything that starts up.
Old April 8 2013, 06:46 PM   #55
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post

Totally agreed, just get out there and ride. It's not about looking flash, you can have fun on pretty much anything that starts up.
Oh, I absolutely plan to keep practicing. I have a couple friends who have volunteered to let me put around on their bikes to keep developing my skills. I just didn't want to get on their bike at all before I had at least taken this course. As for getting my own bike, even the "cheap" bikes are a little out of my price range right now in terms of paying cash so I'll need to save up for even a super-super-cheap bike at this point. It's not a matter of saving for something fancy, it's a matter of not having any extra income right now for anything over a couple hundred bucks.

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
-Tommy Smothers
While I am very impressed with your ability to quote other people, I have no idea what you're talking about. If you don't have anything constructive to provide you can always simply avoid this thread.
Old April 8 2013, 07:33 PM   #56
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I absolutely plan to keep practicing. I have a couple friends who have volunteered to let me put around on their bikes to keep developing my skills. I just didn't want to get on their bike at all before I had at least taken this course. As for getting my own bike, even the "cheap" bikes are a little out of my price range right now in terms of paying cash so I'll need to save up for even a super-super-cheap bike at this point. It's not a matter of saving for something fancy, it's a matter of not having any extra income right now for anything over a couple hundred bucks.

-Tommy Smothers
While I am very impressed with your ability to quote other people, I have no idea what you're talking about. If you don't have anything constructive to provide you can always simply avoid this thread.
What's really impressive is how when I posted that quote, it was merely to (indirectly) respond with a "feel free not to read what I post" (e.g. "...the right of people not to listen.") ... only then to have you come back with a reply again that this time satisfies the entire point of the quote to begin with (vis-à-vis a crude attempt at censorship by telling me to "simply avoid this thread.")

Actually, I take it back. I don't know if I should be impressed or not.
Old April 8 2013, 07:35 PM   #57
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Old April 8 2013, 07:38 PM   #58
Avon
Fleet Captain

doubleohfive, this is a thread about him getting a motorcycle so i'm not sure what your point is with all that.

i mean you can't listen to writing, you read it. so "don't read it if you don't want" is the same as "don't listen if you don't want".

your quote has the same meaning as what you were responding to. is that the point? if so... doesn't seem like something to be impressed by.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

Last edited by Avon; April 8 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:19 PM   #59
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

"Swell."
-Tommy Smothers

-Tommy Smothers
What's really impressive is how when I posted that quote, it was merely to (indirectly) respond with a "feel free not to read what I post" (e.g. "...the right of people not to listen.") ... only then to have you come back with a reply again that this time satisfies the entire point of the quote to begin with (vis-à-vis a crude attempt at censorship by telling me to "simply avoid this thread.")

Actually, I take it back. I don't know if I should be impressed or not.
005, it's one thing to criticize someone if you actually disagree with an action they've taken, but it's hard to see this string of posts as anything more than you being needlessly antagonistic in an innocuous thread because of a personal grudge. There was nothing about that original post you quoted that deserved sarcasm or ridicule. Please stop replying to this thread unless you have something genuinely constructive to add.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2013, 08:30 PM   #60
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Roger that. Flux, my apologies for de-railing your thread as I have.